Arthurian Tradition and Wicca

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Heartsong

Arthurian Tradition and Wicca

Post by Heartsong »

Evening all! The exorbitant amount of time I've found on my hands lately had this result this afternoon. Enjoy, haha. :P

I've been studying the Arthurian legends and romances for nearly fifteen years.

It's a subject that has captivated me since I was a very small child and it's what I want to get my PhD in, in a few years. I've written a dozen papers on the subject. I even wrote my master's thesis on what I call the "decaying hero" archetype that I found in many of the major texts that make up the body of the literature, focusing on Sir Kay in particular. So when I came across the concept of Arthurian Wicca, you better believe that my ears perked up like Gizmo! :flyingwitch:

What seems to be the most popular incarnation of this type of Wicca is the worship of many of the figures from the legends, the most common of these being Merlin, Morgan, and Nimue (The Lady of the Lake). These are the primary and most obvious practitioners of magic within the texts, and their names are often adopted by modern witches, a tribute and testament to their long-standing association with the Craft. Morgan, specifically, is the subject of a great deal of debate among many Wiccans, since there are several theories regarding her origins, etymologically and mythologically speaking, as the Morrígan. Although, there are also those who've put forth the argument that she is a Goddess aspect in her own right, separate from her Celtic counterpart, but possessing many of the domains and traits associated with Mórrígan.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal/ofapoet/morgan.html

Merlin and his association with magic has been sensationalized by modern media and recently, he and Morgan have come to forefront of famous practitioners. He has been linked to the Druids, Stonehenge, and of course as the court magician in Camelot. One of my favorite quotes concerning him is made by Christopher Penczak, who states,
...[T]he traditional lore of Merlin is that of an inspired wildman--melding many characteristics of the magician with the Druid, witch, shaman, and mad poet.
Indeed, Merlin is just as infamous for his prophetic abilities as his role as the architect of Arthur's ideal kingdom. There are a number of witches who believe him to have never actually been a single person, but rather a representation of all the knowledge of the prehistoric shamans of ancient Britain. As with Morgan, the debate regarding how he is, and should be, perceived continues. Most agree, however, that within the Arthurian tales and romances resides a great deal of Celtic mythology, many of the stories and characters plucked right out of the Celtic pantheon.

http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/student_org ... eltic.html

Well regarded scholars and academics such as Roger Sherman Loomis, Jean Markale, and C.S. Lewis have traced the Celtic roots of the texts many times over, and their books are excellent references for in-depth analysis of the concept.

Sadly, there is little other information concerning the actual practices of those who call themselves Arthurian Wiccans. There are a handful of sites that advertise themselves as such, but offer little insight into what they actually think in connection to either the literature or the possible history. Much of what they claim to be their tenets is no more than the traditional Wiccan Rede, with perhaps the optional Skyclad rituals thrown in for spice. Books also seem to be scarce on the links between Arthuriana and Wicca.

So, here are my thoughts, as they are, about what I think could or would work when trying to incorporate elements of the Arthurian tradition into one's practice. Please feel free to discuss and debate! :)

First, I would consider the symbolism that lies at the heart of the myths. Camelot represented, to many, the ideal kingdom of mankind. What made it that way? Chivalry, Honor, and Courage were the three core values of the Arthurian world. There existed a symbiotic relationship between the High King Arthur, his knights, and the subjects that resided under his rule. The common people, and the King, depended on the knights to not only keep order, but also to maintain and enhance their reputation as the pinnacle of human civilization. This was accomplished through feats of strength, such as duels, tournaments, and quests. In many of the cycles, one's arm was only as good as one's word. It was the honest, righteous man who stood victorious over his enemies, the man whose word, when spoken, could not be refuted.

As such, I think that these values would make up the core of the Arthurian Wiccan's beliefs. It would make sense, to me, that they would actually then worship more than just the popular magical figures. Knights such as Gawain, Perceval, and Lancelot embody the very best that the kingdom had to offer, in many ways. Even more importantly, one should consider the fact that even though Camelot was deemed the perfect kingdom, it failed. What was the reason for that?

