Advice regarding blessing /appeasing

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Asch

Advice regarding blessing /appeasing

Post by Asch »

So,I live on a third of an acre and its VERY overgrown. I'm hoping to tame it when the weather warms some and get it back into shape. My mother was an avid gardener but she passed away in'06 and since then it's run riot.

My question is this, should I take steps to appease anything I might upset by weeding,cutting back overgrowth,and generally cleaning up? I want to have a well kept yard but I don't want to upset things in my immediate area.

Thougts?
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
Ravencry

Re: Advice regarding blessing /appeasing

Post by Ravencry »

Just weed and cut back overgrowth. If you have dandelions, I suggest you keep them and use them in salads and teas. Dandelion is basically a cure-all.
Asch

Post by Asch »

Yeah I've got Dandelions and a few other semi wild herbs. As well as some blackberries, unfortunately they're all weedy and non-fruit bearing, unless you count two berries as being fruit bearing :)
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

Do you mean appeasing nature spirits?

In germanic mythology they're called the landvaettir (landwights or landdisir). Most cultures have some form of them, though, and they're usually seen as outside of religion and just as beings that are, despite your personal tradition. If you want to believe in them/know them then you should definitely take steps to ensure you don't offend them, frighten them, or destroy their homes.

Have you ever been somewhere outside and this one piece of land, or a certain tree, or rock feels special? It either has some ethereal beauty, or stillness, or power, or it's just a place that can make you feel as though fairy tales are real? That's a landwight's home. I'm sure there's something on your land like that that you can find, if you don't know of it already. You should get to know them by bringing out a plate of food and eating it next to their home and sharing some with them. Or you could leave offerings for them to eat alone. It's winter now, though, so they may be sleeping- unless you live in a warmer climate? I would still spend time visiting the area.

Before you make any major changes to the land you should ask their permission and make sure you won't be disturbing their home. In Iceland they still believe in the wights, and before the Air Force base was built a woman came to the foreman in a dream and asked him to wait until her family moved from their boulder. To the Americans' chagrin, he halted construction for two weeks until she came again in his dream and said they had all moved out. If you respect and honor the wights like this, they'll make sure your land is fertile and protected. They may even reward you in other ways. If you upset them though, you'll have a run of bad luck.

Hope that helps.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth

Return to “Gardening”