Candle Colors Question

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Opalene

Candle Colors Question

Post by Opalene »

I was looking through some candle spells and noted that the color suggested for use in healing is red, when I always thought the healing color was green. Are candle colors different than colors used for other things? Confuzzled..
Heartsong

Re: Candle Colors Question

Post by Heartsong »

Well, color associations, I think, are dependent on the person. For instance, green may be the color of healing to you, while to someone else, for me, for instance, it would be blue. I say go with what you feel to be right. Red does make sense for healing in that it's the color of the muscle, of blood when its oxidized, and the color associated with the heart. On the other hand, green makes sense to, since its associated with life, fertility, growing things, and prosperity. Blue is soothing, cool, and associated with water (which I find to be a very healing element). So, again, I think it depends on how you see colors. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I agree with Heartsong! When I do candle magick (It's my main way of working magick), I let the candle colors speak to me. It honestly changes sometimes, depending on the situation. I choose which one stands out the most for that particular spell that I'll be working on. (: And sometimes, my Deity will tell me too. I just always go with whatever feels most empowering at that point in time, but of course, that could just be me. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

To add, I've also found that a color can have many, many meanings so it's good to both think about the various meanings of a color as well as what feels right like Sakura Blossom said.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Candle color correspondences, just like any other correspondence, can vary from person to person. Sometimes this comes about from personal experience, such as just going along with what feels right. Other times, it comes from other sources, such as correspondence tables written in the books that a person has read, or what correspondences a person has been taught to use by another person. Correspondences are even influenced by the environment a person lives in. For example, in the Northern hemisphere, north is associated with the element earth and south is associated with the element of fire. In the Southern hemisphere, these associations are reversed.
If you look through some of the threads in the Member's Books of Shadows section, you'll see that many members have color correspondence lists. No two lists are exactly alike. They are as unique as the members that use those correspondences. :fairy:
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

As others have already said, I think it depends on how you view the color and its significance to you.

For me I would use green for healing. When I do Reiki I see the healing light as green, and anything green to me is healing (crystals, stones, herbs, etc) I see blue as protection. When I do any protection spells/work I envision blue light bathing the person or object.

Red to me would be for love.

Go with what you feel the deepest connection, and are strongly drawn to, to do the work you want.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”