Shamanic Journeying

AnaisStar

Shamanic Journeying

Post by AnaisStar »

I thought we could use this thread to post our journeys, and discuss them with others. Anything related to journeying can go here...meditation CDs, tips, intentions, your personal journeying stories. Im eager to hear other's experiences with journeying.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Shamanic Journeying

Post by loona wynd »

My most interesting work was traveling within the Dragon realms and meeting the Dragons of the elements. That was scary and partially a spirit initiation.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Here is my first one using the first exercise in Christopher Penczaks "Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft" book

The drum beats counting me down into a deep meditative state I arrived before a large tree, my tree. Its base was thick, with knotty roots that broke through and down into the soil. The trunk was massively thick, with rough bark and many little sections of holes and tiny caves.

The trunk stood near a body of water, and was surrounded by other large, ancient trees all around. I made my way to the base of the tree and stuck my hands into the wet soil at it's base. It had just rained and the smell of wet earth filled my nostrils. I grabbed the wet soil and let it run through my hands, as I lifted them over head in honor of the tree.

My feet rooted down into the wet earth like the trees roots, and my hands lifted up growing tall like the branches of the tree. I looked up as the canopy of the tree shadowed over me. I turned to see Archangel Michael, my protector, watching over me. He flew gently to my side, and grabbed my hand. We turned to stare at the tree, holding hands.

Off in the distance one of my spirit/power animals, the doe, watched on as Michael and I bent down and dug our hands into the soil. We then placed our muddy hands onto the trunk of the tree, feeling its roughness. We both wrapped our arms around the tree giving it a hug. We released the tree and stood facing each other, placing our muddy hands together. Palm to palm.

I looked at the base of the tree and saw a paticular cave like entrance that I knew would take me into the inner part of the tree. My secret temple that only I alone can enter. What looked like stairs took me down. But instead of walking down, I was led downward in a spiral, my body turning and moving down like a corkscrew into a bottle of wine.

I landed at the base and looked around at my inner temple. It was dark, but spacious. I looked up and could tell I was inside the tree. I noticed a small table and chair, and a large full length mirror on one side.

On another wall was a large rack of every herb, or plant substance in nature. Beneath the herb racks, was a large book. I flipped through it and heard Airmid tell me that she had given me the working knowledge of every herb. That she would be there to guide me as I learned them all. The book would also give me the knowledge and access to form any spell that I could ever need.

I moved over to the mirror and looked in. Instead of my own reflection I was met with the face of Apollo, and felt Micheal's hands on my shoulders as he stood behind me. They both told me that they were there to help me on my healing journey. That I wasn't to worry about weight, my body, or anything. Every time I came down with them I could have access to a healing journey for any need that I may have. That through the healing journeys my body would grow stronger and more beautiful each time.

I took another look around and realized that it was time to go back. I felt myself moving back up through the tree in that same spiral sweeping motion and landed outside of the tree at its base. I said thank you and backed away.

Calling myself back through the beat of the drums.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

My world tree is rather complex as I believe that all the other worlds described in any cultural mythos is real. I've experienced too many different other worlds to really hold any other belief. So my inner temple has many different doors in it, and each door leads to a different realm depending on which world and realm I want to visit.

The underworlds and the Dragon realm are the two places I have explored the most. Though I want to explore the elemental realms and the angelic realms. I also need to explore the Germanic worldtree a bit more. Though those worlds are also open to me from my Temple as well. I just travel Yggdrasil via its connection to my worldtree or visecersa.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Mine seems that way as well. I have lots of doors/tunnels but havent explored them all. Ive been to the upper realm and lower realm though. Im following along with the CD before really going deeper though.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:Mine seems that way as well. I have lots of doors/tunnels but havent explored them all. Ive been to the upper realm and lower realm though. Im following along with the CD before really going deeper though.
I wish sometimes that I could have a simple cosmology. However personal experiences don't really allow for that to happen. I've experienced the Germanic Underworld (Helheim) and Hades/Tarturus as well as the Summerland and the realms of the elves. I've found like deities that basically so long as some one believes in them the realms will exist. This is why I became an Omnitheist and hold a large multi-verse theory.

Its been my experience that while the three realm theory and view is effective its also rather limiting as there are many other worlds. So I've started to really see that the three realm view is a basic guide to where they lie in relationship to one another and that there are many worlds within the realms.
Zili

Post by Zili »

I haven't journeyed in so long I do remember once in meditation I woke in a clearing surrounded by the tallest trees and I was greeted by wolves.

At another time I used shamanic tunnel healing (chakra healing) but found the way to my heart chakra was blocked by a white tiger who warned harm would happen if I entered at the time.

Another journey I remember taking was one in this world, a meditation that allowed me to see through the eyes of a hawk flying above me. It was indescribable the feeling of light and seeing myself from the sky.