The answer is of course, that it was made up of people, none of whom are capable of being perfect, no matter how hard they strive towards an ideal. This alone brings the figures of Camelot closer to us, and allows us to connect with them. Even though great knights like Lancelot populated the realm, they possessed fatal and tragic flaws, Arthur included, and which ultimately doomed the enterprise from the start. Remember, even Arthur's conception was based on deceit. As such, Camelot was, in a figurative and literal sense, built on a lie. Thus, it couldn't last. This fact not only provides Arthurian Wiccans with a means in which to gain a closer connection with their chosen deities, but also gives a relevant moral or ethical lens with which to examine their actions and motivations. Is this action to the benefit or only me or to everyone involved? What values do I uphold? How much weight does my word carry?

This final question has particular significance in regards to spellwork. Language, in my opinion, is the framework on which a spell rests, with intent being the backbone. One of the most important aspects of medieval life, and thus their literature, was the idea of "trouthe". Geoffrey Chaucer, author of The Canterbury Tales, was especially fascinated by the concept, which put simply, is the value and integrity of one's spoken word. In the time of Arthur, and immediately following, there were few people with the ability to read or write. Contracts, transactions, and most importantly, vows, could only be enforced and consecrated by the personal honor, or integrity/sincerity, of the individuals directly involved. In spellwork, I see a direct similarity. I truly believe that the energies we use to create a spell know just how much of our intent is sincere when casting. Honesty, in some cases brutal honesty, is not just a virtue. To me, and to the Arthurian Wiccan, I think, it is a requirement, in order to even approach working with the Craft. In addition, it would naturally follow that contacting the energies or divine spirits that one wants/needs to work with would also demand a level of honesty about our desires and our true intentions. Although, I would absolutely think that this kind of consideration can be applied to all types of practices and faiths.

I hope you all find this helpful and interesting, it certainly has been occupying me for the last few days. As much as I adore the Arthurian mythos, I'm surprised that I haven't stumbled across this topic before somewhere in the vast pit of the interwebs. I'm going to ruminate on this some more, I think, and see what else I come up with. If I come across any more information, I'll certainly post it here on this thread. If any of you do the same, I'd love to see what you have to say or find. smileylove

~Heartsong~
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arthurian Tradition and Wicca

Post by Xiao Rong »

This was a fabulous read; thanks, Heartsong! After perusing your post I had to go look up Arthurian Wicca, and you're right about there not being very much around ... I've always thought Arthurian legend was very beautiful, if sort of weird and twisted in many ways. I'm a huge fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon, which really brings out the Pagan elements of the legends to the forefront ... I'd love to know your thoughts on it, if you've read it ; )
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Thank you, Xiao, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

As you can tell, I'm very passionate about the subject. I ought to be, I'm dedicating my life and career to it, haha. ;)

I haven't ever had a chance to read Mists of Avalon, but it's on my list. Because of my graduate work, I've spent the majority of my time working with the medieval texts (which I totally agree are beautifully twisted one more than one level). At the conferences I've attended, many academics seem to shun the more modern renditions and interpretations of the legends, much to my disappointment. I'm intrigued by the development of the tales and the characters over time and I've been working my way forward with them. Currently, I'm rereading White's The Sword and the Stone since I want to use it as one of my primary texts in my dissertation. From what I've heard of Mists of Avalon, there is a great deal of time spent on feminine power and if I'm not mistaken, and Celtic mythology. Both of those things intrigue me and I'm looking forward to see how Bradley incorporates the older ideas with her newer ones.

When I do read it, I will definitely let you know what I think!

You mentioned that it brings the Pagan elements of the legends to the forefront, so that's piqued my interest. The parallels between the Celtic myths and especially the quests of the knights are very clear, to me at least, and that's always been one of the things I've enjoyed most about the literature. ^.^

I'm also disheartened by the lack of information specifically regarding Arthurian Wicca. Perhaps many see it as falling under the Celtic umbrella? I may use that as a starting point and see if I can dig up anything else. I would loooooove to know more about how Arthuriana and actual spells blend. For example, could you use some of the passages from say, Gawain and the Green Knight as a template for a spell or charm? I'm sure you could, but how would an Arthurian Wiccan go about it? That sort of thing.

