Spell Books and sites

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
LC

Spell Books and sites

Post by LC »

Is there certain spell books and sites that are recommended. There is so much out there. Is it trial and error?
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Spell Books and sites

Post by SpiritTalker »

Check the media section for book reviews. There's no one single book everybody agrees on. People use what is most attractive to themselves.

There are popular magical grimoires like the "Greater and Lesser Keys of Solomon", & these are not easy reading, yet some practices that evolved into common acts used today can be traced to them, like magic squares. Also The SATOR and Abracadabra spells are old one's you can google. Popular folk magic spells Witch's Bottle, Witch's Ladder, Nine Knot Spell & petitions are in the "Simple Spells" post in spell section.

If you want a spell book like a cookbook set of ingredients & instructions, Judica Illes Book of 1001 Spells, & other spell books by her provide quite a lot.I just prefer to write my own.

Edit: and since posting this I've noticed Wicca Book of Spells by Lisa Chamberlain is a good starer book & inexpensive.
LC

Post by LC »

Thank you! I'm still trying to find out what pulls me the most.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Think about what style you like and what you have available to support it. And consider your location ... Desert, seaside, woodland, downtown, suburban, mountain, etc. Consider the land itself and what draws you. You work where you are at ... Not where your fantasy wishes you could be, unless you have means to move.

Some people are drawn to the ceremonial and ritual stye, which can be costly. Others to the grass roots, "natural" style, and still others are the homey, work with everyday items type. And then there are spirits of ancestors, or nature spirits that can be worked with. Maybe you have particular talents for scrying, clairvoyance, astral travel, spirit contact ... And can develop along your talent.
Don't worry if you haven't identified it yet. It comes when it comes and we're ready to deal with it. Just saying, if you already have an idea.

Again, work with the real you, using what skills or attractions you already have, and build from there.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

SpiritTalker wrote:.... "Green Magic" by Ann Moura, and there's a whole Green series by the same author.
I just crashed over into ebay books and bought these used;
Green Magic
Green Witchcraft I
Green Witchcraft II
Green Witchcraft III
Mansions of the Moon
Grimoire of the Green Witch
Tarot for the Green Witch
Origins of Modern Witchcraft

all by Ann Moura.

Thanks ST
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I can envision you hunkering down for a long night and three cups of tea. I hope you enjoy. :)
pagankeith

Post by pagankeith »

I would always recommend two books:

Bucklands Complete book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland
Solitary Witch by Silver Ravenwolf.

In my own opinion great stuff :)
"Ever Mind the Law ye must in perfect love and perfect trust..."
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

pagankeith wrote:I would always recommend two books:

Bucklands Complete book of Witchcraft by Raymond Buckland
Solitary Witch by Silver Ravenwolf.

In my own opinion great stuff :)

Just picked them both off of ebay. Thanks.

Gonna have a full bookshelf in my sanctuary, yet.
pagankeith

Post by pagankeith »

See there ya go!
"Ever Mind the Law ye must in perfect love and perfect trust..."
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I was just browsing at Amazon, a favorite pass time of mine. I came across Silver Ravenwolf's newest offering "Witching Hour" and the table of contents is worth a look. It looks like a how-to brew book, plus some wild crafting guidelines. Take a look. It's not the first time she's come out with a spell book & her books often include spells, this is more detailed. I have always liked SRW's style. This might be a starting place.
LC

Post by LC »

I like SRW’s work. I have 2 of her books. I’m definitely checking the books mentioned here out!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

SRWs Solitary Witch is very good and huge. Don't drop it on your toe!
LC

Post by LC »

SpiritTalker wrote:SRWs Solitary Witch is very good and huge. Don't drop it on your toe!
I got a some new books from the suggestions onto my kindle. Then my kindle messed up and I had to wipe everything and then put it all back on. I've given it two days to reload the books. I also have a library account that has overdrive so I have borrowed 6 different books to look at. I have a couple of Cunningham, Buckland, and the rest is a general overview from authors I have not heard before.

I'm still trying to figure out stuff. So I am hoping to found stuff that gives different approaches.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

To get different approaches you need material discussing different time periods of witch craft development based in different geographic areas. Broadly, Wiccan authors discuss their own ways (stemming from Western Occultism that traces its roots to Old Egypt); Traditional-by-Region WC authors discuss their type (reconstructed indo-euro Shamanism); & folk magic - IMO the original eclectics - mixes from here 'n there. Dunno if that's relevant to your search.

Edit - that may be more headology than your intent, if you are just trying to decide your particular "style" like ceremonial ritual versus hearth/kitchen, urban vs country, etc.
LC

Post by LC »

SpiritTalker wrote:To get different approaches you need material discussing different time periods of witch craft development based in different geographic areas. Broadly, Wiccan authors discuss their own ways (stemming from Western Occultism that traces its roots to Old Egypt); Traditional-by-Region WC authors discuss their type (reconstructed indo-euro Shamanism); & folk magic - IMO the original eclectics - mixes from here 'n there. Dunno if that's relevant to your search.

Edit - that may be more headology than your intent, if you are just trying to decide your particular "style" like ceremonial ritual versus hearth/kitchen, urban vs country, etc.
There some areas that I don’t seem to understand like astrology. I did see a shamanism-witchcraft book I was interested in but was too nervous to get. I love learning about different cultures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “F.A.Q.”