St. John's Wort

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
poetry_princess

St. John's Wort

Post by poetry_princess »

Does anyone here use this herb? I've been thinking of trying it (for depression) and was just wondering if anyone had some experience they could share with me about this particular herb
Blessed BE all the Children of Gaia

There Exist only 3 beings in the world worthy of regognition: the priest, the soldier, the poet. To know, to kill, to create.
sheherazade

Post by sheherazade »

note:DO NOT take st john's wort if you take birth control pills.
no one ever mentions this to anyone.
that's all i know bout the stuff.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Hi there

I occasionally use St.Johns Wort in tablet form.
You need to check with your pharmacist ( doctor ideally, but I know you're not up with them at the moment ) if you are taking other medications. I'm sorry hun, I can't remember if you said you'd stopped taking meds or not.

Here's a link that you might want to read

http://www.studenthealth.co.uk/leaflets ... 20Wort.htm

hedge
Orion

Post by Orion »

My parents take it a for their nerves. We have lots of random supplements and such, funny thing is mechandise we just dont sell much of, :P. Though I didn't know that was one of those meds that takes out the others meds, controlling bugger.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

There are some other alternative treatments you might want to look into as well princess.
Ginko Biloba and Siberian Ginseng have both been used successfully for treating depression. If you'd like I can provide more information for you on these treatments,

hedge
Kristofski

Post by Kristofski »

I took St John's Wort pills when I was in school when I was going through some tough times. I don't know if I was actually clinically depressed, I never had it diagnoesd. But it did help me alot. It's effects are quite mild, and can be used more as a crutch than something that will completly mess up your emotions.
Bear in mind that I'm just speaking from personal experiance, and I'm sure there are people who know alot more about this sort of thing than I do.
Chris x
Ravenari

Post by Ravenari »

One thing to keep in mind for St. John's Wort is it can take between 6 weeks and longer to reach its full effect, and therefore is not suitable for people immediately at risk to themselves or others.
[Kristin]

Caution

Post by [Kristin] »

Please check with your doctor first! St John's Wort does interact and can affect any other meds you are taking.

I found out the hard way!

Also, as mentioned in a previous post, it takes awhile...some weeks for it to kick in. If you need immediate help, talk to a physician first or get some fast consult with a psychologist.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

True, with all medications (whether herbal or medicinal), we need to do research before taking them. Like Sheherazade mentioned, there are contraindications with any form of birth control pill and St. John's Wort. Simply, it dramatically decreases the effectiveness of any birth control pill.
So, you can still take both, but-- be very wary that your B.C. pills are not going to do anything for you anymore. (And consequently, if you are taking them to regulate your menstrual cycle, that goes out the window as well.)

Here is a great resource I ran into (which includes a forum too, if you want to read about other's possible complications and/or experiences/concerns...)
http://www.sjwinfo.org/geninfo.htm -I recommend you check this site out throughly before beginning this medication.

~BB~

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”