I have not attempted any journeying since last summer when all accesses in my mind were locked tight. My mother bought me a cd "Sound for the Soul: Classical Music for Relaxation" (found at Bed, Bath, and Beyond) I intend to use it as accompanying music for future journeying.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Zili thats interesting on the journey to your heart chakra. Did you figure out why you felt blocked?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Zili wrote:I haven't journeyed in so long I do remember once in meditation I woke in a clearing surrounded by the tallest trees and I was greeted by wolves.
Interesting. I've never had any work or experience with wolf spirits. Though their symbolism has always interested me. Do you have any specific meanings or associations with wolves that you can share or got out of the experience?
Zili wrote:At another time I used shamanic tunnel healing (chakra healing) but found the way to my heart chakra was blocked by a white tiger who warned harm would happen if I entered at the time.
Were you ever able to work through this?
Zili wrote:Another journey I remember taking was one in this world, a meditation that allowed me to see through the eyes of a hawk flying above me. It was indescribable the feeling of light and seeing myself from the sky.
Hmmm. To me that would be partial shape shifting. Shape shifting is something that comes in a few different forms and seeing yourself from the perspective of the animal is one form it can take as you have the animals or beings senses with that experience. Other forms are you in spirit become the animal or being. There is also an idea or concept of mind melding that i think is a form of shape shifting as you are putting your mind into the mind of an object.

I have a topic on this Shape shifting here.

Zili wrote:I have not attempted any journeying since last summer when all accesses in my mind were locked tight. My mother bought me a cd "Sound for the Soul: Classical Music for Relaxation" (found at Bed, Bath, and Beyond) I intend to use it as accompanying music for future journeying.
Good luck with that. The last time I attempted a journey I was attempting to journey while drumming for myself. It wasn't a full trance so I don't really remember most of that experience.
azriel

Post by azriel »

I just finished reading Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft last week and have also been using his exercises as a good foundation on which to explore this path. So far I have journeyed mainly to ease my way into this path without trying to overdue myself. Each journey had a small goal in mind and once completed I would return.

However, just recently I performed a journey to my Inner Temple, merely to meet and have a chat with someone, and attempted to return when the ground began to engulf me and I was falling. I was sifting through the dirt until I landed on a hard surface with a being of pure white energy below me. It introduced itself as the life force of the Earth and she wanted to say hello. She then sent energy through my feet and at the moment I did not feel any different, just a tingling sensation. When I woke up, I felt completely refreshed and for the first time in a while I did not feel tired.

Even when we plan trips or anything really, life has a way of changing it up to inform us what we are ready/not ready for and what we should be focusing on the moment.

I would love to go outside more but the cold is coming in! I merely want to hibernate and lay in the warmth of the Earth's embrace.

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think I need to investigate the shamanic path. What I'm reading of others' experiences makes me think that some of my experiences are related to the shamanic path.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
azriel

Post by azriel »

SnowCat wrote:I think I need to investigate the shamanic path. What I'm reading of others' experiences makes me think that some of my experiences are related to the shamanic path.

Snow

It is funny how people believe that there are more differences that separate things from each other, but the truth is that similarities are more common. :D A lot of rituals and practices coincide with each other and Shamanism is no different!

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
catsmeow

Post by catsmeow »

For me, the idea of journeying was introduced to me as the green world. I think Scott Cunningham was the author who introduced this concept, but I'm not entirely sure. Through deep levels of meditation, I could access a world that was bathed in green light. There were faces, shadows, that would follow me throughout my life.

I became more heavily involved in witchcraft and shamanic journeying about three years ago. My first shamanic journey occurred using Sandra Ingerman's drumming music and her exercises. It was difficult to journey, and it wasn't until I implemented the witchcraft I was learning (at the time inspired and guided by a shamanic musician who performed the tarantella) that I began to really feel connected with spirit. I use a rain stick and dance. There is a single candle lit, with the husks of insects surrounding a small makeshift altar. I'm blindfolded all throughout. Then, I move into a seated position as I hear the shimmering on rainsticks on my computer, then the drums. In the darkness I danced with what I could only describe as angels, and have found beautiful spirits to help guide me when I sat to journey. I've connected with Solomon and Naamah, but often found other spirits I do not know. I've had experience traveling to the middle world, and was practicing mediumship for a period. It was scary, but empowering. I haven't practiced as much due to lots of major life events, plus I don't have too much time to myself to have proper rituals. But, next time I get a chance, I will return to it. It brings me such peace and enlightenment to journey. It's always difficult and frightening because sometimes I can feel the doubt creep in. But, once I embrace the messages being sent to me, I feel blessed in ways that make me proud to be a witch!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

My general path for traveling is to go to my power-place, which is a natural setting I imagine and created based on my favorite mundane-world place to moonlight walk. It is reached from a descending stairway, to which I have now added an elevator-chair because I don't do stairs in my physical body any more. I should have added it years ago, it makes return ascent so-o easy. When the under-world is to be accessed, I added a cave under the stairs. Over-world, I gaze at the moon.

Every meditation or journey originates and returns to my place of power. I took the idea from author and hedge witch Rae Beth.
searching4truth

Post by searching4truth »

Hi AnaisStar,
My real journey started in September when I did my first sweat lodge but the communication with my Spirit allies and ancestors started as a young child.

I had.visions, messages and lucid dreams for decades but avoided learning more. Then a few months back I started my sweat and now I am working with a Shaman and Witch.

I meditate daily. My dreams are now nightly. The first week was of building sacred space. Then of psychical healing and now I am being shown wings that I am told can be attached to me.

Return to “Shamanism”