Dieting info you probably don't want to know.

Discussion of healing and energy work. (We have a new forum for Prayer Requests. It's down in the Member's Nook.)
Shekinah

Dieting info you probably don't want to know.

Post by Shekinah »

Over the years as we naturally become more sedentary and get into recreational feeding it is difficult for some of us to maintain a healthy weight. As an aviator I noticed my weight gain snuck up on me over the years and caused my aircraft to burn more fuel and have an increased takeoff and landing distance and a reduced range. An extra 30 pounds had quite a noticeable impact on aircraft performance.

Deciding to look more Witchy and less of a glutton I decided to reduce my calorie intake down to the assumed break even daily burn of 1500 calories. Over the course of a month nothing happened so I reduced my intake to 800 calories still nothing happened. Determined to break this stationary threshold I went down to 600 calories a day and low and behold the weight began to seriously drop off. I believe my body is so efficient and I am so sedentary that my break-even daily calorie burn is probably around 800 calories. That's disgusting and very difficult to maintain for the duration. I lift weights, walk at least one mile every morning and practice martial arts kata and still only burn 800 calories.

Another thing I discovered is by subsisting on a reduced calorie diet the body becomes even more efficient in an effort to conserve energy. What makes dieting so much more difficult is a social circle into recreational feeders. But all that being said I feel so much better at my new weight down from 210 to 180 and my blood pressure also is at the low median end of normal. As a Witch we should be an example of natural efficiency and moderation in all things and the spirits of Nature is much kinder to us when we make effort to comply.

I can splurge once a week with a 2000 calorie feast so long as I make up for it by a 600 calorie retribution the next day.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
bluejay_1919

Re: Dieting info you probably don't want to know.

Post by bluejay_1919 »

Very interesting. What exactly do you eat during the day on your new reduced calorie intake?
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

bluejay_1919 wrote:Very interesting. What exactly do you eat during the day on your new reduced calorie intake?
Breakfast is a cup of coffee and one boiled egg.
Lunch is a simple salad with olive oil and vinegar.
Dinner is one of the variety of "Healthy Choice" TV dinners 200 to 400 cal

This leaves cheat room for an occasional (devil made me do it) snack, fruit, beer, soda, carrot, jerkey etc. Very Important.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

You know what? I noticed sth simular and was really confused.
Beginning of the year I calculated the recommended cal. Intake for my weight size and activity level.
I started getting more active and the first two weeks weighed my food and typed it into an app.

My recommendation was more than 2.000cal - I decided to stick around 1.500/1.800 but my intake was actually between 800 and 1.200.
I didn't starve myself - I just ate until I was full and I was full with just that little (even though I read I was "starving myself" when only eating that little)

So something can't be right with the recommendation! I totally agree with you!
BB

Blue Moon
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Recommended intake is overly optimistic. Probably trying not to scare people. Actually I do not find my limited intake a problem at all I am not hungry and whatever I eat tastes so much better and I enjoy the frugal sacrament :-) (me Goddess be pleased) Forgot to add having far less bulk in my intestines, even though the salad is good fiber, it is a good idea to have a glass of prune juice every few days and increase water consumption.
Obviously it would be difficult to maintain this diet indefinitely so once your target weight is achieved you can ease up on the frugal calorie count and resume a normal moderate intake (1500 - 2000) but keep an eye on daily weight. I give myself a 5 pound window. When I creep up to the high end of that 5 pound gain I return to my frugal plan. In this way quality of life and dining enjoyment can be sustained while not allowing weight gain to become a problem.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I found that cutting my gluten and sugar intake by about 95% is helping me. I also found that I function better when I have sufficient animal protein in my diet. I tried having veggie protein smoothies for breakfast, but that left me feeling very run down. I embraced my inner feline, and started getting more animal protein.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Scarlet Woodland

Post by Scarlet Woodland »

Ugh I've found the same. I discovered after Christmas that I was a good 15lbs over my comfort weight and had a devil of a time losing it again. My recommended intake is just under 1800 but I didn't lose a thing till I cut right down to 600-700. I have shifted 8lbs but am currently on a break from the reduction diet, trying to figure out the correct, maintenance amount for my current weight. From what I can tell it's actually about 1200... nearly 600 less than it should be on paper.

I expected my cal requirements to drop a bit after 30 but not this much! As recently as 5 years ago I could have just done a bit more walking and the weight would have dropped off.

I'll be going back on the diet soon to drop another 6lbs or so; as while I am in the "healthy" range, I know my body and the weight just doesn't feel healthy on me. Have a sneaking suspicion some of that extra weight's sitting as fat around my organs and that's never good.

Edited to add: And yes a little digestive help is definitely needed with that low cal a diet. I went with a tropical flavoured aloe juice each day. I also had to reintroduce a little sugar after a few weeks, as having none in my diet sent me all peculiar. Was waking up at strange hours, getting headaches, feeling exhausted yet jittery. Half a spoon of sugar in tea twice a day was enough to sort me out.

Return to “Healing and Energy Work”