The DC-40

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
jescgrl

The DC-40

Post by jescgrl »

I know this is an international forum, so I don't know if it is known. I found information on it through a few pagan mommy blogs I follow. Basics that I understand, some fundi-loopy Christians are going to have a demonstration for 40 days at the capital and then 12 more in Philly. Their goal is to "lay siege" in the to cities and then in each state on their assigned day (going backwards in order of when they became states) To get all "pagan" politicians out of office and replaced with their shoo ins. They are using the word pagan for ALL religions besides theirs. They want to change the name of the capital District of Columbia to the District of Christ. I have Christian family members on both sides(husbands and myself) of many denominations. So far My side, the Mormons, are being urged to support this, and My husband's side, some of the Methodists, are as well. The whole thing is to do away with Constitutional law and replace with Biblical law. creepy.

I'm normally a "ignore them and they will go away" but in the back of my mind, I am worried that given the already unstable environment out there, people will want to cling to their faith no matter what, crushing the liberties of all whom stand in their way. I'm not sure I have a question on this... just looking for more POV's out there, especially what the Pagan community could/should do in response to this.
here is some different links about them
http://confessionsofamodernwitch.blogsp ... glish.html
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/2 ... -like.html
Their site:
http://40daysoverdc.com/
Tylluan

Re: The DC-40

Post by Tylluan »

Well I say leave them too it. I'm sure there will be thousands of calm, kind pagan folk ready to peaceful defend our views. There will always be someone moaning about someone else and plotting against them. Best not to lower ourselves but to deal with it in a calm well thought out manner. Fighting fire with fire just ends up with everyone burnt.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
jescgrl

Post by jescgrl »

Cora wrote: Fighting fire with fire just ends up with everyone burnt.
Oh I agree, I would not support anything out right vengeful against anyone, even if they wished me harm. I think that staying levelheaded and peaceful is the right path... showing others that we are not out sacrificing babies and doing "the devil's work"

I have been just taken a back with the outright hatred I am seeing within this group, and the support that they have to some high up politicians already. I always think of What-ifs so I may be just a little alarmist, but it is definitely something to keep an eye on.
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

Oh I know. Their hatred is purely stemmed from fear and a hatred of themselves. Normally people bash other people when they themselves are feeling inadequate. They truely believe they are right. These people purely do not know what we are about. They think its all biting heads off babies. Hopefully if people react with reason to them and don't fight back with aggression then the truth of our beliefs will be heard properly. Unfortunately some religions brainwash fear and self righteousness into their followers. Humans are a sad breed.

x
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
jescgrl

Post by jescgrl »

Very true Cora, somedays i think we are just larger versions of lemmings. barreling off a cliff because the person in front did it. Wearing zebra print Manolos because some celebrity did, shaving half our heads because Rihanna did it. *sigh* If alien life ever looks in on our planet they will do well to stay away.
FireQueen

Post by FireQueen »

Just send love, prayers and blessings.

Although their campaign if they go ahead with it will fail, it will inflame a number of people.

They need to learn compassion, tolerance and acceptance and unfortunately it will be a hard lesson for them.

Brightest blessings.
No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

People can protest all they like in America nothing will come of their protest. The District of Columbia is not going to become the District of Christ, the US would never allow that. I am an American so dont be fooled because my location is a European one. We have that lil thing called SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE and also LIFE, LIBERTY, AND JUSTICE FOR ALL. Peoples religious beliefs have nothing to do with running in public office. Exposing some peoples beliefs may sway some voters decision on who to vote for it sure doesnt sway everyones. We do have plenty of right wing republicans in america but we have plent of Democrats and Liberals too. Everythign will be A-OK
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

This is why there is a supreme court to defend the Constitution. Let us say for a moment that they succeeded (which they won't) they do not fire or elect supreme court justices who are bound by oath to defend that little document.
Pippen

Post by Pippen »

The thing that scares me is its also in the constitution that if the people rise up they can overthrow the government. Luckily, I dont think there are enough of these crazy Christians to do that... all the ones I know are nice, and more or less tolerant of others. Then again, I never actually told them strait forward that im not a christian... since they are kinda my bosses for a small part time job I have and I need teh job. x.x But I am pretty sure they at least suspect Im not christian.
jescgrl

Post by jescgrl »

JBRaven wrote:This is why there is a supreme court to defend the Constitution. Let us say for a moment that they succeeded (which they won't) they do not fire or elect supreme court justices who are bound by oath to defend that little document.
Ok, in the land of make-believe, if this movement grew feet and became a big power player. Wanting to do away with the constitution in favor of a biblical law...would that not also do away with the Supreme Court? These are all huge What If's, but if things happened to where, even those who do not agree with the hatred of this group, but the religions restoration of the country signed on... it could easily up the amount of supporters. Then the group gains this huge momentum and starts sliding in "Good Ol' Boy" Conservatives in to different elections, while smearing the names of those who do not follow their God. Its easy to see that if the veil was pulled over the eyes of the American people in such a way to spin this as "going back to what the country was founded on" etc that disastrous things could happen.

Do I think that we will see this happen, as of right now I don't. But I will not rule anything out. The human race looks for things to follow behind: Strong leaders, faith, safety. If they play their cards right presenting it in such a light, we could see a real problem, at which time I would be more inclined to act on. As of right now I am being watchful, and learning as much as I can, while trying to influence my family that hatred of others different than them is not the "godly" thing to do.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

What you are saying is the United States of America would turn into a Dictatorship. It would not work. Logically this can't happen.
jescgrl

Post by jescgrl »

JBRaven wrote:What you are saying is the United States of America would turn into a Dictatorship. It would not work. Logically this can't happen.
I would think a theocracy would be the end result.
I don't think it would happen, as i said it was a land of make believe.
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

America's constitution specifically states Seperation of Church and State. That the government shall not dictate how one shall believe or worship. Regardless if 3/4 of the damn country said lets go ahead and do it. IT CAN NOT HAPPEN. There are fundamentals upon which the country was founded and to go against those basic principals is to undue America. Its just not going to happen PERIOD.

The Constitution can be amended and clarified upon but it cannot be unwritten.

To say that this is to happen is to say that America shall cease to be a country. Now providing that crazed christians storm the white house and kill off everyone in politics including the US Military and our foreign allies before we can kill them. THEN maybe it could happen. Until that day there isnt a snowballs chance in hell.
Pippen

Post by Pippen »

Unless they overthrow the government and constitution. That sounds like what their aim is, afterall. Its not impossible to overthrow a government...
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

Yeah i understand where it was headed but this is America not a third world nation. Not only is America a powerful entity on its own but many foreign countries have vested interest in the United States and will not sit idely by and watch it and their investment collapse. America is a super power in more way than one. What affects America affects the entire world. One of two things will happen either the foreign governments will step in to aid "America the government" or They will step in and attempt to seize America for themselves other countries livelihoods would be at stake.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”