I'd also like to know more about which texts they draw the most heavily from. Mallory, Chretien de Troyes, Marie de France, Tennyson, Geoffrey of Monmouth? Do they focus on the more recent Celtic interpretations of the far older (and more pagan) Welsh poems and epics? Ah, the questions.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I'm also disheartened by the lack of information specifically regarding Arthurian Wicca. Perhaps many see it as falling under the Celtic umbrella? I may use that as a starting point and see if I can dig up anything else. I would loooooove to know more about how Arthuriana and actual spells blend. For example, could you use some of the passages from say, Gawain and the Green Knight as a template for a spell or charm? I'm sure you could, but how would an Arthurian Wiccan go about it? That sort of thing. I'd also like to know more about which texts they draw the most heavily from. Mallory, Chretien de Troyes, Marie de France, Tennyson, Geoffrey of Monmouth? Do they focus on the more recent Celtic interpretations of the far older (and more pagan) Welsh poems and epics? Ah, the questions.
I know! It would be cool if there were more explanations of these. I'm not sure how much of the Celtic umbrella draws from authentic medieval text; I'd be curious to know from members here who are part of the Celtic tradition. I think those poems would be lovely to draw from though, especially the language ...

The reason why I bring up Mists of Avalon is because it explicitly reframes the Arthurian legend as a spiritual and political conflict between a Goddess worshiping, pagan society that honors women, nature, and the "Old Folk" (fairies), and the emerging Christian religion that views women as subservient and impure (with Morgaine and the Ladies of the Lake leading the former, and Gwenhwyfar/Guinevere, Arthur, and a misogynistic St. Patrick leading the latter). It's no secret that Bradley's novel was a gateway to paganism for many people, including myself (even if - spoilers - in the end Morgaine winds up accepting that the Goddess makes herself known in many guises, including Christianity)
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

The reason why I bring up Mists of Avalon is because it explicitly reframes the Arthurian legend as a spiritual and political conflict between a Goddess worshiping, pagan society that honors women, nature, and the "Old Folk" (fairies), and the emerging Christian religion that views women as subservient and impure (with Morgaine and the Ladies of the Lake leading the former, and Gwenhwyfar/Guinevere, Arthur, and a misogynistic St. Patrick leading the latter). It's no secret that Bradley's novel was a gateway to paganism for many people, including myself (even if - spoilers - in the end Morgaine winds up accepting that the Goddess makes herself known in many guises, including Christianity)
Now it's definitely at the top of my reading list! The binaries alone could probably take up an entire discussion thread! :o

I love the idea of the legends as a spiritual conflict. The actual history of Arthur's supposed time period was precisely that, as the native Britains and remaining Romans fought to keep the Saxons out of their country and their ideas from being adopted by their own people.

And yes, the language (especially Tennyson, in my opinion...I have a weakness for his poetry) could add such a unique and beautiful layer.

Oh, and I found something very interesting in my digging. I discovered a site that had a list of deities that they (or at least their high priestess) call upon in their rituals. To my surprise, and admitted delight, they listed Arthur among these deities. The entry they have states,
ARTHUR, KING-(Welsh, Cornish)Arthur was the son of King Uther Pendragon and Igraine, the Duchess of Cornwall. He was taught and protected by the magician/Druid Merlin, married Guinevere, a Triple Goddess/May Queen figure, and was mortally wounded in battle by his son Mordred (by Morgan LaFay). Arthur's body was carried to Avalon to sleep and await the time when he is needed. Therefore he is a sacrificial God/king in the purest sense.
Although I can't verify that this is typical thinking of Arthur by all groups of Arthurian Wiccans, it still provides an interesting look into how they've structured their pantheon. He is listed right along side other, more well known aspects of the God and Goddess, including Greek and Celtic. Other Arthurian entries include:
FISHER KING, THE(Welsh, Cornish) A confused but powerful set of tales coalesce in the Arthurian mythos to create this figure. Stripped of all the divergent threads and inconsistencies, the essence of the story seems to be that of a Guardian of a sacred treasure (the Grail, in the Arthurian cycle), who is injured with an incurable but nonfatal wound, brought about by his own misconduct or inability to maintain the superhuman standards of his office.

