Roses?

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
AnuChild

Roses?

Post by AnuChild »

While at the local health food store/ new age store/ magic store (yes, an amazing three in one) I ended up buying a bag of dried organic rosebuds along with my usual bags of organic calendula, lavender, and chamomile. (There was a sale and I went a little crazy.) Anyway, do rosebuds have any use in tea? Or will I be making potpurri for my friends?
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Roses are used little in Herbal medicine, but they do contain medicinal benefits. Litttle research has been carried out surprisingly enough!
The essential oil of roses is used in aromatherapy as a mild sedative, antidepresant and anti-inflammatory remedy. The Rose Petals and the preparation of, have similar actions. They also reduce high cholesterol levels.
You could make Rose water by simply steeping the Petals in mineral water and leaving them for a week, then strain out the Petals and Voila! You have made Rose water. This makes a great skin toner and can be used as a lotion for sore and inflamed eyes. Just soak some cotton wool in the solution and place over eyelids. Rose water/oil is also effective in treating thread veins and broken capillaries.

MAGICAL USES:

For love, inner peace and compassion, to open the heart chakra, happiness, prophetic dreams, to help overcome dependancy and attachment, letting go of the past, dispel fears, sadness, grief and regret.

hedge
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

But making pot pourri is a very nice idea and makes a wonderful gift.
Have you made it before?

hedge
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

Oh yes. I have made potpurri before. Usually I make it in little cloth bags because I use spices and no one is going to let whole nutmeg just sit in a bowl where someone can mistake it for something else.... I suppose witih roses I would put it in a bowl or something.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”