Do we need to have a familiar?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Hera#76

Do we need to have a familiar?

Post by Hera#76 »

I have a black cat, and I was sitting here reading the notices on this section and thinking - do we really need to have a familiar? Then I thought about Katy my cat and how I would not like to just assume that she was my familiar.

Then literally as I was typing the title question, she wakled into the room, jumped onto the computer table and stuck her head forward to rub her nose on mine.

Maybe that is not a sign but she certainly feels comfy in her surroundings it seems.

I would love, as I am sure most pet owners do, to have their pet as thier familiar but I am trying not to assume that she is.

Still she is fantastic.
Bubbles float because they are light and happy; don't let life wear you down!
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Sounds cool. I don't have a familiar myself and no, it's not mandatory that you have one. I think it's mostly animal lovers that get into the familiar thing.

JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

No it isn't a must have. But I belive all animals are magical in some way or the other. Being a familiar just means the animal helps you with your craft in some way.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Yep, I second that. ( and JB's comments). A familiar is a wonderful addition to spell work. I love animals, I have several, but I wouldn't say I have physical familiar in my life. (Just my dog Maggie... she wakes me up when meditating turns to sleep... but that's totally different.) :28:

It is highly possible though, that you do have some psychokenetic connection to your kitty or any animal for that matter. I believe we can all easily communicate with animals, but so few actually claim to have the ability. We use such a small portion of our brains, it's a wonder what we could really do if given all our resources.

You were thinking, kind of consciously... kind of not, when typing this title sentence, right? Why not try that a second time and see if she responds to you again. (But don't be too conscious about it or it won't work the same way). Never hurts to try. She probably just heard you thinking of her and came in the room to let you know. (From what I understand, when people "hear" what animals say, it's all in pictures.) In any case, treasure her. Animals are wonderful things. :28:

Good luck and Blessed Be.
Dawn Faerie

Post by Dawn Faerie »

I have a dog called Logic - he's 16, and we've had him since he was 12. He doesn't really come into my rituals, but he's amazing at calming me down. Although he's reall old, he reminds me that everyone has an eternal youthfullness inside them.
Nikita

Post by Nikita »

i have a familiar too she is called Keira an she my lil baby she great lol :D :D but dont think you have to have one lol i just loves cats :D :D
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Aww, I'm glad your old pup can teach you so much, Dawn Faerie. It's not often that we learn or realize the lessons our animals teach us, before they are gone from our lives. He's very lucky to be loved and to have made his way to your family.

~Blessed Be to you and Logic~
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Nikita... thank you for sharing your story about your kitty.... but please do try to watch the internet "short hand". We all try to respect eachother's wishes and write in more complete sentences without the abbreviations frequent chatters use, so we can all understand what is being said without having to make guesses.

Thank you! :28:

~MoonStone

Return to “Animals and Pets”