GUINEVERE, QUEEN(Welsh, Cornish) Also Gwenhwyfar, Gueneve, and Gwenivere. Her name means "white shadow", the sovereign power behind King Arthur's throne.
Morgan has also made this list, but since I've discussed her earlier in this thread and because it is a repetition of that, I'll refrain from putting her entry here as well. However, I saw no mention of Merlin (that shocked me), or the knights, any of them, at all, which didn't entirely surprise me (although I would love to know how they're viewed). I've also found no indication in their spells that they've incorporated any of the language of the texts into their practices. The extent of their Arthurian involvement, for lack of a better term, seems to be the inclusion of some of the figures from the cycles as aspects of the God and Goddess. I wish there had been more, but the site was very inactive and had just these few scraps of information. Still, it's more than I know yesterday, so woohoo for research!

I'm fascinated by their listing of Arthur as a Sacrificial King (although I quite agree). I've run across a similar concept in my time as a grad student. A fellow student had written an absolutely marvelous paper on how Arthur had ascended to a type of godhood in Britain. According to her thesis, kings are regarded very much like saints, in that their physical bodies, and body parts, take on holy properties after death. Due to the lack of Arthur's actual body, he has thus become an eternal king, one that continues to exist to the present day, in a sort of limbo, awaiting the time when his people truly need him again. He wouldn't return in the physical sense, but his spirit and strength can be called upon in times of crisis. By agreeing to go with the four queens to Avalon (or simply the Otherworld, depending on which version you're reading), Arthur sacrificed both life and death in order to always be at the ready to help his people. He exists somewhere between alive and dead, both reachable and yet not, very much akin to many people's understanding of spirits and deities.

And I could talk for absolute days on the idea of Guinevere as a Triple Goddess! smileylove What an interesting interpretation of her character and presence in the cycles! Ah, the idea makes me giddy! It also reminds me of a book I have that I'd completely forgotten about. Guinevere by Norma Loore Goodrich takes an intriguing lens to the connections between Arthur's queen and her possible pagan roots by claiming, and attempting to prove, that she was in actuality a pagan Pict priestess. It's really a very engaging book, although I'd advise that you take many of Goodrich's claims with a grain of salt. I've posted a review of the volume in the book reviews section.

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25435.html

If I don't stop myself here, this is going to become something of epic proportions. Can you tell this is my thing, haha? Anyway, I hope that's helpful and informative. I look forward to hearing any thoughts you guys may have. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Guinevere by Norma Loore Goodrich takes an intriguing lens to the connections between Arthur's queen and her possible pagan roots by claiming, and attempting to prove, that she was in actuality a pagan Pict priestess.
Oooh, that sounds awesome! Unfortunately Mists of Avalon makes her into a sort of antagonist (although she is still a complex and rich character), and I'd love to read about the pagan aspects of her. I've never thought of her as a Triple Goddess - can you expand on that a little?
The extent of their Arthurian involvement, for lack of a better term, seems to be the inclusion of some of the figures from the cycles as aspects of the God and Goddess. I wish there had been more, but the site was very inactive and had just these few scraps of information. Still, it's more than I know yesterday, so woohoo for research!
Have you tried looking into Avalon stuff? I haven't seen very much about Arthurian legend, but there's about six zillion things on the web that make references to Avalon that are pagan in nature (like the sisterhood of Avalon and stuff).

Yeah - Arthur as a sacrificial king figure is really cool. I only recently found out about the Fisher King legend, and that sounds also quite interesting - the ties between the body of the king and the land.
Due to the lack of Arthur's actual body, he has thus become an eternal king, one that continues to exist to the present day, in a sort of limbo, awaiting the time when his people truly need him again. He wouldn't return in the physical sense, but his spirit and strength can be called upon in times of crisis. By agreeing to go with the four queens to Avalon (or simply the Otherworld, depending on which version you're reading), Arthur sacrificed both life and death in order to always be at the ready to help his people. He exists somewhere between alive and dead, both reachable and yet not, very much akin to many people's understanding of spirits and deities.
That's really interesting - and he exists in such a weird limbo between manhood and godhood, especially since he was such a fallible man, but also with so much greatness that he takes on supernatural qualities. I'm starting to get really interested in him from a humanist point of view too.

