Parallel Universe?

UFO's, extraterrestrials, abductions, the Universe, planets, stars, galaxies, black holes, white holes, wormholes, and everything beyond.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Parallel Universe?

Post by Release.the.bats »

"Light traveled at infinite or near infinite speed making every conscious event back here on terra firma always and forever eternally now throughout the infinite universe. Five o'clock in Manhattan was also five o'clock on Saturn and on the nearest star. While durations were measurable with clocks, time, itself, was eternal and unmeasurable. It was infinite and unimaginable. At that time no one could imagine that time here and time there could have any other relation to each other than the solitary moment of now.

And the universe was imagined to be infinite in all directions. There simply was no measure for it. There was no end to space and to try to think about infinite space was hopeless, a game for fools and poets.

Matter played its game of following exact rules of inertia and movement called equations of motion and nothing in principle was undetermined or for that matter, left for the imagination. All the universe was a giant machine ticking off throughout all eternity and occupying every corner of an infinite space. Such was our thinking prior to 1900 AD.

With the twentieth century, ideas of Einstein and the revolution of scientific thinking brought forward by the theories of relativity, much of pre-modern thinking was changed. Some of the gaps were closed. Space was not as infinite as we had previously thought. It didn't necessarily extend on forever, infinite in all directions. Neither was time as inscrutable as thought earlier. Instead time and space joined together and the two together became a new concept called spacetime. Events were not eternally now. A pair of spatially separated simultaneous events for one observer, became past and future events for another observer simply passing by through space and in time relative to the first.

Matter was also thought of in a new light. It was produced by the universe itself as a knot in the fabric of spacetime. It bent space and it curved time. Naturally this changed our vision of the universe's eternality and made it possible to envision just how the universe could have begun. The finite speed of light and the concept of spacetime made it possible to question just what could have occurred when time itself was now imagined to begin and all space in the universe itself was imagined to be smaller than the period at the end of this sentence.

However, even with relativity theory, gaps in or knowledge concerning matter and spacetime still exist. Our present models of the beginning of time called cosmological theories still carry a Newtonian mechanical tinge. They still ring of clockworks and questions about what happened before the big bang--the so-called beginning of everything--paradoxically ring in our heads. And the present models still are grappling with how to bring quantum physics into the beginning of space, time, and matter.

With the discovery of quantum physics--the physics that governs the behavior of atomic and sub-atomic matter--more gaps in our knowledge were filled. Matter was seen in a very different light. Its properties depended on how it was observed. Thus the actions of observation play a role in the atomic world that was completely unsuspected by the pre-modern scientists. That role is now suspected to even affect macroscopic matter in subtle ways that could change cosmology and indeed our concept of just what a universe is.

The major problem of bringing together quantum physics and relativity is still with us today. We don't know how to do it. We do know that whatever theory that manages it will be quite bizarre for those who still wish a clockwork universe. In this book we will explore one the most bizarre and promising theories to come from the minds and imaginations of today's physicists; that there must be other universes beside our own.

Parallel universes theory was invented by physicists in the hectic period of the 1950's and 1960's. It appeared as a new way to make concrete and rational some of the bizarre findings of quantum physics and general relativity. These findings aren't comprehensible without a new vision of reality. Instead they appear as problems. Nothing in our previous thinking about the physical world will make these problems go away.

In other words, the existence of parallel universes resolves some old and not too easily solvable paradoxes. However, as you will see soon enough, it introduces a very new and apparently paradoxical way of thinking. In essence, parallel universe theory posits the existence of worlds within our technologically-extended senses, that must connect or relate with our own.

What is a parallel universe? Like an everyday universe it is a region of space and time containing matter, galaxies, stars, planets and living beings. In other words, a parallel universe is similar and possibly even a duplicate of our own universe. Not only in a parallel universe must there be other human beings, but these may be human beings who are exact duplicates of ourselves and who are connected to ourselves through mechanisms only explainable using quantum physics concepts.

To see why scientists are now considering parallel universes seriously as a solution to problems in the wide spectrum of thought including modern physics and cosmology we need to consider some new and exciting ideas. Hope of reconciling the ideas contained within this broad spectrum of human knowledge resides in the existence of these other universes--universes that exist side-by-side with our own and even perhaps occupying the same space as our own in some ghostly manner. "

Thoughts?
Opinions?
Comments?

