Do you reconsecrate tools after cleaning them?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Isis3Anubis

Do you reconsecrate tools after cleaning them?

Post by Isis3Anubis »

This may be a dumb question but every year I clean my tools/jewelry/altar cloths and then reconsecrate them. Is this normal or do I suffer from magickal OCD? Do others feel this is necessary. Also I have pillar candles that are almost half way worn down and discolored from use (the white candle is now grey and smutty) but I can bear to replace them with new ones until there totally used up. Do you think older altar candles are better, and would the leftover wax hold energy for future magic like wax images ect.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Do you reconsecrate tools after cleaning them?

Post by loona wynd »

I see no reason to not cleanse and consecrate your tools each year. For me I typically do it when I perform a rite of redeication as I am refocusing myself on my path and practices and as such it makes sense to rededicate my tools to the path as well.
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

I most definitely have to cleanse my crystals after I use them. I don't know if it's possible to overload a crystal but I find that if I'm using it to put my negative energy into, after a while it doesn't work so I have to cleanse it.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Any time that you interact with your tools, you are creating a stronger bond with them. Cleansing, consecrating and even reconsecrating them is another way to bond with them. Lots of things benefit from a cleansing, including our tools. Treat your tools well, and they will treat you well. :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Obsidian wrote:I most definitely have to cleanse my crystals after I use them. I don't know if it's possible to overload a crystal but I find that if I'm using it to put my negative energy into, after a while it doesn't work so I have to cleanse it.
I dont know about overloading a crystal, but I do think they can and will leave you when the time is right. I had a Hematite stone I carried with me at all times for grounding and centering. After about two years of carrying it, one day it fell out of my hand. I wasn't ever able to find it. I believe that the crystal had done its job for me and couldn't do any more. So perhaps that is what happens when crystals and gems overload?
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

Interesting ideas. Usually when I have a overused crystal that is not an expensive piece, I throw it into the sea or bury them in my garden as an offering. I placed a jade pendant after a breakup that brought me love, in a nature path where the marsh waters would sometime overlap. Months later the town built a beautiful bridge right over where I buried the jade Buddha pendant.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:Any time that you interact with your tools, you are creating a stronger bond with them. Cleansing, consecrating and even reconsecrating them is another way to bond with them. Lots of things benefit from a cleansing, including our tools. Treat your tools well, and they will treat you well. :)
I agree. My wand and I are starting to reconnect in use. I've been working with him a bit more than I used to. It's a him because its an oak tree and for me oak is masculine.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Depends on what you are doing to cleanse. Just dusting and polishing the brass, I’d say no need to re dedicate.

A full fumigation would be needed if the tools had been mishandled by another person or after exposure to creepy energies. An altar surface does benefit from occasional lemon water washing, re-oiling and re-dedicating if the work that has been done was strenuous and draining. Diluted lemon juice in water is a good re-invigorator.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”