books

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
flowersofthelady

books

Post by flowersofthelady »

can anyone reccomend any non wiccan witchcraft or pagan books? im interested in this other view on things.
i have "the witches bible" that my hubby brought but not read it yet. anyone else read this?
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

Well, I have read a LOT of books.
But I'll focus on buddhist, christian, and general books as you don't want wiccan.

Buddhist books:
Understand the Dalai Lama by Rajiv Mehrotra
Buddhism Plain & Simple by Steve Hagen
Ajahn chah's online book

General Ethics/Morals/Universal laws:
A Higher Standard of Leadership by Keshavan Nair
Life itself
The Proverbs part of the bible is full of much wisdom
The kybalion by the three initiates

Christian:
Sermon on the Mount by Emmet Fox
The bible (proverbs and psalms mostly)
A course in Miracles by the foundation for inner peace

That's it for now,
Love and light
All I know is I love you.
That's about all I can do.
flowersofthelady

Post by flowersofthelady »

thank you i'll look into those!

i just realised i completly worded my post wrong! what i meant was..
can anyone reccomend any pagan or witchcraft books that are not wiccan LOL.

i can be so stupid LOL
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

Frater U.: D.:, High Magic

Joyce & River Higgenbotham, Pagan Spirituality: A Guide to Personal Transformation

Marian Green, A Witch Alone

Starhawk , The Spiral Dance

I've only read the bottom two, but the others were non-wiccan books recommended by this site (one I find respectable and intelligent and Non-fluffy) in their "books" section.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Witchcraft: Theory and Practice
Buckland's complete book of Witchcraft
Celebrate the Earth: A Year of Holidays in the Pagan Tradition
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

What we today call Witchcraft is really just a remake of many old superstitions and magical practices. Some, probably most had some element of spirituality about them but not all.

We of the 21st century know that superstition is not valid. An example of a superstition would be a magical practice where villagers would go out and beat the earth they were going to plant their seeds in, in the coming spring time. They did this because they believed that if they didn’t the earth wouldn’t “wake up” and the seeds would never sprout. Now, we know better than that.

But, not all magic throughout history is based on superstition. Lots of it was based on learning believe it or not. I’m speaking now about the people who were sometimes called the Wise Ones. These were the people who understood the seasons, herbs, had some very (and I do mean very) basic medical knowledge, things like that. Much of the magic we are rediscovering today was known to these people.

So, what all of this is getting at is to say that if you are interested in learning about the ways of these old Wise Ones I’d suggest some good history books. You’ll learn about the way it really was instead of some individual’s interpretation of how it was.

Start with the Fox Fire books. Not the little pamphlets but the full and complete editions.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

People still wake up the landvaettir after spring. It's not all superstition. ;)
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”