Therianthropy

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Wolf Heart

Therianthropy

Post by Wolf Heart »

I have visited many message boards for wiccans, vampires, and all sorts of otherkin. This message board is one of my favorites however I can't help but wonder if anyone else here has heard of Therians?

Therians is the thought that, to some, is you sharing your soul with another animal and so you take some of the charecteristics of that animal and also deals greatly in with phantom shifting and such. I believe, as does my best friend, that Therian is just the fact that in a past life you were an animal and now in your new life you have yet to let go of certain aspects of that animal. Such as feelings, thoughts, actions, or as I said before phantom shiftings.

I personally, as my name should impose, am a wolf therian. I have many reasons to believe this. Not just because I adore wolves and their behavoirs and such but because I feel a close connection with them and have had many expierences dealing with them. Not only do I often find myself feeling a predetory feeling wash over me but I have found myself growling when angered or I've felt threatened. I have had many a dreams where I am a wolf and it has been so clear when I wake up I can still smell the dying leaves of fall or some other such thing.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
Comus

Post by Comus »

I've never heard the term Therian, but the concept is familiar. Some furries or plushies (people with a stong sexual attraction to stuffed animals) have a totem animal, and some also report growling and similar behaviours. I'm not sure about the theory behind it all, but yeah, i think it's possible, the past life thing.
Idz qaala
Draconis

Post by Draconis »

i do believe in taht kind of thing, not heard the name Therian before nor have i heard of any otehr name to describe it, but i do believe in animal spirits and that in former lives we may have been an animal, i personally find my cloests connections to Dragons and Hawks, for as long as i can remember ive had a deep interest and admiration for dragons and Hawks becuase i see myself as a stonehawk, the reason for this is because i have sheilded myself off from people yet still wish to be free
All of lifes little problems can be solved by beating the buggers on the head with a broom.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

(Wow.... furries & plushies?? Ewwwww!)

*ahem*
Okay, yes- I've also not heard this term before (but I'd not be surprised to learn that it's a common one, I don't get out that often). :wink:

The concept, however, is something I'm more familiar with. Wolf Heart- have you ever considered the idea that you may have a Wolf astral familiar? (The main function of an astral familiar is to show you the characteristics you may need to be adopting at a certain time/situation or just in your life in general). Ordinarily though, you have to be in a state of meditation to find your astral familiar(s), but you never know- your connection to the wolf could stem from the need to adopt some of their characteristics in your personal life. You may want to read through my post here -It may help you stop feeling as though you are the wolf, and instead show you how to walk with the Wolf at your side.

~BB~
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

You miss my point here. It is not meant to say "I am a wolf" more instead that I may have been one in a past life, as that is very likely possible, and because I was so attached to that life and soul some of the charecteristics of it crossed over with me to my new life.
I have not heard much of the astral familiar, but I personally wouldn't adapt to it because I'm very weak on astral aspects of magick. I believe in therians and the concept behind them. That is only my belief.

~Wolf Heart~
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

Yes, I have heard of this, mainly because I am a therian as well.

and Comus....please.....Furries and plushophiles are not the same thing. Now prepare for a long read.

The Furry you are refering to is more than likely the Furry Lifestyler

from wikipedia
A furry lifestyler is generally considered to be a person who has one or more of these characteristics:

-Integrating a perceived animal nature into one's persona (gait, use of voice, personality, instincts, etc.)
-Totemistic beliefs, specifically with regard to animal spirits
-A belief that animal instincts exist within humans, regardless of whether they are separate, immaterial spirits, part of the genetic code, caused by reincarnation from a previous animal life, or anything else
-A furry lifestyler may also take on physical attributes of an animal, although this is rare. Such attributes may be: hair style (including facial hair), tattoos, articles of clothing (e.g. a tail or ears), or jewelry. In a few extreme cases, some wealthy lifestylers have used elective surgery to effect a physical transformation.

Furry lifestylers generally refer to themselves as furries or furs, although this term is not exclusive to them. Also, some people who might reasonably call themselves furry lifestylers choose not to do so for various reasons, including a desire not to be associated with the term. (For example, a related community, the "were" or "therian" community, shares similar beliefs with the furry lifestylers but wishes to distance themselves from the furry fandom.)

Personal note from Wolf: This also means that just because someone is a Furry, does not mean they are a Therian/Otherkin, and vice versa. It does happen frequently that many are both, but it is not a concrete fact that just because you are one, does not mean you are the other.
The same goes for plushophiles, JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE A FURRY DOESN'T MEAN YOU f*ck STUFFED ANIMALS!

We furries are a defensive lot when it comes to things like that. And for those wondering and think about furries deluding themselves about being otherkin, and if I am the same, I actually came across the world of furries some time after my therian awakening.

and if you don't now what a furry is when not talking about the people,here is an average female furry, a white tigress to be exact:

for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherkin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_lifestyler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therianthropy

okay, end rant.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
Draconis

Post by Draconis »

another thing about animal spirits is spirit guardians and guides, the ones you may have contact with my take the form of a craeture that you may have been in a previous life, personally my spirit guide is a Hawk made of Stone, once free but now bound to the mortal world, i do believe i was a hawk in a past life
All of lifes little problems can be solved by beating the buggers on the head with a broom.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Well, I have now been taught in the ways of the furry lifestyler. Thank you wolf.
:shock:
(Last time I heard about this, it was a fetish television program on HBO, I think....)

Wolf Heart, I wasn't trying to state that you think you are a wolf, that would be rather absurd, you are obviously human. What I meant was that you see similarities with the creature and feel a connection to him; it could be more than what you are thinking. If you don't want to get into astral meditation and familiars and such, that's totally your prerogative. Just trying to give you a different perspective, that's all.

~BB~
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

Thank you Moon Stone, I understand your point in giving your outlook on things. As with all religions people have their own ways of seeing and defining things.

I think I shall at least look up some info on the astral aspect of magick.

~Wolf Heart~

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”