REVIEW: Mysteries of the Dark Moon, by Demetra George

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

REVIEW: Mysteries of the Dark Moon, by Demetra George

Post by Xiao Rong »

Mysteries of the Dark Moon: The Healing Power of the Dark Goddess, by Demetra George
Published in 1992 by HarperCollins Publishers

[standard disclaimer that this book review is solely my opinion, etc. Feel free to disagree with me!]

ABOUT THE BOOK

This book is about reclaiming the power of darkness and the night as rejuvenating forces that we have to reclaim. The first bit is about the relation of the lunar cycles to the menstrual cycle, the Wheel of the Year, etc., and how we can see the dark moon phases in our own lives. Next, George posits that the reawakening of the Goddess in modern times is part of a larger historical “lunation cycle” in which we are just coming out of a dark moon phase that lasted thousands of years. She discusses the power of certain nighttime and “monstrous” goddesses such as Medusa, Lilith, and Nyx, as well as the myth of Demeter and Persephone (who is herself a goddess of darkness, in a way), and how these can influence our understandings of death and lead to psychic transformation for the better.

THE GOOD[/b

We’ve all seen the discussions of what it means to practice “white magic” vs. “black magic” or what “darkness” in our magical understanding really means. This book is a really important perspective on the symbolism of darkness and the nighttime; where Christianity and modern dualistic thinking likes to demonize the darkness, George seeks to reclaim it as a natural part of our lives (the way that the dark moon is a necessary phase for the moon) and how it can help us lead more balanced lives by bringing our unconscious to the foreground. Her treatment of the dark moon phase and how it relates to psychology and archetypes was especially interesting. I also really liked the “journal questions” at the end of each chapter, which are very interesting and thought-provoking.

THE BAD

Generally I really liked this book, but I did look kind of askance at the claim that the reawakening of the Goddess is a 40,000-year lunation cycle. It’s an interesting metaphor, but I think that something needs to have happened at least once before it can be considered a cycle. (but that’s just probably me nitpicking)

TO TAKE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

As a heads up, this book has no rituals or spells in it. You also need a working knowledge of what the patriarchy and feminism are, because they discuss menstruation and oppression of women quite a bit.

THE VERDICT

Very interesting, thought-provoking book; a breath of fresh air from the “black magic” as it’s typically thought of.

4.5 out of 5 stars
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
North Star

Re: REVIEW: Mysteries of the Dark Moon, by Demetra George

Post by North Star »

I just ordered this one, Xiao. Thanks for the review! :)
Aria

Re: REVIEW: Mysteries of the Dark Moon, by Demetra George

Post by Aria »

looks like a great book ..thanks for sharing.

Return to “Book Reviews”