Herb of the Month - Rue

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
hedge*

Herb of the Month - Rue

Post by hedge* »

Rue ( Ruta graveolens )

Whilst chatting on the forum with Kirsten about this Plant I realised that I didn’t know it at all well so I thought I’d learn something along with you all for this month.
Kirsten informed me that in South America it is a common practice for people to have a male and female of this Plant outside their front door to expell negative energy.
Rue is a strongly aromatic Plant which a lot of people don’t particularly like, however I adore this Plant and its smell and I’m enjoying the wonderful display of Flowers on my Plant at the moment.

Medicinal Properties

• Emmenagogue
• Oxytocic
• Vermifuge
• Abortifacient

Rue is chiefly used to encourage the onset of menstruation. It stimulates the muscles of the uterus and promotes menstrual flow. It has also been used to treat conditons as varied as hysteria, epilepsy, vertigo, colic, intestinal worms and eye problems. Rue can also be made into an ointment for external use against gout, arthritis, rheumatism and neuralgia.It is rarely used in Herbal medicines today for reasons I’m not too sure on so if anyone can throw some light on that I’d appreciate it.
It’s most common use today is as an eye wash for the treatment of tired and sore eyes, and reputedly improves the eyesight.

CAUTIONS:

Rue is toxic in excess. NEVER take during pregnancy.
The fresh Plant frequently causes dermatitis, so wear gloves while handling it. Taken internally Rue may cause an allergic skin reaction to sunlight.
[aphrodite]

Post by [aphrodite] »

Thanks for sharing that information Hedge I always like to learn more about different plants. I don't know much, but I'm learning. slowly.

blessed be
APHRODITE
XXX
N.R. Naiacinaed

Post by N.R. Naiacinaed »

Thanks, Hedge. I never heard of this herb before today. I love learning new things..And I've always wanted to learn more about herbs, so this is excellent. Thanks again. =)

~*Ashley*~
[Kristin]

More about Rue

Post by [Kristin] »

This plant is starting to be an obsession but if you google Rue Plant you will find all kinds of historical information about it.
One web page I liked: http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/rutagraveolens.htm

I had no idea that the Rue plant is responsible for the Clubs in a deck of cards!!!

I had no idea that Shakespeare referred to Rue in his works!!!

The more I read, the more fascinated I am. What I believe now about this Chilean male/female belief is that there must be at least 2 varieties here. They believe one is male and the other female.
Anyway, happy reading! There is alot out there about this plant.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”