Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
orestes903

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Post by orestes903 »

I just saw "Hansel and Gretel" last night and I thought it was a fun action/fantasy movie. A lot of people that have not seen this movie are angry because they are witch hunters and it portrays most witches in a negative light. I do highly recommend seeing it before you judge it. Has anyone else on the boards seen this movie? What did you think of it?

Orestes
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Post by Firebird »

I don't need to see a movie about killing witches as entertainment. Granted, if anyone has a bone to pick (hehe...bone to pick!) about witches, then Hansel and Gretel do.
We should be outraged! We have tried very hard to portray ourselves as upright citizens, and this stereo-type needs to go away. How are people ever going to take us seriously? It is because of media such as this that keeps many of us in the closet.
Sorry no votes here, I have already ranted on this one...
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 23684.html
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
orestes903

Post by orestes903 »

This is exactly what I mean. If you would have seen the movie then you would know {spoilers}......................................... that hansel and gretel (and also their mother) are witches and by the end of the movie they have a different view of witches and witchcraft in general (and also trolls lol).

Orestes
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

Hollywood will almost always portray witches in a negative light. A: they are general all members of major religions, not all but most. They will keep doing it to try and maintain the stereo type for the purposes of making pagan religions appear as fantasy and people will keep thinking "It's a phase brought on by television". The movie itself appears to be entertaining.

On the other side of the coin, we have to stop jumping so much over movies. If it sounds entertaining, they'll make a movie of it. If we continue to get riled by silly little things like this then we allow them to manipulate our actions by publishing things that will cause a ruckus through our community. We have to stop being slighted by the tiny things that aren't even meant that way. It's a movie, it's meant to entertain. The stereotype will be there for a long time yet.

Consider this a trial of faith. When all religions are first formed (Yes, Wicca is a new religion, albeit based on an old one) it goes through a period where the more established faiths will scorn those who follow it. Media is the easiest outlet to use as they will put out anything that gets rating, either through Box Office or TV ratings. We just have to endure and hold fast to our faith and beliefs, no matter what others say. There is no truer test of faith then trial by fire. We can't let them bother us with their doubts and misconceptions.
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hollywood will almost always portray witches in a negative light
It's a little funny that you say that, because my first (substantial) introduction to witches in the media was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which shows witches in a generally pretty positive light, and Mists of Avalon, in which pagans are just really effing cool. Maybe I just haven't seen as much pop culture that shows witches in a bad light (I know that horror movies love to use witches as the villain, and I don't really watch horror movies).

So yeah. Sorry, mildly off-topic.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Neither Grimm or Being Human on tv makes them good folks.
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

I said almost. I know there are shows and movies that don't.
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not judge, Understand
-The Judge
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I wasn't picking simply stating two current shows that don't. Sorry.
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

I know, I was just stating, didn't mean anything by it.
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not judge, Understand
-The Judge

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”