Cunningham

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Dawn Faerie

Cunningham

Post by Dawn Faerie »

Has anyone read any books by Scott Cunningham? I think he's a really good author, and his book Living Wicca really helped me to incorperate more religious stuff into my magick. Also, when i was really interested in Natural Magick, i read his books Earth Power and Earth, Air, Fire and Water, which were really informative. :D
waterglyph

Post by waterglyph »

I've read (and own) quite a few of them. I enjoy them a lot and I think they make really nice books for beginners. :D
darkestlight*

Post by darkestlight* »

i own his encyclpoedia of magical herbs, it has been useful on countless occasions.
Lora
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

He definitely wrote a lot for a shortened life. This is both a hommage and a criticism. I think he may have cast himself a little wide in his texts. His stuff on Wicca is okay, his stuff on dreaming is excellent, his stuff on stones is very disappointing indeed. I certainly respect his work, but he is certainly not the final authority on any subject (but no one is or could ever be!), and it is rare, these days, if I would ever pick any of his books up to read or re-read.

bsp
Aubrey Rose5

Post by Aubrey Rose5 »

i read one of his books it was Wicca a guide for the solitary practitioner it was really good
love is not made by magick it comes only from the heart
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I just got the above mention book. I really like it

I love the fact that he is always tells he is not the final source. He makes a humble image of himself.
Aubrey Rose5

Post by Aubrey Rose5 »

yeah i loved it especially since imy parents never really got into magick my dad thinks its devil worshiping and my mom is learnig from me haha
love is not made by magick it comes only from the heart
Kyerma

Post by Kyerma »

I've read Solitary Practitioner and Living Wicca and I found both of them to be very informative books. I admire his work a lot for the simple fact that he encourages his readers to think for themselves and get out there and discover what actually works for them, a technique sadly neglected by many authors these days.

I also own copies of Encyclopaedia of Magical Herbs and The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews, both of these books have been very helpful.

Kyerma
DragonflyWW

Post by DragonflyWW »

I have many of Cunningham's books, infact they were the first books I ordered. I really like them and would recommend them. My 15 year old son also loves them he said they were easy for him to follow and the descriptions were easy to understand and visualize.
Tianta

Post by Tianta »

This is an OLD post...but I was actually just about to make one on Scott myself..so figured I'd just add onto this and bring it back a little...

I love Scott Cunningham as an author for this....I think he is an amazing writer and I use to own four of his books, and still someday wish to own them all!
I was very sad to read in one of the books I got later that he had passed long ago...I had actually thought about trying to meet him someday...When I was practicing before I even held a small ceremony type in his rememberence on the day of his death....
Semjaza

Post by Semjaza »

I must admit I'm not a big Cunningham fan (which seems to be heresy on some forums, but anyway). I gave my copy of Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practicioner away because it seemed so, well, not necessarily vapid, but unsubstantial. It seemed like he'd taken a bit of knowledge about Wicca and tried to make it palatable to the general public by stripping out the mystery and depth and white-washing anything that might possibly be construed as offensive. He often said he's not the final authority, that's great, but if it's a book aimed at beginners, inferring that Wicca is anything you want it to be is not a good thing.

As for the rest of his books, the sheer amount of his written material has kind of steered me away. I doubt he was an expert on everything he wrote about, (and there was a lot he wrote about). I'm sure he's not bad for a vague overview of a topic, but I'll take quality over quantity anyday.

Cheers,

Semjaza (who wishes she still had her copy of Wicca so she could write a better critique)
FFFF

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”