Thread of epic proportions sounds awesome! We should also do an online Arthurian book club.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

An Arthurian book club would be amazing! That's a marvelous idea, Xiao! :D
That's really interesting - and he exists in such a weird limbo between manhood and godhood, especially since he was such a fallible man, but also with so much greatness that he takes on supernatural qualities. I'm starting to get really interested in him from a humanist point of view too.
Let me get to this first, because it is interesting, I completely agree. In almost all the cycles and stories, he is the ultimate hero king (in fact, he reminds me very much of Solomon from the bible, a study of parallels in and of itself!). However, there exists one known work in which he's portrayed as a villian, Marie de France's Lanval. In this poem, Arthur is seen as brutish, pigheaded, and selfish. Many of the traits for which he is remembered for are muted and dulled, which provides a stunning contrast to the hero of the work, the young knight Lanval. This is also poem in which the Otherworld plays a major part. I would argue that it's actually one half of a twofold focus in the poem. Arthur is, in a way, set up against a beautiful and cunning faerie queen (through Lanval), and the resulting exchange is really quite engaging to read. I also love that -spoilers!- at the end of the poem, Lanval jumps on the back of the queen's horse and she carries him off like some kind of trophy. Ironic role reversal at its best. :)

Also of interesting note, writing at the end of the nineteenth century, Celtic mythologist Sir John Rhys believed the Arthurian stories parallel that of Fionn MacCumhal of Irish lore (i.e. the Round Table compares with the Fenian warriors), and also parallels most of the old tales of Gwyddion. Of all the major Welsh folk heroes, only Gwyddion is conspicuously absent from the Arthurian legends. Rhys also asserted that "Knights of the Round Table" are barely disguised Welsh deities made acceptable to a medieval audience.

I found this really great article about Arthur as a pagan god. I haven't had a chance to fully peruse it, but so far, I'm impressed by the level of depth and scholarship.

http://arthurianscotland.wordpress.com/ ... ie-murray/
Oooh, that sounds awesome! Unfortunately Mists of Avalon makes her into a sort of antagonist (although she is still a complex and rich character), and I'd love to read about the pagan aspects of her. I've never thought of her as a Triple Goddess - can you expand on that a little?
Why, yes, my dear, I can. ;)

I think there are several reasons why Guinevere could be defined as a Triple Goddess. Firstly, I'll point out that in the earliest mentions of her, the Welsh epics, she is a triplet, identical in nearly every way to her siblings in appearance, but far surpassing them in grace, manner, and virtue. Hardly any of the cycles agree concerning who her father is, giving three different potential candidates, all with some kind of supernatural quality about them (one instance actually has a giant as her father). In later incarnations, she is only a twin (both born on the same night and had the same father,but different mothers), however, I think it can still be argued that her Triple Goddess role continues. In the texts that specifically deal with her and her twin, she is kidnapped and replaced by her evil sister. This is usually the second, successful attempt, as the first is always thwarted by Arthur's loyal knights. When the ruse is discovered, Guinevere's twin has used magic on the king to make him fall in love with her. They run away together and lock themselves in a remote tower at the furthest edges of the kingdom. Meanwhile, those knights who are loyal to Guinevere (a telling thing since women in Arthurian society rarely had warriors that swore fealty to a woman personally, the only exception being if they were lovers), including Arthur's own nephew Gawain, attempt to both restore Arthur's senses and defend the true queen from accusations of treason made by said bewitched king.

