Do you consider extra elements beyond the basic five?

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
jittertat

Do you consider extra elements beyond the basic five?

Post by jittertat »

I don't know why, but I think I believe ice (even though it's a form of water) to be an element on its own, and I've heard of people including blood as an element. Is anybody else like this? If you believe in additional elements, what type of spells do you cast with them? How do you use them in spells? How do you cast your circle with them? I'm especially interested to learn about ice as an element and how it's used. Thanks!
AutumnMaidens

Re: Do you consider extra elements beyond the basic five?

Post by AutumnMaidens »

I have heard of this, people who concider lightning and element on its own and metal also.
Personally I believe that all of these still find their base with one of the five but I am not so blind to not imagine that the world does not concist merely through the rules as I know them.
I have seen ice being used as a combined element of air and water with its pure qualities, it also symbolises being unique since no one snowflake is the same.

Hope this helps

Blessings
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
MoonTigress

Post by MoonTigress »

I agree that there are probably more than the basic 5. I've heard of lightning, metal, ice, shadow, light, all considered elements. I guess it depends what you believe as to how you incorporate it in to use. We all know a spell or ritual is only as powerful as the belief, faith, and intentions behind it. Perhaps elements work the same. I will say that I do NOT believe blood to be an element and blood, to me, should only be used in rituals and spells as symbolic or connective with higher powers, to use it otherwise would be an offering like a sacrifice and that leads to darker things.
DreadXCrow

Post by DreadXCrow »

there are more than five in some religions like wood lightning stone metal lava blood darkness and light
dreamcatcher

Post by dreamcatcher »

i've always thought personally that it would make sense if there were also elements of order and chaos, darkness and light . . . but i must admit that i'm slightly obsessed with balance so thus the order and chaos thing
Autumnal Rose

Post by Autumnal Rose »

I use blood in rituals sometimes. The main focus is to give something of me to the circle. I feel I ask a lot from the elements when I do ritual magic and I like to contribute to the energies by giving something of myself. Only a small symbolic amount from a pin prick, I do know some witches who feel the need to use large quantities of blood but that always feels a bit overkill to me...
DragonWhisper

Post by DragonWhisper »

I, being a Draconic Wiccan, consider Chaos an element. That puts it at the top of the Pentacle, while Spirit is in the center.
Fionn The Mutt

Post by Fionn The Mutt »

Earth=Solid
Fire=Plasma
Wind=Air
Water=Liquid

The four elements were representations of matter in the universe according to alchemy and the teachings of contemporary occultism. When different systems talk about different elements, they're usually using the word to describe different things according to different worldviews. What a Chinese practitioner of magic would call an element is different to what a Wiccan would call an element, which is different again to what a scientist would call an element.

Some of the other stuff that people have listed aren't things that I would consider elements, as they don't bring anything unique to the table.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Usually only ice, it's pretty important to the Norse/Germans. It and fire clashed to create all life. Ice also was a hazard for them.
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

Interesting take...
I try to look at the earth, and space and what it takes to make the universe what it is. The elemental chart, ect.. I basically use the 5, but would be willing to use metal, considering it is in the universe naturally.
To me, Wood is part of Earth.. Ice is part of Water.. Shadow is part of Fire.. All with something else involved to change it slightly or dramatically...
I just walk a different path than some.
Chaos, is a Goddess to me, therefore, not an Element. Being a Polytheist has its moments where there are varying degrees of insanity, I believe..

MOTHERofDRAGONS

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”