Potion Question

Potions go here. Keep it nice please. No poisons.
reikihealer83

Potion Question

Post by reikihealer83 »

Hi Everyone,

I have a quesiton directly related to brewing potions. What types of bases would you use for potions? I am just confused as to where to start with them and am just looking for some guidence. I am thinking about protection potions as well as potions to aid the opening of the spiritual self. Any ideas would be wonderful!

Thanks!
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

I always use a pomace brandy. It might be easier to find under the name, grappa. My mother uses vodka.

Herbs for protection:
-Agrimony; safe to ingest, usually used medicinally for gallstones or constipation. You could ask Danu or Aine for protection while working with this herb. Might make you sleepy or cause very minor diarrhea.

-Angelica; safe to ingest, might make you hungry. You could ask Danu or Dagda for protection while working with this herb. This mixture would also break any cruses trying to cross you. You would use the root.

-Mallow; safe to ingest, usually used medicinally for sore throats and colds. You could ask Dagda for protection while working with this herb. You would use the leaves.

-Blackberry; safe to ingest, usually used medicinally for diarrhea or appendicitis. You could ask Brigit for protection while working with this herb. You would use dried blackberry root.

All of the above herbs are great for beginners, and very safe to use. You would mix 1 part water to 4 parts alcohol to 1 part herb. I would also suggest you research and study before you try mixing any elixirs. No need to rush into the process, just learn and wait until you have complete confidence in yourself.
zenine

Post by zenine »

Wow! Who knew potions could protect people too! :o
To see the world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower. To hold infinity in the palm of your hand, An eternity in an hour.
(William Blake)
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

I personally think it depends on the potion you're making. Vodka is a great thing to use as it really helps to get all the essentials out of the herbs. Though for some, boiling some water like when making tea, as teas can be seen as a potion, will also work. I think you really have to think about what you're doing the rest of the day plus sometimes the next day whenever you make a potion, cause as Stephanie said, some can cause you some issues.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Thorn Healer

Post by Thorn Healer »

In my opinon water is always the best bae to start with if youre a beginning brewer and then once you have a good grasp on infusions using water work on the tinctures using the hard alcoholic basses.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Thorn Healer wrote:In my opinon water is always the best bae to start with if youre a beginning brewer and then once you have a good grasp on infusions using water work on the tinctures using the hard alcoholic basses.
Thank you Thorn! That will help a ton :)
Thorn Healer

Post by Thorn Healer »

youre quite welcome!

Return to “Potions”