I believe that the argument can be made that Guinevere is occupying both roles, as victim and usurper. In both cases, she rules a kingdom from a different standpoint. As the evil twin, she holds Britain in the palm of her hand due to her sexual control over Arthur. As the innocent twin, she actually rules in Arthur's stead at Camelot, advising his knights on what steps to take in order to have their king returned to them. It is an interesting glance into not only man's fear of woman's power, but also flies in the face of the time's view of feminine intellect and capabilities. I'll also point out that it is only through his marriage to Guinevere that Arthur gains the right to rule. His union with her legitimizes him, and it is she who gives Arthur the Round Table. According to Norma Lorre Goodrich, the Round Table is actually land , a representation of her natural sovereignty and power that she in turn gives to her husband. Guinevere could then be seen as the land, as the embodiment of Britain. It is through her presence as queen that Arthur is able to fully and finally unite the kingdom under his rule. Furthermore, many of the Welsh poems speak of Arthur's three great queens, all named Gwenhwyfar.

It's also important to note that it was only in the French romances (encouraged by Geoffrey of Monmouth's pseudo-historical account) that Guinevere became barren. In previous texts and myths, she and Arthur had at least one son, if not more. However, she can be seen as the mother of Camelot, caring and guiding many of the young knights with gentle wisdom and a kind hand. In this way, I can see her fulfilling all three roles of Maiden, Matron, Crone that the traditional Triple Goddess occupies. As a Maiden, she is the most beautiful, courtly woman in the kingdom, young and vibrant. We've touched on her role as Matron. As a Crone, she possesses knowledge, and often is the person who enables the knights to embark on their quests.

I found another site (thanks to Xiao's recommendation that I search around using Avalon as a reference) that speaks to Guinevere's role as a Triple Goddess in this way:
Queen Guinevere is of the land and the union which gives kings their “ right to rule.” Her passion and love gave her not only her King Arthur ( a Winter God and Holly King) but also Sir Lancelot ( The Oak King). She is recorded in legends as Arthur’s “Three Chief Queens.” These three aspects of Guinevere show a common Triple Goddess. Her name Gwenhwyfar of “ white waves” relates to the color white for virgin which indicates she is complete in and of herself. Waves associate her with the great generative powers of the sea. She is indeed the feminine eternal symbol of strength and order in a peaceful universe. She brings energy and powers from The Other World, too. This does create some turmoil in the world. She has a role, too, as a Flower Maid, a fairy Goddess of Love, of Growth and Fertility. Her holiday is Beltane. Her sacred tree is the Hawthorne. Queen Guinevere is a Goddess of the Old Ones.”
Here's the site: http://talkwiththegoddess.wordpress.com ... y-vigrass/

And a second one that as tons of information: http://broomcloset.wordpress.com/tag/goddess-guinevere/

According to Norma Lorre Goodrich, Lancelot is actually an initiate into the Mysteries of which Guinevere is the High Priestess. One of the greatest examples is in The Knight of the Cart, when she is kidnapped by a prince and evil knight named Meleagant. There is an instance when she is accused of sleeping with Sir Kay, who had come to rescue her and was sleeping on a pallet in her chambers, wounder and unconscious. Meleagant's evidence was bloody sheets on which he claimed was soiled by either the knight's wounds, or worse, from Guinevere's virgin blood. In reality, Lancelot had slipped in and had approached her "bed", his hand cut deeply by the bars he broke in order to gain entrance. Goodrich claims that the word bed, in old French, can also mean "altar", and that instead of merely succumbing to a mutual attraction, they had actually performed a rite of initiation. She's careful to avoid stating explicitly one way or the other that they slept together, but the implication remains.

Again, stopping here, because I could just go on and on. I hope that's expansive enough, Xiao, haha. ;) I am thoroughly enjoying myself! :fairy:
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

In this post, I'd like to take an opportunity to explore the characters of a couple of the knights of the Round Table, and the possible opportunities, and connotations, that they could have for Arthurian Wicca.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find much about the knights from a Wiccan perspective. As a matter of fact, there is next to nothing regarding them, which surprises me greatly.

