Parsley Herb Lore

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
seidkonacat

Parsley Herb Lore

Post by seidkonacat »

A bit of herb lore about one of the most useful, versatile, effective herbs I know of; parsley.

In European tradition, parsley was often associated with the dead. High medieval sources claimed that its roots had to grow to Hell and back seven times before it would sprout. This may be a reference to the fact that it is notoriously difficult to sprout and takes a lot of care and hard work to get going. (As a gardener myself, I understand.)

However, this common saying, this bit of folk-lore, may have its roots in an older Pagan tradition. Parsley is often associated with the dead. It was used in funeral rites by the Greeks, possibly associated with Persephone. It's sometimes considered unlucky to transplant parsley, with the preferred method being to grow it from seeds (which is notoriously hard to do and takes a long time, possibly giving rise to the earlier saying). English folklore associates it with marriage and love in a somewhat negative light. It appears it could be used to end love in some manner, or to cross lovers. The Romans, on the other hand, used it to bless weddings.

If one should ever be unfortunate enough as to encounter the Wild Hunt, the huntsmen and huntswomen may be appeased by an offer of parsley. It will also possibly appease malevolent-minded draugr and hagbui. It can also be used as an offering to various goddesses, gods, and spirits, particularly those who deal with death, such as Odin, Freya, Hel, or even some land-wights (vaettir).

It can be used in rituals as a symbol of both death and rebirth.

Sources:
My own memory (because this isn't an academic paper, dammit, and sometimes you just pick things up in odd places)
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/parsle09.html
http://www.mythologydictionary.com/wild ... ology.html
http://www.ourherbgarden.com/herb-history/parsley.html
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ghosts.shtml
Heartsong

Re: Parsley Herb Lore

Post by Heartsong »

If one should ever be unfortunate enough as to encounter the Wild Hunt, the huntsmen and huntswomen may be appeased by an offer of parsley. It will also possibly appease malevolent-minded draugr and hagbui. It can also be used as an offering to various goddesses, gods, and spirits, particularly those who deal with death, such as Odin, Freya, Hel, or even some land-wights (vaettir).
Ooh, how interesting! I didn't know that! I'm writing that down in my BoS. I'm growing a little pot of parsley in my kitchen at the moment, I'll put some aside for offerings. Thank you for posting this information, seidkonacat. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
seidkonacat

Post by seidkonacat »

No problem! Whenever I go camping or hiking I always carry some fresh or dried in my pocket, just in case. I was so happy I learned about that bit of folklore. It's interesting how the herb is so connected with life, death, and salvation in so many different cultures. I use it probably more than any other herb except sage and maybe rosemary. In my experience, it makes a very welcome offering.
seidkonacat

Post by seidkonacat »

Heartsong wrote:
Ooh, how interesting! I didn't know that! I'm writing that down in my BoS. I'm growing a little pot of parsley in my kitchen at the moment, I'll put some aside for offerings. Thank you for posting this information, seidkonacat. :)
No problem! Whenever I go camping or hiking I always carry some fresh or dried in my pocket, just in case. I was so happy I learned about that bit of folklore. It's interesting how the herb is so connected with life, death, and salvation in so many different cultures. I use it probably more than any other herb except sage and maybe rosemary. In my experience, it makes a very welcome offering.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”