Petition - Animal Cruelty

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Hi everyone. I'm Starwitch, the owner of Everything Under the Moon. I want to thank you all for being here. I apologize for not posting more. I want to share something with you today though.

Please take a moment to sign and share this petition to ban tail docking and ear cropping in the U.S.. This is a subject that's very important to me. Two of my dogs had their tails chopped off for no reason whatsoever except to conform to some outdated "AKC breed standard" that needs to be changed. Other countries have already banned tail docking and ear cropping because they did the research and came to the conclusion that these practices constitute animal cruelty. But here in the U.S., they're still perfectly legal. Tail docking is routinely performed on around 70 different breeds (that's tens of thousands of puppies every day). No anesthesia is used. Many puppies aren't even taken to the vet. The docking is frequently done at home with scissors or a knife. It's such a horrible thing to put them through, and for no good reason at all - especially when it comes to pet dogs like mine. There are those who will say that hunting dogs need to be docked, but they ignore the fact that there are plenty of hunting dogs who have full tails and are fine. People who enjoy mutilating their dogs have so many excuses why they should continue doing it, but every excuse they have has been soundly debunked already. If you have questions, I'm happy to answer them.
A tiny puppy screams as some asshole slices her tail off for no good reason.
A tiny puppy screams as some asshole slices her tail off for no good reason.
Tail_docking_2.jpg
Here's the petition:

American Kennel Club (AKC): Ban Tail Docking and Ear Cropping in Dogs

Thank you so much for doing this!

Starwitch
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Re: Petition - Animal Cruelty

Post by Starwitch »

And let me say another thing. There are these idiots out there who ask the question, "How is tail docking and ear cropping any worse than the invasive spay/neuter surgeries most dogs undergo?" Seriously? You're not even kidding, right? Okay, here's the answer to that.

1. Dogs are given proper pain relief (typically general anesthesia) during a spay/neuter.
2. Pet overpopulation is a very real problem and this is the best way to address it at this time.

What a stupid question. I didn't spay my girls, but that's because I keep them very close and they are protected from the outside world (our boy is neutered). If you have the ability to prevent unwanted pregnancies, you don't have to spay/neuter. You're given no such choice with tail docking, since that's done when the puppy is 3-5 days old, long before you purchase or adopt your dog.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I tired to sign but was having difficulties on my phone. I'll try again when I get home.

Rosie
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I signed on Facebook. We don't mutilate our children to meet arbitrary standards. We shouldn't mutilate our fur babies to meet arbitrary standards. AKC breed standards have led to other health problems in dogs as well. How many Germany Shepherds have hip and back problems? They're not supposed to have sloping backs. It makes me nuts!

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Just signed.
This breaks my heart. I have a Yorki-poo and a Morkie that both had their tails docked. :(
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Oh, this tears my heart to pieces. Those poor, sweet babies :-(
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Thanks for signing everyone! I really do appreciate it!
SnowCat wrote:We don't mutilate our children to meet arbitrary standards.

Sadly, here in the U.S., we actually do mutilate our children - the boys at least. It's a federal crime to circumcise girls, but it's perfectly legal and socially accepted to do it to boys.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

TwilightDancer wrote:Just signed.
This breaks my heart. I have a Yorki-poo and a Morkie that both had their tails docked. :(
That really upsets me. There's NO REASON for breeders to dock designer breeds. It's utterly ridiculous. There's no breed standard that they need to follow. The majority of Morkies are not docked. My Morkie has a gorgeous tail. But you're not the first I've heard from who had a docked Morkie. It always makes me mad. I'd love to ask those breeders exactly what the hell they're thinking. It's bad enough when they dock to follow the breed standard, but at least that's understandable on some level. I can't understand docking for no reason at all, just because a dog happened to come from a docked parent. Maltese aren't docked, and that's the Morkie's other parent. It's so stupid. I'm sorry they did that to your babies.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Just signed,
This is terrible. I can't find any reason why pups should go through such suffering to please someone.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Thanks YanaKhan :)
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Signed! What a terrible practice to enforce on any living thing.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I just know my babies would have gorgeous tails if this didn't happen to them. I wish I could sign a thousand times! :evil:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Also I have a real problem with breeders deliberately creating anatomical aberrations (furless cats etc.) Poor little innocent ones face a difficult life dependent upon stupid humans. As a dominant being we have a responsibility to protect and nurture all over which we have dominion with love and wisdom. For much of the animal kingdom we are the earth-angels and I believe we are to be held severely responsible for acts of cruelty against such as these because they have no recourse and we should know better.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Thanks for signing! I know just how you feel, TwilightDancer. It's sad to see my babies trying to wag their tails and hardly anything happens. It's pitiful. It's such a cruel thing to do to take away their main form of communication.
Mystie.Graves

Post by Mystie.Graves »

I signed. =)

I have always thought this was cruel.
I see no reason for this kind of treatment.
It's a cosmetic unnecessary pain people cause animals.

I do know getting your pet spayed is important,
In fact it's best for the health of female animals.
The female parts can swell & extend out of the body and cause severe infection.
I've seen this happen to a pet. It's horrible.
Though it's less common in smaller animals, but it can still happen.

Just because some things are needed,
Doesn't make it okay for such cruelties.

I hate this, seems like it should have never been a thing to start with.
I wonder how the people who do this would feel
If they were held down and had parts of them cut off.

I hope something is done about it.

~*~

(P.S. Sorry for being gone so long. Life had me busy.
Then got to switch my internet service bundle.
My contact was terrible and finally expired.
So I got a new better deal. lol!)
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=

Return to “Animals and Pets”