Challenging someone named Mar or Mare

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
graveghoul

Challenging someone named Mar or Mare

Post by graveghoul »

I specifically remember in my dream preparing myself coming outside of a restaurant with a large magical sword saying that Mare or Mahr was challenging me and that I was going to whoop her (definitely female) ass. I specifically remember saying "Pfftt...Mare as in Nightmare?" I remember feeling an arrogance about me as if this goddess or spirit was nothing but a pest. That is the gist of the dream and that is when I woke up. Any idea who's this entity may be?
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Challenging someone named Mar or Mare

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Here's a link that might help: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mare
The couple theories that I have are:
  • Mare is a female horse and the only goddess I know of that is associated with horses is Epona. Though I'd like to think there are others.
  • Perhaps you are fighting someone with an association to horses, has horse-like tendencies, or has horse-like features.
  • In the UK, mare is a slang term for a "foolish woman."
  • Also from the UK, mare is a shortening of the word nightmare. Just like you were thinking. :)
  • Mare is Latin for "sea." Perhaps there is a sea deity connection.
If you read the article, you might come up with more ideas.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

My first thought was Morrigan. She's a goddess of battle, strife and fertility.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Okay, this is really weird because when I did my first meditation to talk to a tree at my old house, I got the name Mar too. I'm wondering now if they are an entity or a deity of some sort... The only thing is that I felt a male presence instead. I just had to weigh in because I found this interesting.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
graveghoul

Post by graveghoul »

Sakura Blossom wrote:Okay, this is really weird because when I did my first meditation to talk to a tree at my old house, I got the name Mar too. I'm wondering now if they are an entity or a deity of some sort... The only thing is that I felt a male presence instead. I just had to weigh in because I found this interesting.
Wow! How odd is that? And the dream had a whole lot going on. Classic cars, my recent xbf, his kids, an ice cream/malt shop. (Probably all things associated with him because he goes to car shows every weekend at Chic-Fil-A) but yes that name stood out immensely.
It was pronounced like "Mare". To me, i was going to battle an entity. A shit-talking, arrogant, possibly light blue colored aura with pale skinned entity. HAHa.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

See, I felt Marr but I wasn't sure. And I got the same personality feeling, just not female. That's really interesting! I'll have to look and see if I have anything written down from that encounter or not.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
graveghoul

Post by graveghoul »

Sakura Blossom wrote:See, I felt Marr but I wasn't sure. And I got the same personality feeling, just not female. That's really interesting! I'll have to look and see if I have anything written down from that encounter or not.
Yeah definitely let us know!
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

A few names off the top of my head that may or may not help:

Māra: Latvian Goddess of the feminine duties (cleaning, cooking, the market, child rearing) and mother earth.

Mara: Hindu Goddess of death (or the word is just associated with death).

Mara: Is a demon from a Buddhist story.

Mara (aka Morena, Morana, or Maruha): Slavic Goddess of Winter, Death, and Night. Also sometimes associated with unhappy relationships. (Mara is the name for "nightmare" in some slavic languages)
Jack

Post by Jack »

It could very well be mare as in nightmare - there is a kind of "spooky" spirit called mare or mara in eastern Europe. It could also be the goddess of winter and death, but that seems like a much harder battle. ;)
Jade Rose

Post by Jade Rose »

This kind of scared me to be honest, because in reality my nickname is Mar and I've had a few nightmares recently. Haha.

But I can assure you all, I'm not challenging anyone. :p
graveghoul

Post by graveghoul »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I've understood the gist of the dream. Like most of my dreams, I'm assuming it was about letting go of the past as a nightmare and embracing the future in a positivehumble, balanced and yet realistic approach. I appreciate the time you all have taken to try and summarize this name and correlations.
graveghoul

Post by graveghoul »

An update. Looking back it's true. I have been and was facing the demon of spiritual death, Mara. I even saw the same faces as in the ones depicted in this link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_(demon)

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”