Disposal of Scrying mirror

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Disposal of Scrying mirror

Post by AdastraJunction »

So long story short,

I was cooking supper and heard a crash from my bedroom. Come to find my dogs have broken my black scrying mirror I have used for 7 years is practically shattered on the floor. Any suggestions on disposal? I feel it would be just wrong to toss it in the rubbish bin.

*sigh* I'm going to have to make another one tomorrow.
Vesca

Re: Disposal of Scying mirror

Post by Vesca »

One of the things I've read about properly disposing of a broken mirror to prevent any residual bad luck (and is also something of a cleansing rite) is to bury the shards outside under the light of the moon the night of or the night after the mirror breaks.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

Thank you Vesca! That sounds like a good idea, I'll do that.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

That was always my backup plan, just in case one of my reflective thingies broke. :) Glad to help.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

How might I go about disposing of a non-broken scrying mirror?
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Disposal of Scrying mirror

Post by SpiritTalker »

Wash it in salted water to break the link to you, expose it to sunlight to decommission it, wrap it in newspaper and donate it.
jaybirdblue

Post by jaybirdblue »

I agree with SpiritTalker. Salt is a great way to cleanse things. I personally would bury it afterwards, but I dont know if thats the "right way".
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

JBB, I'm just curious, why do feel burial is needed? That's also been mentioned for the broken mirror, so I think I'm missing something...mostly because I gave away my black mirror, and my drum and some extra cauldrons in a give-away. The drum had not been consecrated, and the other items were washed in salt water before gifting. I'm wondering if I blew it. Could you fill me in?
jaybirdblue

Post by jaybirdblue »

Oh, I dont think its NEEDED by any means, but its my "style" I guess? I like giving things back to the earth you know? Mostly the symbolism of it. I feel like the earth itself is cleansing. Of course you need to make sure that what youre burying is nontoxic and you don't go overboard and go from burying items ceremonially to straight up littering. If its biodegradable its better, but its not always an option.
So you for sure didnt do anything wrong at all, and if all of that stuff has a new home now thats great. If they still had some good use left in them it would be a shame to just bury them you now?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Thank you for explaining that. I had thought maybe itmhad something to do with the scrying and just had a twinge of OMG. Yeh, I get your meaning about ceremonial burial versus a landfill. Thanks again.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”