Anybody a Hellenic polytheist?

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Lover of War

Anybody a Hellenic polytheist?

Post by Lover of War »

The title basically says it all. Im trying to learn more about it all, bcuz ive been feeling that it might be the path im supposed to follow. Since Aphrodite and Ares popped into my life, ive been having more thoughts about greek paganism. I also had a dream where I was filling out a survey and it asked "Wat do u call god?" I answered Theoi.
Nightwatcher

Re: Anybody a Hellenic polytheist?

Post by Nightwatcher »

I do. Specifically I follow Artemis, Selene and Hecate but do sometimes work with Hermes, Hades and Apollo (and Zeus because he keeps poking into my dreams despite my telling him no X-x).
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

WiccanTeen7 wrote:The title basically says it all. Im trying to learn more about it all, bcuz ive been feeling that it might be the path im supposed to follow. Since Aphrodite and Ares popped into my life, ive been having more thoughts about greek paganism. I also had a dream where I was filling out a survey and it asked "Wat do u call god?" I answered Theoi.
I was studying Hellenic Polytheistic Reconstruction for a while. Though for me it became much more work than I was expecting. The Greeks were very strict with their rituals, and I didn't like the idea of having to start an entire ritual over because I mispoke or skipped something, which is what recon style Hellenic polytheism required.

I still love the ancient Greek Gods. Pan was my Patron for many years and Selene was my Matron for a long time. I occasionally still feel their influences, but not like I used to.

Have you read Greek Religion by Walter Burke?
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

loona wynd wrote:

Have you read Greek Religion by Walter Burke?
I haven't but I'm gonna be looking for it now!
Lover of War

Post by Lover of War »

Well hi Nightwatcher! Loona, I'm still trying to find out my beliefs about the whole thing, bcuz i don't think we should have to restart a whole ritual if we messed up a teensy bit. Also no I haven't read that yet, right now im reading stuff from internet, bcuz i cant buy books yet about this, and i've checked the library but nothing came up.
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

Well, for me, when I do rituals I focus more on the intent then being rigidly perfect. Back then the spells, incantations, songs and dances were handed down; you were actually trained. But nowadays since it's not practiced anymore it's harder to be exact.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

That's just a component of how strict reconstruction deal with ritual. They believed that everything had to be perfect for the Gods. I'm not saying you have to follow that. I just mentioned why I stopped my deep studies. I thought it might make an interesting conversation starter.

I also remember in my studies that magical practices were frowned upon by Greek society. Many people in ancient Greece believed that magic was the practice of controlling the Gods to do your will.

So magic and witchcraft in ancient Greece was very different from my starting point. While I was aware of two witches in Greek mythology (they were demi-goddess) I didn't want to practice a religion where I was considered to be inpious for being a witch. That was 10 years ago.

At the time there were no books and studies into the practices of Greek Magic and witchcraft. Today they have several books on the topic. So now things are different. There have been both academic and personal experience books written on the practices so I may start looking at that culture again.

Though I have a lot on my plate right now with my studies in the Feri tradition just starting. I'm also reconnecting to Nijord and Germanic witchcraft. So it nay be awhile before I get back to Greek studies. That being said my teacher in the Feri tradition does a lot of work with Hestia. So you never know.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Nightwatcher wrote: I haven't but I'm gonna be looking for it now!
it's a very thick book and very academic. I have only read a few chapters. What I did read was chock full of information. You may have some difficulties reading it at first.

I have two other anthropology texts on Greek religion on ny bookshelf. I'll get those to you later. I used those books in a college paper I wrote on Greek religion when i took a history of world religions class.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

WiccanTeen7 wrote:Well hi Nightwatcher! Loona, I'm still trying to find out my beliefs about the whole thing, bcuz i don't think we should have to restart a whole ritual if we messed up a teensy bit. Also no I haven't read that yet, right now im reading stuff from internet, bcuz i cant buy books yet about this, and i've checked the library but nothing came up.
inter library loan is your friend. You should (most libraries are connected to all other libraries in the state or region) through that be able to find it. It's a very popular text for studies in to Greek history as this book covers both the history of the religious practices but also the history of Greece as well due to the fact that the religious practices and development was tied to the development of the culture.
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

loona wynd wrote:it's a very thick book and very academic. I have only read a few chapters. What I did read was chock full of information. You may have some difficulties reading it at first.
Challenge accepted! :D

*cough* But in seriousness, I read very fast and quite a lot. I also just finished a semester about law and economics for my degree and our textbook was more or less a law book. That thing was dense and jargon-filled up the nose! :surprisedwitch: So if I can survive that, I should be able to read this one.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Nightwatcher wrote:Well, for me, when I do rituals I focus more on the intent then being rigidly perfect. Back then the spells, incantations, songs and dances were handed down; you were actually trained. But nowadays since it's not practiced anymore it's harder to be exact.
This is true. What I was saying is that modern Recons still follow this same concept. They do their best to make sure that everything in the ritual is done properly as best the can to the various styles of ancient Greek religion. Some recons go as far as to learn Greek so they can speak some of the invocations and ritual words in the actual language. Thankfully one of the early resources I had on Greek religion had the English version/translation as well. So that part works out.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Nightwatcher wrote:
loona wynd wrote:it's a very thick book and very academic. I have only read a few chapters. What I did read was chock full of information. You may have some difficulties reading it at first.
Challenge accepted! :D

*cough* But in seriousness, I read very fast and quite a lot. I also just finished a semester about law and economics for my degree and our textbook was more or less a law book. That thing was dense and jargon-filled up the nose! :surprisedwitch: So if I can survive that, I should be able to read this one.
Yeah. If you can read a law book than you can probably read this. I find that anthropological texts are very useful in understanding the religion from the cultures point of view rather than how we see it today. For me that provides excellent insight into what makes the religion different.

Plus in Greece you had several different religions. They didn't really have one national religion. each city state really had their own cultus or deity that they worked with. While there were some celebrations that were basically universal, in general the different regions had slightly different rituals and beliefs due to the different deities that they worked with. Cities were different than country temples. They all believed in and followed the same pantheon but there were differences in worship for different deities.

The other two books I have are:

Religion in Greence and Rome by H.J. Rose
Greek Folk Religion by Martin P. Nilsson

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”