Terminology?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Falcon_Heart27

Terminology?

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

I know this sounds like a very beginner question (probably because it is), but I'm a bit confused on the differences in terminology used when describing a person who practices magick. What is the difference between words such as witch, warlock, sorcerer, enchantress, wizard, etc?
Thanks in advance for the help. :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Terminology?

Post by loona wynd »

Falcon_Heart27 wrote:I know this sounds like a very beginner question (probably because it is), but I'm a bit confused on the differences in terminology used when describing a person who practices magick. What is the difference between words such as witch, warlock, sorcerer, enchantress, wizard, etc?
A warlock is an oath breaker.

A witch is some one who practices a form of witchcraft.

Sorcery is often times associated with witchcraft. Its a different name for different magic.

Enchantress isn't something I have heard of being used in the modern day.

Wizardry is a school of magic as well. There is a specific school for wizardry called the Grey school. It is another form of witchcraft though the approaches may be different.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

loona wynd wrote:
Falcon_Heart27 wrote:I know this sounds like a very beginner question (probably because it is), but I'm a bit confused on the differences in terminology used when describing a person who practices magick. What is the difference between words such as witch, warlock, sorcerer, enchantress, wizard, etc?
A warlock is an oath breaker.

A witch is some one who practices a form of witchcraft.

Sorcery is often times associated with witchcraft. Its a different name for different magic.

Enchantress isn't something I have heard of being used in the modern day.

Wizardry is a school of magic as well. There is a specific school for wizardry called the Grey school. It is another form of witchcraft though the approaches may be different.
This is a perfect break down. Thanks for the clarification
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

A Witch is a male or female who practices magick.

A Warlock, Sorcerer, Enchantress are all terms used instead of saying witch, wizard, warlock & sorcerer are for male pracititioners, enchantress is a more modernized term for a female.

Over the years these terms have been continually tossed around and sterotypes are with anything people do. Typically said though the proper term for one who practices witchcraft is Witch, that is male or female :)
DamianCrow

Post by DamianCrow »

What about "magician"?
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Those who practice the kind of magic you see at magic shows (card tricks, birds, bunnies in hats, etc..).
Siona

Post by Siona »

Vesca wrote:Those who practice the kind of magic you see at magic shows (card tricks, birds, bunnies in hats, etc..).
Some traditions do use the term, as well... like some practitioners of ceremonial magic are referred to as magicians. Also some Egyptian traditions have sau magicians (although some will just call them sau).
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

When I hear wizard I think of druids. Magicians can do magick or illusions. Illusions are the Vegas type magic you see. Witch is definitely male or female. I don't hear the others very often.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”