How to pronounce Hecate

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
kgwitch

How to pronounce Hecate

Post by kgwitch »

I've heard it pronounced a few different ways. I personally say 'Hec-a-tay'.
However I have also heard 'Hec-ar-tee' and 'Hec-et' used. What do you guys think?
Moon_Child

Post by Moon_Child »

I say it the first way Hec-a-tay. There are a lot of words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently.
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: How to pronounce Hecate

Post by LaFiamma »

kgwitch wrote:I've heard it pronounced a few different ways. I personally say 'Hec-a-tay'.
However I have also heard 'Hec-ar-tee' and 'Hec-et' used. What do you guys think?
Heck'-uh-tay, I believe is the closest phonetic writing to the correct pronounciation without getting into fancy linguistic notations.

I have never heard of hec-ar-tee and can't even begin to imagine why anyone would put an "r" sound in there.

Heket/Heqet is the name of an Egyptian goddess.
kgwitch

Post by kgwitch »

Good, so I got it right then. It has been pronounced loads of different ways particularly in the media.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Probabaly the most accurate references to Hecate on tv. They pronounce it Hek - uh - tay so they got it right.

Charmed: Pronounce it Hek - ar - tee, but also turn her into a demonic man killer so I never took that one much into account. And they say they did research on modern day witchcraft for that show :roll:

Macbeth: I saw a production a while ago and they pronounced it Hek - et. Although she was a leader rather than a goddess.

Anyway, the media can be innacurate I know but it has such an influence now a days it can make you unsure of things yourself, you know?

Charmed made me the most angry, turning her into a demon! If it was any other religion's deity they'd be sued!

Anyway, I digress. Glad I've been pronouncing it right lol.
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

kgwitch wrote:Charmed made me the most angry, turning her into a demon! If it was any other religion's deity they'd be sued!
Nah they wouldn't. People would grumble and complain, but I seriously doubt there would be a law suit.
Greek_Male_Witch

Hi

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

if you seek the greek way of pronouncing this name is He-ka-tee (the last is pronanounced like tea)
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Greek_Male_Witch

charmed

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

As about Charmed,is a common mistake believing Hecate was a demon Goddess,but the truth is that Hecate wasn't evil,she was Goddess of the dead or Goddess of Underworld,people in ancient Greece were afraid of visiting graveyards at night because they were believed that Hekate made the corpses come alive and seeking flesh to eat,scary huh?
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
Kaliona Tanwen

Post by Kaliona Tanwen »

I'm sure I once read somewhere about it sometimes being spelled Hexate, which may account for why some people pronounce it with the "ar" sound. But I can't remember where I picked that little snippet of information up. I have a dreadful memory.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Oh Hecate!!! She is one of my favourite Goddesses =) I have her key to the underworld tattoo'd on my forearm ^_^
rainysoul

Post by rainysoul »

I always said it more like,

Heh-Kate. /shrug
RuneGeek

Re: charmed

Post by RuneGeek »

Greek_Witch wrote:Hecate wasn't evil,she was Goddess of the dead or Goddess of Underworld
Agreed. She was in fact one of the Titans in the older lore.
veronicarhiannon

Post by veronicarhiannon »

I have heard her name pronounced many ways. The Lady Hekate is my patroness she came to me in a new moon ritual. I did reasearch and found the h in her name is silent making it eh-ka-tay, I also call have called her by Heh-ka-tay either way she answers so I guess she doesn't care? And she is not an evil Goddess but she is strict.
ImperfectAngel

Post by ImperfectAngel »

Ok maybe I'm slow but I do not remember a demon on Charmed relating to Hecate/Hekate....and I know every episode by heart.

And personally i think Charmed is great as far as terminology, and related subjects of witchcraft but I think some people forget that it is just entertainment.....first and foremost. it's not a "Guide on how to be a witch"
ImperfectAngel

Post by ImperfectAngel »

Ok nevermind....I remember now...it's the wedding from hell one

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”