I'm very interested in this topic personally.
:D
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

In physics, spacetime (or space–time) is any mathematical model that combines space and time into a single continuum. Spacetime is usually interpreted with space being three-dimensional and time playing the role of a fourth dimension that is of a different sort than the spatial dimensions. According to certain Euclidean space perceptions, the universe has three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. By combining space and time into a single manifold, physicists have significantly simplified a large number of physical theories, as well as described in a more uniform way the workings of the universe at both the supergalactic and subatomic levels.

In classical mechanics, the use of Euclidean space instead of spacetime is appropriate, as time is treated as universal and constant, being independent of the state of motion of an observer. In relativistic contexts, however, time cannot be separated from the three dimensions of space, because the rate at which time passes depends on an object's velocity relative to the speed of light and also on the strength of intense gravitational fields, which can slow the passage of time.
level

My view

Post by level »

Interesting topic that indeed can make you lose yourself within, but that is the beauty of it. When I think about space and the universe I always get hit by the size of it and the potential expansion that might be occurring. With this kind of initial logic that is based on limited information you always want to see the end of it or at least some kind of limit so that you can have a starting point to begin to define it better. Since the universe is 3 dimensional there is also the element of infinity attached to it.

So far the first discovery that helped us to form a better view of the Universe and how big it might be was the calculation of the speed of light. This discovery helped us to map in relation to our solar system the rest of the universe that comes in to our field of view as we move within the boundaries of our galaxy. That movement does not only contribute to the balance of our solar system but the overall movement of the galaxy and ultimately the universe. There is a controlled randomness of shape that is ruled by the adjusting nature of movement created within the universe itself that is constantly changing by the flux of the elements within. Through observation of our own galaxy we have been given the chance to view some of that movement but more importantly the randomness of shape. Where, we come to the second discovery that might be the most important discovery/observation that we might have come up to date.

That discovery is the phenomenon called Black Holes. I believe that Black holes are the limit that we have been looking in the universe and the starting point for us that lead us to better understanding the universe. The black hole has a one-way surface, called an event horizon, into which objects can fall, but out of which nothing can come out. A black hole is a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing, including light, can escape its pull. I have been pondering about black holes and have come to the following conclusion. First that they represent the end of space in the universe on our side that we have been trying to grasp the minute we look up in the sky. Second I believe that all the energy that is compressed within its boundaries on our side is escaping trough on the other side creating a pocket/bubble that expands as long as the Black hole is active. The nature of that matter it is said that can be captured on our side to in the form of radiation. That pocket/bubble is the newly created universe that starts eventually to act and evolve like the one that we live in. Here we hit the two facts. The Answer to how our universe was created in the first place or aka the Big Bang that we all have been wondering since the birth of cognitive thinking. And second the birth of the concept that there is more than one universe.

From here on we do have not only the boundaries of our universe but the starting points of new ones that run parallel to our own. I believe that each universe has its own properties and degree of coherence that is just so balanced to help the overall mechanics behind that co- existence to be balanced in perfect harmony. From here on everything starts to fall into place and new ideas and paths to our logic to be formed that helps that enourmosity to become a place of exploration and wonder rather than an endless journey into the unknown. For example we now can look for opposite side of a black hole in our universe. In other words, a Black hole that is occurring in a parallel universe that spills matter into our own universe. Of course it is more complicated than that because if that was to happen a new universe will be forming within our own. The possibilities and mechanics are amazing from here on. I will let your mind travel like mine does. I have come up with some interesting theories from this point on that are so complex that blows my mind away. Here is how that multy- universe might look like.
I love Infinity, where we get to loose our self and catch whats important to us.
staranashannon

Post by staranashannon »

I don't have the mental capacity for physics. I really wish I did, but I think I'm incurably limited because I get a migraine trying to comprehend some of the first post. Fortunately, there are people like Level who come up with theories for me :) . (Yeah, this is from last year, but so what, I felt the need to comment.)
celestar332

cool

Post by celestar332 »

I enjoyed reading the first post. The idea of parallel universes is a bit difficult to try to conceptualize, as if understanding one universe as infinite and enough to grasp is final, to see life in another form as "ghostly" in comparison to another life, would in fact be to say it has lesser value than its parallel? I would think a parallel universe would be like two halves of the same whole working together in the space time continum constantly, eternally, not aware of the other, the two universes are actually two whole motion entities reverberating off one another and connecting where necessary to the point of energy neither being "created nor destroyed", like a wormhole, a black hole, a "galactic center" pumping out energy from an unknown source, but in my understanding the One source is the beginning and end point of all of evolution in the Universe. It's travelin' we need to get down, a "trajectory" to follow to its end, if one.

