Candles

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Luna*Cat

Candles

Post by Luna*Cat »

Merry Meet

Are there any "rule" as to the size and shape of candles that should be used. I do not have any local craft/occult shops and so have to look at other places to buy my stock. I have been looking round to try to get a selaction of colours to get me started, but does it really matter whether you have alter, dinning table or voiles (sp?)? Or is it again a matter of choosing the pieces that feel right to you? What sort does everyone else use?

Blessed Be
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

It really doesn't matter Scatlett :D

What feels right for you will work for you. My alter is also my dressing table ( and also a bit of a mess!!!!). I use cheap candles and incense for everyday use ( I do have other fancy ones that I use for the Sabbaths, but that's only because they are aesthetically pleasing to ME )

And believe me when I say the god and goddess really don't mind if you use a big or small candle that costs 60 cents or if you don't have an alter.

You don't need these items to be connected to the divine, all you need you have to hand allready, your mind :)

hedge
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

Like Hedge said, it doesn't matter. Hell, I buy mine from Walmart and Dollar General. lol
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
Aloron

Post by Aloron »

I agree. I get all my candles at a buck or two. Sise doesnt matter, but colour does, as is the whole purpose of the candle itself. Whatever will fit on your altar. Now its important to have a space that is designated for your purpose which you can call your altar. (you can use a specific spot on the floor it does not have to be raised.) But what hedge said kinda disturbed me LOL.
My alter is also my dressing table ( and also a bit of a mess!!!!).
Come on, this is your religious space for magical working and devotion to the gods. If you leave this messy, your life will become messy.
Luna*Cat

Post by Luna*Cat »

It is good to hear that shape and size is not an issue. As I have to buy my bits local finding coloured candles can be an issue if you are restricted to a certain type. So I can now go out an stock up.
But like you said hedgewitch, already have the most important tool.......and that is myself.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Exactly, Scarlett Phoenix. The power of magic comes from within, not from the tools you use.

Personally, I'm a "kitchen witch"... I have a designated carry-tray as my altar... quite portable. (Well, it has it's own storage area in the closet though, so guess you could call me a "closet witch")... he, he, he. :28:

My candles have mostly all come to me as gifts. But those that don't... Walmart is my place too. :) I actually carve my candles into their appropriate shape for the spell working. And if not that, carving words and/or names I've found to be quite effective as well.

But as they say, size doesn't matter. (It's not the size of the wave but the motion of the ocean?!?) Okay, I just couldn't resist. blue_blush
Luna*Cat

Post by Luna*Cat »

MoonStone wrote: (It's not the size of the wave but the motion of the ocean?!?) Okay, I just couldn't resist. blue_blush
:lol: :lol: :lol: lol :lol:
southpaw

Post by southpaw »

What about what color to use for what porpose?

From reading I know white and sometimes black can be for protection...Red for love...green for money. But, what about the other colors of the rainbow?

Thanks!
Andria
Fanny

Post by Fanny »

as you said southpaw Black can be for protection..it's also good for Banishing..
ALso...
Blue-Honor, change, psychic ability.
Green-abundance, growth ,healing,money
Orange-courage,ambition,friendship,success
Red-sexual love,lust passion,willpower
White- cleansing healing divination.
Yellow -Joy, creativity,communication...
Never regret anything, because at one point ...it was exacly what you wanted!
runningintheshadows

Post by runningintheshadows »

question, what should i do if i cant burn candles or incense? i live in a dorm and would like to continue cleansing/spell casting, when my roommates not around lol (she's easily freaked out. i'd rather not have the awkward "i'm a pagan that practices witchcraft" conversation) but i can't burn candles or incense in my dorm. are there any other materials i can use to enhance my energy that dont require flame?
sleepingsecret

Post by sleepingsecret »

Oils of course...ummm...clensing powders...oils....sprays that you can make or buy. Would help you since you can't burn candles or incenses

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”