tarot calling

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
tish

tarot calling

Post by tish »

i was once told that in order for you to be a certified tarot reader you'll have to experience a calling to be one. is this true?

i for one believe that i've had this much interest in tarot since grade school but never decided to buy one for myself. until my cousin gave me a tarot deck for christmas last year.

i haven't started using the cards to help friends instead i started with my own questions. i was afraid i might give them wrong interpretations.

please help me get started. what's the simplest way to read or interpret. i've read books on simple tarot but i'd rather get information from experienced readers.

thank you!
moonlit

Post by moonlit »

Lol I have never heard that... I mean then anyone could go around claiming to have had "a calling" lol

moonlit
**Nothing is set in stone**
tish

Post by tish »

really? so you think just anyone can go reading tarots?

i think it takes a lot of concentration to get good guidance for reading.
[Epothes]

Post by [Epothes] »

Well I'm not a very experienced tarot reader but I know you don't need "a calling" for it. Its most likely a bragging reader trying to keep good business by saying you have to be skilled. Its just like the programming business how we say its hard only to discourage people from taking our jobs. ^_^
~Epothes~
tish

Post by tish »

oooh ok. so i guess just anyone can read. hehe. i hope with a lot of practice i can do well with my readings.

help me when you can. :)
Bstnactrs

Post by Bstnactrs »

I agree. I have been reading tarot for years and years. I actually was doing it so often that at one point, I almost had all of the cards memorized and didn't have to refer to my book much.

What I found was this...if I knew the person that I was doing the reading for very, very well...I gave a great reading - really in depth...if I did not know them that well, the read was a little more general and mostly just based on the meanings of the cards.

I then bought a book that pretty much took all of the reader interpretation out of it and forgot all the meanings. I now have another book that I am working with that will hopefully allow me to try and memorize them again.

Anyone can do tarot card readings....I think the "calling" you may be referring to is probably a person's ability to read into the cards what isn't already apparent based on their meaning in whatever book you refer to.

Stasia
tish

Post by tish »

oooohhh i envy you. i read two books on tarot reading. i understand each card intepretations but when i connect them all it's kinda hard.

i thought it was easy. well i know it will take some time before i can get used to this.

:)
Arianna

Post by Arianna »

Where can I get these books, and what are they called.

Another question: My cards got sunscreen all over them because I was stupid and didn't pack them away from it... but the sunscreen was double bagged and wrapped... some ass just tossed my suitcase around and it got ALL OVER the cards, sticking em together. some kinda lost a bit of the lamenation when I peeled em apart.

Should I get a new deck, or work with this one still? It shuffles ok... though I haven't really tried a reading since then.
Bstnactrs

Post by Bstnactrs »

There are lots & lots of books about tarot reading / cards. Just go to Amazon.com & search tarot. I do not remember the exact names of my books but I can make a note of them when I get home if you like and respond back tomorrow.

Stasia
[scifichick]

Post by [scifichick] »

Another suggestion on the books - there are tons and tons of books available. Since I can't buy all of them, and I don't think it's necessary, I take the books from the local library. I go to library's website, and search for "tarot" (for example) as the subject. Then I go to Amazon and search for the book that is available at the library there. This way I can read what other people are saying about this book. This gives me an idea if I should read it or not. And library is free.
Only in silence the word,/ only in dark the light,/ only in dying life:/ bright the hawk's flight/ on the empty sky. --Le Guin
tish

Post by tish »

oh yeah there are lotsa lotsa books on tarot. although my deck came with the book. in the philippines there are books that are available at the local book stores. just search at the psychology/religion area or astrology area. it's often placed along with those books.

i think it doesn't matter how your deck looks like as long as you feel comfortable using it. i myself am an obssessive compulsive so i would rather get a new one and make sure that no one folds, crumples or mix it with whatever thing that spills.
fatalism

Post by fatalism »

Personally, I subscribe to the 'practise makes perfect' school instead of the 'gloom and doom fate' school of thinking. If you are interested and are willing to practise, then go for it.

I was given a pack of tarot cards by a guy who liked me back in 7th grade (how sweet of him...I wonder where he is now?), so no real calling. Later upgraded to the Thoth, especially since my parents really listen to my predictions.
"Nothing is True; Everything is Permitted"

Return to “Tarot Talk”