I feel if parallel universes exist, then good, two is always better than one and so on.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

Ah science V religion (ish).... I always get flamed for my scientific views when the fluffies pipe up about how they can fly to mars and transform a rock into a fairy and a have a cute little tea party but here we all are discussing the scientific merits of the many worlds hypothesis and the white hole/black hole creation of universes.

We have no proof for multiple universes, but in theory quantum mechanics and the quantum uncertainty principal suggests they do exist.

an example... Quantum immortality. You have a gun with one bullet. the gun is wired to a particle detector which detects the position of an electron orbiting a nucleus of a hydrogen atom. Now, contrary to what you were told in school an electron does not orbit a nucleus, it doesnt go round at all, it flashes in and out of existence, so a hydrogen atom has one electron. But take a photo of it (if you could) and you might see 2000 electrons, take another photo and you see 3 electrons, another and there is 55, another and there are ZERO electrons. The weird thing is there is always one electron, only in the first photo it was in 2000 places at the same time, in the second it was one electron in 3 places at once, in the last it was in zero places at once. How is this? No-one knows, it is quantum uncertainty. Anyhoo... this detector that the gun is wired to, it "takes a photo" of the hydrogen atom and if there is exactly one electron it will shoot. Put the gun to your face and pull the trigger, click. Nothing. Again, click, click, click, click... It will never fire.

That is quantum immortality. Essentially every time you pull the trigger the universe splits, in one universe there is one electron and you die. In another there are 3, 10, 12, 0 etc... electrons and you survive. Since you can only exist in a universe where you exist (how can you be in a place where you no longer exist) you MUST go into the "surviving" universe hence from your point of view the gun never fires.

This all sounds stupid, so here is the evidence. The double slit experiment. There is a board with two narrow slits in it. Very small. There is a photon emitter. Light is made of photons, little balls of light which is why a black hole can suck in light, because light is in fact matter. Like little tennis balls. Anyhoo, the emitter is on one side of the board and a white sheet is the other side. the emitter fires *one* photon at the board. Let me be clear, if a few thousand photons hit your eye you see light, if no photons hit your eye (if they just whizz past your face but dont hit your eye) you will see no light at all. The photon flies at the board and on the other side on the white sheet we see TWO light patterns, one from each slit. WTF?! This means that one proton went through TWO holes at once. So, we wanna see what the hell is going on so we put a "camera" at the edge of the board so we can see both slits and the point where the proton doubles itself. The proton comes along to the board and goes through ONE slit. How the hell did it know we were watching?! Take the camera way, we get the same double pattern as before, put the camera back and the proton changes its mind and we get one pattern instead.

I believe one explanation is that light is both a wave and particle at the same time and it can change between the two. But it shows that unless we measure something it can do what the hell it wants, it is almost as if the universe breaks its own rules but if someone is looking it follows them like a good little universe.

Of course it is theoretically possible that the universe is constantly splitting and merging into itself and that by measuring we force it to decide, universe 1, or 2. *Shrugs* Magick is the least mysterious thing in the universe i can assure you of that ;)
path of the shaman

Re: Parallel Universe?

Post by path of the shaman »

i know i read somewhere that the universe exists in a multiverse of ten or more in dimensions. we exist on the outer dimensions the three dimensions. we are influenced by the fourth which is time. the fifth is considered by mystics as the realm of the spirit. while the higher dimensions six to ten are rolled up in a ball. and parallel universes exist in some of those dimensions. some scientists say as an off shoot of ours or ours as an off shoot of another. then there is the idea of universes that are of alternate realities and of time lines and history.

Return to “Beyond the Earth”