Fire burn, and caldron bubble...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
H_Prynne

Fire burn, and caldron bubble...

Post by H_Prynne »

So I'm looking to buy a cauldron (or caldron) for my slowly developing altar. Being new to this rodeo I was wondering if some of the more sagely and learned folks here could bestow upon me some key features I should look for in a cauldron, suggest a preferred size, or point me in the direction of some good online retailers for a quality cauldron.

Also, and this might sound silly...much like a cast iron skillet is there anything I should do with my new cauldron to "season" it either magically...or otherwise?

Thanks for your time and help.

~Hester
tilarium

Re: Fire burn, and caldron bubble...

Post by tilarium »

Well, for on-line supplies I would go to the wiccianway.com. That's where I got my supplies when I was starting out, and I just put in an order with them over the weekend to get some new stuff (still haven't found a place around where I'm living now). They have really great customer service, that's the topper for me.

With that said, I don't use a cauldron. I've considered getting one, but it's not on the top of my list.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Size wise, I would say enough to fit a fist in. This way it can keep all your burning need safely inside. Make sure it has a lid.

I found mine at a flea market so where to get on I do not know.

When I got mine I burned herbs inside of it that have special meaning to me and my gods, then let it "season" in the ask for 3 days. But it is really up to you.
hawthorn

Post by hawthorn »

why does a cauldron need a lid, mine doesn't have one...
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

No it doesn't need one per se. But I find the lid helps with safety and letting things "stew" for a moment.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

A lid is useful to choke a flame quickly. It's also good to keep the herbs inside from losing their scent to quickly.

Traditionally a cauldron should stand on three legs, have a fat belly and a thinner neck with a lid. Of course this is by no means set in stone.
I have two cauldrons, a small one for on my alter and a larger one I can cook with or store candles and incense in.
I got mine from my mother and they're copper and cast-iron but I know wiccans who preffer stone or other metals, it doesn't really matter since metal and stone are both representitives of the mother.

Hope it helps
Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I found a 1-quart (6" across) cauldron in camping goods for $14. It's 3-legged, straight sides so I can bake bread in it (can't do that in a pot belly) & also cook in it. It fits on my altar & isn't too heavy to tote & carry outdoors.

It came pre-seasoned but I still put a light coat of cooking oil on it & baked it at high/450' for 30 minutes then turned off the oven & let it cool to room temp before removing the pot. This way the glaze isn't tackey. Wash only with hot water & no soap. Occasionally re-treat as needed.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”