Rituals and bad memory.

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Wolf*

Rituals and bad memory.

Post by Wolf* »

Okay, like many people, I suffer from CRS - Can't Remember Shit. And when it comes to all these spells and rituals that take about 1 or 2 entire pages of wording and actions, I think my brain would just start oozing out of my head trying to remember it all. I even have note cards for some of these things. Anybody else have this problem?
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
Orion

Post by Orion »

I've been talking to people and had to ask them what I just said. So yeah, I have run into the same problem before :). Typically I shorten the ones I take from other places when I'm rewriting them anyway. To me, it's best to not have them longer than you can memorize (and give yourself plenty of time to do that).
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

I agree, and I think using your own symbols and wording it in your own way is crucial. Sometimes, other suggested words are helpful, but it is always best to say it your way, with your energy signature, so to speak. The universe knows whatever language you speak, but it reacts best if it is coming from your mouth and brain. As the wise Hedgewitch stated in another post, "It is intent" that counts. But, we all have to start somewhere, and sometimes using another's spell is called for. But I agree, if they are too long, then you almost just have to keep the text in your circle to read from it.

Blessings,

bsp
darkestlight*

Post by darkestlight* »

I have found that if I make the lines of my spells rhyme, whenever possible, it helps me remeber them easier. And ya I have that problem with lots of things, not just spells, lol. :D
Lora
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

CRS - is that a recognised medical term? It should be!

LOL!

darkestlight made a good suggestion about using rhymes, it's something to do with using the left side of the brain when we learn rhymes and we remember them more easily.

But never mind the scientific reason - it's a good suggestion.

hedge
bunny

Post by bunny »

i cant remember anything either. you have to work at it to get even something small memeorized. but just keep trying. :lol:
Skylights

Post by Skylights »

I realize this topic is old, but it struck so close to home, I had to reply!

I also suffer from CRS (nice title, by the way, can't wait to try it out on unsuspecting doctors); I'm notorious among my family and friends for not being able to remember the way to the grocery store.

All the tips here are very good. I especially agree with the rewording and rhyming aspects. I write my own rituals and chants, although I do borrow quite liberally from other sources, and I find that actually writing out the words helps me remember. I usually end up writing at least two drafts, so I get a lot of practice.

If you have the time and patience, carry a copy of your chants, invocations, etc. with you for a few days prior to your ritual and look at them whenever you have time. You could also rehearse; this is how I usually memorize lines and blocking for plays and musicals. Just me, all alone in my room, talking to myself.

I'm going to be doing some memorizing the next few days myself. Only yesterday, I finished the ritual I'm planning to do later this week, and I've already forgotten pretty much everything.

Also, if you're still unsure come circle-casting time, I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing a cheat sheet!
[color=blue]*Skylights*[/color]

[color=green][i]"So if you don't rate,
just over-compensate...
The world loves wannabes,
so, hey hey, do that brand new thing."[/i][/color]
Ravenari

Post by Ravenari »

The brain, like the rest of the body, is an organ that can be exercised. It can be strengthened, and without strengthening it can remain weak.

Those who are new to paganism are often very daunted by things as long as the Invocation of the Goddess, or even something as apparently simple as remembering the Quarter Calls (which you must remember if you're in an Alexandrian or Gardnerian coven for example!).

We can't or shouldn't fall back on simply saying our memory is crap and leave it at that. My knee is currently 'crap' because it is recovering from surgery, but if I use that as an excuse not to do my physiotherapy, I will not heal and have strong muscles.

You start small, you learn memory games (looking up "memory games" on Google will be very helpful) and read chants that you want to learn before bed. Make sure that the ceremonies you are learning are ones you want to learn, and are important to you, so that the passion remains even when you get sick of learning the same words over and over again.

As anyone who has had to learn any discipline - piano, skilled artwork etc. will tell you, you won't always enjoy it. Sometimes you'll get so sick of playing the same thing over and over again that you'll scream. But one day you'll hit a point where you play that song without thinking, your fingers know automatically where to go, and your heart can sing through the song.

That is what you are aiming for in high-ceremonial magic, and very few people get to this stage because they don't have persistence.

In the meantime, you can make smaller, less complicated rituals for yourself. But you should really be working towards training your concentration and memory skills, for the high-ceremonial stuff if that is what interests you. It CAN be learnt, and falling back on 'my memory is shit' is no excuse, in my opinion. :)
Bstnactrs

Post by Bstnactrs »

As an actress, I have to memorize lines and the bigger the role, the more lines to memorize! Sometimes an audition calls for me to perform a monologue so I can't rely on on another person's line as a cue for my own.

What I do is record my lines...if it is a play or a film, I have a friend read the other lines and then I leave pauses before I am supposed to say my own so that when I play the tape back, there is a space in which I can say the line out loud before I hear what the line actually is. If it is a monologue, I just record one line at a time, leaving a long enough space (I do this by saying each line to myself silently before saying it out loud) in between.

I find this technique works well b/c I can listen to these tapes in my car, on the train, at the gym, taking a walk, etc.

Stasia

Return to “For Everyone”