A Ritual to Danu, The Irish Celtic Goddess

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Stephanie Mae

A Ritual to Danu, The Irish Celtic Goddess

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Danu is the great mother goddess of all celtic gods and goddesses, as well as The Tuatha De Dannan. She is one who came before everything else. She is known for blessings, protection, abundance, rivers and the moon. Her children were the waters of eternity and known for light and order.

Color- Silver, White
Symbol- Black cauldron filled with water.

Ask Danu for guidance and blessings. Picture yourself on the bank of a vast river. Listen to the water flow and feel the coolness of the grass beneath your bare feet. Picture yourself wading into the calming, gentle water and ease back, allowing Danu to hold you along the river. Listen to her whisper and trust her to carry you safely. Feel the water and the cool river bed with your fingers. Emerge when you feel ready and begin your ritual.

The following is a Ritual I use to honor the goddess Danu:

Body of water (pond, creek, river, sea, stream)
A white candle
A Sacarifice or Gift

Giving a sacrifice or gift is something you hold dear. Giving something sacred to a god or goddess is a way to give thanks, while making room for those that are truly needed. I always wear a sterling silver ring on my thumb, so when I work this ritual I always use my sterling silver ring as my gift or sacrifice.

Light your candle and take in the light of the moon over the water.
"I gaze a moon upon the water,
I can scarcely perceive one from the other,
the water cascades from the silver glow,
while it caresses the shores below,
I am immersed in the radiance of stars above,
and bathed in the waters of harmony and love,
the silver glow is fluid and velvet cool,
and more ample than any night before amidst a moon."

I usually dance in the water to Clair de Lune (one of my favorite songs, pick one that is meaningful to you), until the candle burns out. Then I give thanks to Danu for her blessings and protection.

Notation added Jan 3 2009:
After my son was born, I saved the placenta (yes, I received all kinds of weird looks from the hospital staff). I performed this ritual a few days after I arrived home with my son, to thank Danu for blessing me. As my sacrifice I offered the placenta. This is a great sacrifice for Danu, as she is the mother goddess. It is also a wonderful ritual for new mothers.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

So beautiful =) Thanks for that, i have dedicated my pregnancy rite of passage to Danu so this will do great in my baby book of shadows hehehe
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

me too this is a awesome spell defianly putting this in my book of shadows.
pink1

xoxxox

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”