Symbols

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ashrend

Symbols

Post by Ashrend »

I'm realizing more and more that symbols in my magic are becoming more and more prevalent. My issue is I don't know how to find symbols to use. I'm researching runes to use but other than generic symbols I dont know what other symbols there are for me to learn I use. I want to learn a set of symbols like a second language to use to give my spells more power and meaning and direction. I'd like some suggestions on what to research or just any opinions at all.

May your heart be of a dragon and your mind of a fox.
RyukaAscendant

Re: Symbols

Post by RyukaAscendant »

You can go the route of runes which is effective, bit you can also use sigils if you look up how to make them on Google there are a few good sites. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll send you a couple links.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

Thank you thats really helpful, guna go study it all now

may your heart be of a dragon and your mind of a fox
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've been spending a lot of time on you tube lately. I really get hooked on the metal detecting and treasure hunting videos, but that's beside the point. There was one I saw on the significance of enclosing the sigil in a protective circle (like a cartouche containing the power of the Pharoh's name) versus not confing the sigil by a circle (examples were advertising logos). Corporate Logos that become known and recognized are a good example of popular modern uses of sigil magic.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

I did that by accident spirit talker, but it wasnt a circle. my sigil was surrounded by a repeat of 5 runes around the border of the page.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

That's a neat idea...using the signs themselves to form a circle. The hoodoo veve are a good example of not using a containing circle, to permit the outward flowing energy to move. The video talked about using the circle to concentrate power or to protect, pretty much the same ideas as casting a circle. The Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs are examples of symbols within circles, and also mandalas. These 2 repeat a symbol to make a circular and balanced design, working all the cardinal and astral directions. It's a really cool magical system.

Edit-and of course Solomon's Seal and it's like.
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

I like that il be researching that when iv got the time
Raevyn

Post by Raevyn »

RyukaAscendant wrote:You can go the route of runes which is effective, bit you can also use sigils if you look up how to make them on Google there are a few good sites. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll send you a couple links.
Please share some links here? I'm very interested to have a look at them (I currently have limited internet access so Google searches are not a option right now).
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

Silah wrote:
RyukaAscendant wrote:You can go the route of runes which is effective, bit you can also use sigils if you look up how to make them on Google there are a few good sites. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll send you a couple links.
Please share some links here? I'm very interested to have a look at them (I currently have limited internet access so Google searches are not a option right now).
http://neuromagick.com/sigils-and-seals

Above are the basics. But so far as I'm aware most sigils and seals are passive magic not requiring activation or anything but they work as long as they exist in contact with you or if it targets you.

If you are trying to target yourself and don't wish to carry the sigil or seal with you the following link is good for creating a personal astrological seal that will target it. Not all of the information is necessary but the more you can input the better the seal will be.

http://alabe.com/cgi-bin/chart/astrobot ... mit=Submit
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

The best symbols are the ones you create.
I made this one http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 31756.html
which is an Inconjunct bridging past and future with the assistance and acknowledgement of my ancestors.

Then I very poorly tattooed it on my own arm.
I'll get it tattooed over by a pro, but the root symbol needed to be put in my skin, by me, so I made the lines thin enough they can be gone over by someone better at it. I just have to fix one little bit where two lines don't meet up all the way. Don't want it to be incomplete when they go over it.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”