Favorite and Truthful Books.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
[Haley]

Favorite and Truthful Books.

Post by [Haley] »

i'm a newbie to wicca and i'm looking for books that give the truth and not a bunch of nonsense. so if you have a favorite book that has helped you in your studies or just a favorite author please post a reply.
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

I would start out with the more famous authors like Scott Cunningham, Dorothy Morrison, Christopher Penczak, Doreen Valiente, Farrar, who wrote the spiral dance? I can't think of it. It's driving me nuts. There are so many others, but I'm drawing a blank.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

cool. i'll check those out. thanks! :D
Leo*Moon

Spiral Dance

Post by Leo*Moon »

Starhawk wrote the Sprial Dance lol.
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. ~Shakespeare
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

what's the sprial dance?
Aloron

Post by Aloron »

Spiral Dance is an older book on Goddess Spirituality written by Starhawk. Not neccisarily the best if you are looking for books specifically on wicca. I would also suggest Cunningham as one of the best authors for beginner wiccans. And I would even be so bold as to say that a few of Silver Ravenwolf's books have some salvigeable tidbits of info. Avoid her book "Teen Witch" though, its anti-christian and misinformed. My favourite book on magic and ritual though has to be "The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells". Not only does it have 5000 great folk magic spells and rituals, it also teaches the basis of magic work and thinking. There are many books out there and the only real way you are going to know if they are "good" or not is by reading all of them. And thats the best thing you can do.
BlackenedRose*

Post by BlackenedRose* »

It might be a good idea to read some non-magical books on ethics (they don't have to be boring - a lot of stories have important ethical points too) and books on different points of view. This won't teach you spells but will teach an important part of witchcraft - WHY you do it. Books that are very good include the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman and any books by Terry Pratchett.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

thanks guys i'll check them out. and about Silver i already have Teen Witch and To Ride A Silver Broomstick so i've kinda had a hard time listening to the remarks about her and finding out the complete opposite of what she says is the truth that's why i've asked for help cuz i'm trying to steer clear of her and the rest of the liers.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I am a big fan of Scott Cunnigham
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

I'm fairly new myself, but I find books that aren't on Wicca specifically to give a solid foundation - if you can find a copy of Yeat's The Celtic Twilight it's a good background in Irish folklore and magic, but the book is nearly impossible to find.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight
Aloron

Post by Aloron »

Its fully understandable that you would like to steer clear of her. She means well, but she's super anti-christian and there is no place for discrimination in my books.

As for this post,
Books that are very good include the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman and any books by Terry Pratchett.
I thought both these authors wrote fiction?

Hmm... to each his own. For lots of wicca and new age books they are becoming easier and easier to get at Chapters or any other large book store chain. Just be sure to read the back, if it makes you get exited about having new powers and casting cool spells on people, you may want to put it back.
Meketheru

Post by Meketheru »

JBRaven wrote:I am a big fan of Scott Cunnigham
I'll second that. I love his books. (His encyclopedia of magical herbs especially.) :)
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

thanks for all of the help everbody! i really appreciate it. i need all the help i can get! :wink:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”