What, precisely, is an elemental?

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
Heartsong

What, precisely, is an elemental?

Post by Heartsong »

I've been doing some reading (again!) and I've come across, quite literally, dozens of definitions and explanations of what elementals are. However, I haven't found a single one that really delves into what, precisely, they are. I see that they're often called nature spirits, but what does that mean, exactly? I see that Wikipedia cites their conception with that of alchemy. So, nature spirits, as in the classical concepts of gnomes, uldines, salamanders, etc.? Or could they be faeries? Dryads? Or, a highly fascinating concept, are they fragments of the earth's soul? Are they intelligent, or do they operate on an instinctual basis? All of the above?

I certainly don't have an answer. I have an opinion, perhaps, but not an answer. But, I am very curious as to what you all think. What do you think is an elemental? What do you think of when you see the term? I would love to know your thoughts! smileylove
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Re: What, precisely, is an elemental?

Post by Starwitch »

I believe they are part of the consciousness of the Earth, or "fragments of the Earth's soul" as you said. They are assigned to care for different parts of Nature. I think that's the prevailing belief about them.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Starwitch wrote:I believe they are part of the consciousness of the Earth, or "fragments of the Earth's soul" as you said. They are assigned to care for different parts of Nature. I think that's the prevailing belief about them.
I really like that view of elementals, Starwitch. To me, when you invite the elements into your circle, in a way, you are inviting the Earth itself. I feel that I perhaps should know this, but I wonder about the link between elementals and the seasons. Do they change at all from spring to summer, autumn to winter? I could certainly see a Tree spirit adopting the look and feel of its tree, for example, its shape or coloring shifting. Hm, just a thought. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
miachrhys

Post by miachrhys »

I think of them as pure energy forms. We know fire, water, earth, and air are all composed of energetic structures and I view the elementals themselves as the most purest forms of those energies.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Starwitch wrote:I believe they are part of the consciousness of the Earth, or "fragments of the Earth's soul" as you said. They are assigned to care for different parts of Nature. I think that's the prevailing belief about them.
This is how I think of them as well. Great description.

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”