Help spread the word!!

If you have a suggestion or comment about the board you can share it here.
supremz

Re: Help spread the word!!

Post by supremz »

I suppose we will just have to settle on the fact that we are of different opinions, because neither of us really has a point. I mean, either it's okay to change it or it's not, but the decision isn't dictated by what is popular, but by the Webmistress' personal desires. A privately owned website is not like facebook or amazon that have to be marketed to the masses for profit to stay afloat.

The mods approached me about how to keep this site alive, and considered advertising like you did, but this was my idea. Keep in mind it costs money to promote anything, and that doesn't always work. I don't see what's wrong with telling your friends if they're interested and spreading it from the inside instead of getting a bunch of strangers to register from without when they otherwise wouldn't.

You mentioned Reddit, but you have to keep in mind that place is a mess and requires heavy moderation just for it to function properly, and many unpopular ideas are often censored by their staff. I like how laid back and tight-knit this place is. It lacks the infrastructure to become that big, and that would cause it to grow too fast.

Must everything be a part of this capitalistic cesspool of online amalgamation? Why can't just one site be left alone? It just seems like the appeal you are advocating is artificial and short-lived.

I don't think we will ever reach a conclusion here, but treating this website like it should be marketed as someone else's property just betrays the principle behind it and kinda sucks the life force out of its very entity, but again, it is for others to decide, not me. Perhaps Starwitch can weigh in so I'm not speaking for others by expressing my own beliefs?
Silent Ponny

Post by Silent Ponny »

I am not saying that we need reddit page. I was telling you that reddit is one type of forum, but a specific one.

I don't have friends who have interest in paganism, sadly.
May God have mercy on my enemies because I won't
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Any community requires participation - investment - and that is the price of community.

Site owners and moderators can only do so much, they are there to bank the flow, not create the flow - though more and more they find themselves in a position that they have to encourage or spur content. To do all the paddling.

After a while paddling becomes tiring. Later it becomes tiresome. When your investment outweighs others you begin to invest your time and effort elsewhere or resign yourself to it being exhausted in pursuits that drain rather then energise you.

Truth is, no matter how large a forum, we see it though a distorted lens (especially if new to the experience) - what appears content heavy is the weight of years, the culmination of postings not a steady current. The second distortion is that it's the same small (relative to the members / viewers) cadre of posters. When you look at a post, note the date and note the poster and you will see this is generally the case.

In this way discord wins (and loses). The stream of communication is pretty current however the ability to delve into, recall and comment on things that rouse your interest have flowed onward before the time you can consider them and craft a well measured reply. It's not an easy medium to recall past information. It's fast-food. It's hot but lacks nourishment.

A medium that can do both fluidly? I don't know. Is it reddit? I doubt it. It's certainly not social media.

The pagan web diminishes. Solitaires endure.

Bb
supremz

Post by supremz »

Very insightful observation, Corbin!! :fairy:
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

It occurs to me there may be a medium that combines presentation elements (the solid forum) and audience chatter or q&a side-by-side? Though this sounds more like a varient of a modern online teaching platform.
supremz

Post by supremz »

That is why I suggested the members of this site talking on discord, but without having to combine the two. Just talk about stuff that has to do with the same themes that you can here and then people will want to post more, naturally. Let the tree's flowers bloom. loveface
Silent Ponny

Post by Silent Ponny »

supremz wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:04 pm That is why I suggested the members of this site talking on discord, but without having to combine the two. Just talk about stuff that has to do with the same themes that you can here and then people will want to post more, naturally. Let the tree's flowers bloom. loveface
I suggested same, not popular opinion here. :P
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

The problem with all such ideas is being the ones running and maintaining them.

Setting up and running a small/private discord site isn't difficult however succesfully moderating and running an expanding and more public discord site requires a thorough understanding of all the new 'knobs and dials' (for there are more then a few) and it's even more active / 'hands on' moderating than a forum, because arguments can escalate and are easy to miss / very hard to 'nip in the bud'.

It requires a full time mod / tech.

With a forum, If a mod is breezing though more then a couple of times a day to ensure there's no 'trouble at the mill' it's WORK. With discord, getting pinged all the time and needing to trawl backward though conversations and change settings / implement restrictions / adjust those 'knobs and dials' is a JOB.

Trolls love discord (without irony), it's custom designed for 'hit and run' tactcs.
supremz

Post by supremz »

Why would voice chat require moderation? Just talk to people and if you don't like what someone is saying then go offline. It's not complicated. Just to clarify, I was saying people should discuss EUTM on a server like discord, not replace the site outright like a lot of people are saying. More people will register if they are told to post here.
Silent Ponny

Post by Silent Ponny »

supremz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:26 pm Why would voice chat require moderation? Just talk to people and if you don't like what someone is saying then go offline. It's not complicated. Just to clarify, I was saying people should discuss EUTM on a server like discord, not replace the site outright like a lot of people are saying. More people will register if they are told to post here.
After all, a lot of information can be found here.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I was thinking of discord fast-text, forgetting about voice and video chat functions. I think unless you schedule a particular time or subject these could dry up mid-flow very easily. I've even seen forums with these facilities that were never used and therfore shelved (In fact, I'm sure this forum was one of them, with Fast text ????).

Besides every step pushes a comfort (and sadly in this day and age) safety zone<<<<<

[remembering the relatively low age limit rule for forum posting, 13yrs].

>>>>>That means some form of adult and responsible oversight / moderation to be vigilant to some of the darker sides of the Internet, as discussed under several post headings in: EUTM Rules and Announcements.

The Zonal Steps: Lurking>Registering>Forum discussion posting>[Direct Mail]>Fast Text>Audio Chat>Video Conference>Moots/Gatherings.

Most people who use audio/visual discord facilities use them while gaming (in one place already occupied by one thing - often the game they are collectively playing).

Return to “Suggestions/Comments”