Gawain is the knight I would have expected to be at least mentioned. His character in the texts has perhaps one of the strongest Pagan presence, aside from perhaps Sir Kay, whom I'll get to in a moment. Gawain, even as late as the French Romances, had a unique ability that set him apart from his fellow knights. According to Rory Byrne’s article,
Despite the prominent connection with the supernatural held by both the characters of
Arthur and Merlin, it is clear that the character of Sir Gawain also holds a functional role in
relation to the supernatural – albeit a complex one. On the one hand, Gawain’s importance in
this role is underlined by the ubiquity of his supernatural dealings: from his long-standing
connection with the sun to his encounters with unworldly beings, Gawain’s ‘associations with magic and the supernatural were perpetuated throughout English literary tradition.’
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/english/doc ... gawain.pdf (fascinating article)

What is even more interesting than his unusual connection with the Otherworld, however, is the source of Gawain’s power, what made him one of Arthur’s greatest and most mysterious knights: the direct connection of his strength with the position of the sun.

Then had Sir Gawain such a grace -
An holy man had bodden that boon -
When he were in any place
There he sholde batail don,
His strength sholde wax in such a space,
From the under-time til noon,

And Launcelot forbore for that case;
Again twenty strokes he gave not one.

(Stanzaic Morte D’Arthur Sir Thomas Mallory, lines 2802-2809)

As the sun rises towards its zenith, Gawain becomes more powerful, and as it reaches its peak at noon and then begins to set further in the sky, he becomes weaker.

Academic theories and papers abound concerning how, when, and why Gawain has been credited with this ability, most agreeing that his character is the reincarnation of an ancient Celtic solar deity (although which one is conveniently left up to speculation). He also possesses a kind of second sight, able to see not only the truth of situations, but also of people. He was one of the few knights to remain absolutely loyal to Guinevere, defending her honor in combat (the Arthurian equivalent to a modern trial, with the winner being the obvious, honest individual and the loser the clear morally questionable party). According to some sources, his name is rooted in the older, Welsh name of Gwalchemi, gwalch meaning “hawk” and mei meaning “May”, as in the month.

Here are some awesome links with information regarding Gawain and some of his adventures, along with his relationship with the Otherworld:

http://facta.junis.ni.ac.rs/lal/lal2000/lal2000-06.pdf

http://www.geocities.ws/dagonet_uk/solarkts.htm

http://d.lib.rochester.edu/teams/text/h ... troduction

Another knight I want to consider briefly is Percival. As the original seeker of the Grail, he was the first knight to have an encounter with the fey-like Fisher King. (Here’s a pretty good site that gives fascinating information to the Fisher King’s pagan background: http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/student_org ... il/fisher/ ) Percival’s role in many of the tales is that of the traditional hero archetype, although interestingly enough, encounters far more Otherwordly women than men. It is through his interactions with them, rather than with the impotent and injured Fisher King that defines that role. He is the consummate seeker of truth, stumbling through situations and encounters much like the initiate who has little knowledge of the world in which he/she has entered. Percival in this sense is one of the most human of the knights, his mistakes and his reactions providing us with a figure to whom we can easily relate, and a pair of eyes that we feel we can trust.

It is also important to note that, unlike the later accounts of the Quest for the Holy Grail, resisting temptation was not a prerequisite for obtaining, much less seeing, the sacred object. Rather, what was most important was asking the right questions. Percival fails to do so during his initial visit to the Grail Castle due to the stifling influence of his mother’s really bad advice before he set out on his journey to become a knight. Upon actually managing to find the castle again (after the traditional year and a day), and asking the correct question, not only is the Fisher King healed, but the young man also truly becomes a knight. And what was the correct question, you ask? Quite simply, “Oye, your kingshipiness! What in blue blazes is that thing your servants are totting around there, and why on earth would they want to toddle around with it in the first place?” In this way, the Grail does not necessarily represent the divinity it is credited with in the later French romances. Instead, it is a symbol of, quite frankly, common sense, and curiosity.

That alone, in my opinion, is enough to warrant Percival a place among those from the Arthurian canon who are revered. Percival’s journey in the grail adventure is a wonderful parallel to the learning experience every beginning witch or Wiccan must go through. Much of our path is about asking the right questions, questioning authority, being curious of our circumstances, etc.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”