The 4 directions: How to use it in spells and rituals

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
LadyAngell

The 4 directions: How to use it in spells and rituals

Post by LadyAngell »

Hi I'm still working out about my own profile so I will post something in the introductions section soon.

Meanwhile, my burning question would be about the 4 directions. How does one use the 4 directions in spells and rituals? I've tried writing like "benign guardians of the 4 directions of the North, South, East and West" before. I'm scared that there might be dark forces that guard the 4 directions too which who knows I might invoke accidentally by calling for the 4 directions guardians.

In my meditation whilst I was doing an honor ritual to offer candle and herb and sea salt offerings to my patron deities of the Roman pantheon, I think the 4 directions guardians spoke. They said if the 4 directions were corrupted, then who would trust in any direction anymore?

Anyone has any experiences, insights or knowledge on this? I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance!
LadyAngell
Heartsong

Re: The 4 directions: How to use it in spells and rituals

Post by Heartsong »

In my experience, the only dark forces that are associated with the four directions are those that the practitioner invokes. Typically, the four directions (or Quarters) are called on to act as both protection for the circle during spells and rituals, and as aids that can lend their energy. To my knowledge, there aren't any malevolent spirits attached to the four directions, and those spirits or energies that are, are here to help, not harm. In theory, you could summon "darker" aspects to act as the Quarters if you desired, but most Wiccans that I know of tend to stick with calling on the elements.

Out of curiosity, could you explain more about what you mean about the directions being corrupted?
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Heartsong wrote:In my experience, the only dark forces that are associated with the four directions are those that the practitioner invokes.
Exactly.
If you're scared of accidentally invoking any dark forces you need to make sure that it's not you who might cause it in the first place. Take a ritual cleansing bath before a ritual or do anything that will ensure you that your mind and spirit is pure. When you feel pure you also feel empower and certain that you're only going to invoke what you want to invoke - nothing more, nothing less.

As for the four directions they're commonly associated with the four elements and four archangels.
  • Uriel, Cardinal Angel of the Northern Corner, Elemental Angel of Earth
    Gabriel, Cardinal Angel of the Western Corner, Elemental Angel of Water
    Raphael. Cardinal Angel of the Eastern Corner, Elemental Angel of Air
    Michael: Cardinal Angel of the Southern Corner, Elemental Angel of Fire
If you're interested in the "corrupted guardians" you might want to check this out: Click. Especially the "Watchers in Enoch" part.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

We have an older post that you may find helpful. http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25490.html :)
LadyAngell

Post by LadyAngell »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:We have an older post that you may find helpful. http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25490.html :)
Thanks Echo that's very helpful the link you gave me here is very useful.
LadyAngell

Post by LadyAngell »

Levitating Cat wrote:
Heartsong wrote:In my experience, the only dark forces that are associated with the four directions are those that the practitioner invokes.
Exactly.
If you're scared of accidentally invoking any dark forces you need to make sure that it's not you who might cause it in the first place. Take a ritual cleansing bath before a ritual or do anything that will ensure you that your mind and spirit is pure. When you feel pure you also feel empower and certain that you're only going to invoke what you want to invoke - nothing more, nothing less.

As for the four directions they're commonly associated with the four elements and four archangels.
  • Uriel, Cardinal Angel of the Northern Corner, Elemental Angel of Earth
    Gabriel, Cardinal Angel of the Western Corner, Elemental Angel of Water
    Raphael. Cardinal Angel of the Eastern Corner, Elemental Angel of Air
    Michael: Cardinal Angel of the Southern Corner, Elemental Angel of Fire
If you're interested in the "corrupted guardians" you might want to check this out: Click. Especially the "Watchers in Enoch" part.
Hi I didn't dare look at the link but I find it interesting about the four archangels and the four directions.
LadyAngell

Post by LadyAngell »

Heartsong wrote:In my experience, the only dark forces that are associated with the four directions are those that the practitioner invokes. Typically, the four directions (or Quarters) are called on to act as both protection for the circle during spells and rituals, and as aids that can lend their energy. To my knowledge, there aren't any malevolent spirits attached to the four directions, and those spirits or energies that are, are here to help, not harm. In theory, you could summon "darker" aspects to act as the Quarters if you desired, but most Wiccans that I know of tend to stick with calling on the elements.

Out of curiosity, could you explain more about what you mean about the directions being corrupted?
"If the four directions were corrupted, who would believe in any directions anymore?" was spoken by someone I saw in meditation. Not sure who but someone said it in the meditation scene where I was astralling.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

You pose a question that I'd never thought of. Specifying benign guardians can't hurt. The more exact the wording and intent of a working is, the less chance there tends to be of something going wrong.

Of course in the horror stories, someone always makes one tiny mistake that leads to all kinds of a big bloody mess. And why do they always go running to the attic? I don't get it.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
random417

Post by random417 »

The line "hail to the guardians of the WATCHTOWERS of the (direction) comes from ceremonial magic, and more specifically Enochian. They're specifically angels. Not exactly sweetness and light, but the "guardians of the watchtowers" do refer to specific beings. I wouldn't worry about it, if that's the passing you're using
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”