When is Samhain and Yule?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Selena Silverlynx

Post by Selena Silverlynx »

Hi,
I've been checking a witch book of mine. I got confused about the dates of Samhain and Yule, so I wonder if it is better to ask here.

Selena Silverlynx
Why are black cats associated with witches?
Because black is an awesome colour, cats are awesome, and so are witches. People are actually linking awesomeness to awesomeness to awesomeness. ;)
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When is Samhain and Yule?

Post by Xiao Rong »

Samhain is October 31 (Halloween); Yule is on the winter solstice (which is generally Dec. 21, give or take a day).
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Selena Silverlynx

Xiao Rong wrote:Samhain is October 31 (Halloween); Yule is on the winter solstice (which is generally Dec. 21, give or take a day).
Thank you!
Because black is an awesome colour, cats are awesome, and so are witches. People are actually linking awesomeness to awesomeness to awesomeness. ;)
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Well, I believe technically Samhain is the sunset of October 31 to sunset on November 1st. Samhain Day is Nov 1st, therefore, and Hallowe'en, or All Hallows Eve (before All Hallows Day) is the evening of Oct 31.

These dates for Samhain and Yule are correct for the Northern Hemisphere. In Australia the cycle is off by half a year.
Selena Silverlynx

vervain wrote:Well, I believe technically Samhain is the sunset of October 31 to sunset on November 1st. Samhain Day is Nov 1st, therefore, and Hallowe'en, or All Hallows Eve (before All Hallows Day) is the evening of Oct 31.

These dates for Samhain and Yule are correct for the Northern Hemisphere. In Australia the cycle is off by half a year.
Thank you for your info! I got really confused, because I thought Yule was on the date of Christmas.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah... Yule is very close to Christmas, it can be the 20th, 21st or the 22nd, but usually it's on the 21st.
Course it was easier to sway the thinking of our Pagan ancestors when the early Christians placed their Holidays close to the ones the Pagans already celebrated. Christ was born in the spring, but if the return of the Sun could be exchanged with the return of the Son, then hey...they were half way there. (argh)
Christmas (X-mas) is still called Yule by many in Northern Europe and the Scandinavia's ...my Mom always called it Yule (Jul) as she was of Norse descendants. Yule is also known as Mid-Winter, Winter Solstice (the longest night of the year/shortest day) the ancient Welsh called it Me'an Geimhridh and Alban Arthan.
Many blessings,
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Selena Silverlynx

firebirdflys wrote:Yeah... Yule is very close to Christmas, it can be the 20th, 21st or the 22nd, but usually it's on the 21st.
Course it was easier to sway the thinking of our Pagan ancestors when the early Christians placed their Holidays close to the ones the Pagans already celebrated. Christ was born in the spring, but if the return of the Sun could be exchanged with the return of the Son, then hey...they were half way there. (argh)
Christmas (X-mas) is still called Yule by many in Northern Europe and the Scandinavia's ...my Mom always called it Yule (Jul) as she was of Norse descendants. Yule is also known as Mid-Winter, Winter Solstice (the longest night of the year/shortest day) the ancient Welsh called it Me'an Geimhridh and Alban Arthan.
Many blessings,
Firebird
Thank you for the info, Firebirdflys!
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

I start my samhain celebrations on sunset oct 30 and end nov 1
and as for yule, I celebrate it on dec 24, or "Christmas eve" because i feel it should be closer to Christmas due to my Baptist upbringing.
but that's not how people usually do it.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”