Religious Communication-Wicca and New Media

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
sunscollide72

Religious Communication-Wicca and New Media

Post by sunscollide72 »

Hello all!
I'm going to get straight to the point. I read the forum rules and I didn't see anything about not being able to post something like this, so here I go!

I am a college student taking a religious communication course and one of our research papers has to focus on a specific religious community and their use of media.
I chose Wicca because running into it online got me hooked immediately.
From what little research i have done so far, I am quite fascinated and impressed with the level of spirituality you all hold :)

I'm supposed to find research from scholarly sources, but I also wanted to get information straight from the source! I want to hear it straight from the people practicing it, because sometimes scholarly sources are just those who have studied it but don't actually practice themselves! And that's just silly.

So far, I can tell that you accept media, because you're currently using the internet while reading this post.

What I'm supposed to learn is, how your religious background and core beliefs informs or influences engagement with media. (For example, how would Wiccan's values influence your response to televised media? and why? ... Like some ultra-orthodox Jewish communities reject internet because of the secular content that is on it, while other communities of the same religion accept the internet as a missionary tool)

Are there any forms of media that you reject and/or innovate?

What are the core factors shaping your relationship media?

I have read some of your posts responding to Wiccan depictions in the media, and many of the posts are negative because they are portraying your religion inaccurately. That's unfortunate! But I want to know more about what you think of this! How do you feel these inaccurate depictions in the media portray your values? Do they influence your own values?

What does Wiccan's engagement with the media have to teach others about religious group's response to media?

I can ask questions all day!
But I want to know any answers you can give me. Teach me your ways :lol:
You will not be quoted or anything, I would just like to get main ideas to incorporate in my paper.
Your help is much appreciated!
Thank you!

-Michelle
The Judge

Re: Religious Communication-Wicca and New Media

Post by The Judge »

Okay that's quite the list. We'll question by question. :)

Before we start, a little disclaimer. These are my views and mine alone. And do not reflect the thoughts or oppinions of anyone at this site.

Are there any forms of media that you reject and/or innovate?
-Not that I am aware of. But others may have a different oppinion

What are the core factors shaping your relationship media?
-Mostly this has to do with the accuracy of reporting. I will use media that reports, accurately, what was said. I do not approve of media that manipulates information to their own ends and mis-represents what was said. Currently I use social media, such as, Facebook, email, postal services, and this web forum to communicate with others. I use these forms of media because they allow me to respond to questions, and to make corrections. The internet web forums also allow us to find information and ask questions of others who may have had more experience or more knowledge in certain areas of interest. I have used this forum to get my bearings and to find information about things I didn't know. It has also allowed me to help others who where asking questions.

I have read some of your posts responding to Wiccan depictions in the media, and many of the posts are negative because they are portraying your religion inaccurately. That's unfortunate! But I want to know more about what you think of this! How do you feel these inaccurate depictions in the media portray your values?
-I try not to let it bother me. Most inaccruracy with media tends to be more from ignorace than from any concerted effort to paint the wrong picture. Movies are just entertainment, and Hollywood has been the source of most of the things I've heard said against many Pagan's. It's theatre and should be taken with a grain of salt. Documentaries are researched and educational, but I have yet to see one that white-washes Paganism.

Do they influence your own values?
-They don't. I always find a second source for anything thats put out through mainstream public media. On this board I will take people at their word if I have known them long enough to trust they know what they are saying. I have questions all the time. But as religions are; some things I just have to take on faith and let it go.

What does Wiccan's engagement with the media have to teach others about religious group's response to media?
-I wouldn't presume to have an answer for this. Others may have an opinion on the matter.

The media has a history of shaping information to better attract viewers. Changing content or adjusting things to suit the majority. The news media and talkshows have had a history in doing this sort of thing. Bringing up controversial topics and then defending the main-stream thoughts as it appeals to more viewers and improves their ratings. Several talkshows have brought Pagans into their studios for what they called a discussion, but ultimately ends up a whitewashing due to ignorance. "A debate is an exchange of information, an argument an exchange of stupidity" Not sure who said this but it sums it up fairly well. I would be willing to hold an intelligent conversation with others if they are willing to listen and provide an intelligent response. I have actually done so in the past at a Christian forum. We had a very intelligent discussion of theology. There were still people who threw scriptures at me, but the clergy members on the site where quite willing to listen and be heard in turn. I learned a lot from them as I hope they learned something from me.

Before I get too far off topic I'll just say that I am willing to use any form of media as long as it doesn't betray the intent of the message. Mis-quoting people is not only counterproductive but also disrespectful to the originating author/speaker.

Hope this answers some of your questions. You can use whatever you like, just remember to credit your sources. :)
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

As a Wiccan, these are MY views on the media. I feel many people misunderstand the Wiccan ways, movies like "The Craft", even though I'm a fan of the movie, make Wiccans and Witches look bad, and sadly people believe those fictional stories. I do not reject the media because I feel there are some good things to it, in fact the internet has gotten me quite far in my Wiccan studies. I really wish everyone would atleast know what we Wiccans really are and what we aren't.
Hope I helped,
Blessed be!
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
sunscollide72

Post by sunscollide72 »

Thank you very much for replying!
That was helpful insight! I really appreciate your comments and I will definitely use some of those viewpoints in my paper.
If there are any others who would care to reply, please do, this paper isn't due till 2 weeks from today!

Much respect,

Michelle :D
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

I've stickied the topic for now. Drop a post when the paper is done so I can unsticky it. It may help get some responses since your on a schedule. :)

Also, would it be possible to get a copy of your paper? I'd be interested to see what you have? :) You can PM or post it if you want. :)
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not judge, Understand
-The Judge
sunscollide72

Post by sunscollide72 »

Of course! I will PM you a copy of my paper after I turn it in.
Thanks for "stickying" the post haha :)
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

No problem. Thought it would help out. :)
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not judge, Understand
-The Judge

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”