My Ouija board worked for the first time ever but...

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
Lunair

My Ouija board worked for the first time ever but...

Post by Lunair »

My friend is now experiencing a strange perfume scent at her house since we used the board today. Its making her nauseous plus she told me that all three lights in her room flickered and that she thinks she saw something white pass by her room quickly. I closed the session, said goodbye, and everything. I even told the entity/spirit that it can't attach itself to any one and that it has to leave, I did this with all seriousness and respect. Can you please explain why the scent (which doesn't make me nauseous) is affecting her? I feel quite guilty, I mean I suggested to do it.
Iset

Re: My Ouija board worked for the first time ever but...

Post by Iset »

When you're dealing with spirits things can get a little unpredictable. Did you use a protective circle when using the ouija board? I find using the circle keeps 'guests' from escaping, but also keeps other unwanted guests from gravitating toward the magical field. I find if I don't use the circle I get what I call 'gremlins' and things start to disappear or I see weird shadows and flickers around.

That being said, my personal solution is I generally use some heavy smudging and ring bells all around the house to get them to leave. I find spirits are really sensitive to loud sharp noises and it gives them the hint that they're not wanted.
I've changed my username from RisingPhoenix to my craft name Iset!
Lunair

Post by Lunair »

Hmm Ive never heard about the bells warding off spirits before, I'll see if she can do that(she's not a wiccan). I did cast a circle before starting like I always do, but I
might've been a little careless when doing it this time. I casted a protection spell for her and me last night, and made a protective pendant for her. Thank you Rising Phoenix for your helpful suggestions and information.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Lunair. To understand interesting (possible) metaphysical phenomena we encounter like this, it's really important to first eliminate all possible physical or other mundane explanations for the phenomena. Only after that could a reasonable metaphysical discussion about it take place. Before drawing conclusions, we need to be little "armchair scientists," testing this and eliminating that. And even then, it's advisable still to keep an opened mind, because evidence revealed later (or initially misinterpreted) could throw original conclusions out the window entirely, lol. As you may have noticed by responses many posts here receive from mods, supports, and well-versed people like Vesca, AdastraJunction, Anaistar, and others, "healthy skepticism" tends to be a rule of thumb, and in my opinion, a better approach to metaphysics in the long run.

Lunair wrote:Can you please explain why the scent (which doesn't make me nauseous) is affecting her?
It seems that you and your friend are convinced that your friend is experiencing clairolfaction. Based on what little was stated in your original, brief post, I don't feel I personally have enough information to draw the same conclusion. I'm wondering if there are physical phenomena in the surroundings that haven't been sufficiently eliminated that could be contributing factors. I wonder, too, what the overall mental state of your friend is. As reflected in my post, Find Balance, I find that people who are hit-and-miss about their health (i.e., don't eat well, don't get adequate sleep, frequently drink alcohol and/or use drugs, tend to neglect regulating their thoughts and emotions, etc.) sincerely believe they're experiencing psi phenomena, when they're actually experiencing "hallucinatory byproducts of poor health." And I would also question what the motivations for the session were. Was it kind of just frivolous (trying to "demonstrate" or prove spirits exist for entertainment, "the fun of it"), or more serious (for instance, trying to contact a specific someone for a specific reason, or trying to obtain an answer to a serious question)?

And I would have other questions.

But, to keep this post short and sweet (OK, well, shorter, lol --I don't know that I'm capable of keeping any writing short and sweet), let's go with the conclusion you have drawn that: your friend is indeed bothered by smelling a spirit's perfume since the two of you used a ouija board in her home (ha, that's a whole bunch of unsubstantiated conclusions packed neatly into one bundle :wink:, but anyways, let's go with that for now).

If your interpretation of this situation is correct, the reason the scent is affecting her and not you could be due to any of a number of reasons. It could be because the purported spirit is attached to her and not you, so that's why it makes itself known to her and not you. It could be because her clairolfaction is very well-developed, moreso than yours, and that's why she smells the scent more intensely. It could be that particular smell just makes her nauseous, as would any other smell here in the physical plane that she just doesn't like, and that's why it doesn't bother you (btw, you never stated whether you also smell the perfume).

If your interpretation of this situation is correct, I would also suggest that after a few days or weeks, the purported visitor will probably go elsewhere...that is, if your friend doesn't keep "feeding the troll." And that would be a matter of perspective, really. This experience should underscore for both of you guys that all actions result in some kind of consequences, as in the physical realm, so in the spiritual. For example, if your friend left a baked chicken on her front lawn overnight, would she be surprised the next morning finding a cadre of stray cats joyfully feasting on it ? Likewise, if one opens a spiritual portal in one's home, should one be surprised with the results?

Talismans, magic circles, protective spells, bells and whistles...they're all well and good, but ya' know, spirits are gonna' do what spirits are gonna' do! I think that if she continues reacting to the (supposed) olfactory evidence of the (supposed) spirit's presence, then it may stick around for a while, if for no other reason than to enjoy the little energy-vampiring opportunity your friend's drama over its smell is providing (this is another reason why we should regulate our thoughts and emotions as much as possible, and why mentally/emotionally ungrounded people should not be dabbling in metaphysical experiments). I think it might be of great benefit to your friend if she were to refrain from reacting to the smell and other things she perceives as being evidences of a spirit's presence. It may help her to try to maintain a more level-headed view like, "Well, I chose to use a ouija board in my home, and got results. What else was I expecting? Now I just have to deal with it. This too shall pass."

Honestly (and this is just my personal op), I find ouija boards to be overkill. Unless a person has a really, really good reason to open an extraneous portal in this plane, I don't suggest doing it. I believe We Are All Walking Portals, directly connected --at any given moment-- to different dimensions (or "densities," as some call them), different time lines, different star systems, different races of beings (depending on our genetics we share with them), etc. I think we are all able to access "The Veil" simply using our intention and concentration. I think psi ability is natural and intrinsic to our collective DNA, and that tools, gods and goddesses, while assisting us to focus, are really not that necessary. If we want to contact something or someone, all we have to do is ask. Meh, that's just me (read other peoples' opinions about this popular, oft-debated topic, here: Ouija Boards...Dangerous, or Not?).

Anyway, I want to emphasize a little bit that the quality of the motivations for the session will have a lot to do with the quality of the spirits that arrive, and the form of their behavior that results. Your remorse as regards this experience reminds me of that experienced by a boy in a past episode of The Dead Files. Whenever using the board, it may be a good idea to honestly and introspectively examine your motives. Is there ego involved? If so, not good. Won't get good results. And, may end up hurting someone in the end (all of that applies to spell work, too).

I will conclude with the suggestion that if you do use the board again, try using it in a location other than your or someone else's regular dwelling place. But if you or another participant still get resultant "hitchhikers" (as firebirdflys likes to call them, lol), or other unexpected results, keep things in perspective.

Lunair

Post by Lunair »

Merrymeet Kassandra, well I kept asking her if it was any detergent she uses and she said no( I can smell it too and its a scent that was in a body mist I used years ago). Anyways yes my friend is mentally sound, emotionally I'm not sure because she's much more sensitive than me because of past events. The smell doesn't make her nauseous anymore but I guess now whenever she's outside her room in her house she becomes a little I'll. Honestly if it is some type of bad spirit bothering her I think its because of all her built up negativity throughout the years and the fact that she's not willing to forget the trauma-related past and just brings it up half the time. Maybe I'll have to do a peace of mind spell for her because she won't bother with a counsler(she already went to one in highschool)

Return to “General Divination”