Samhain: Information and Ideas

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Samhain: Information and Ideas

Post by Firebird »

Ha ha ha :lol: It was quiet! We were 7 altogether and with a ton of food! It was fun and funny trying to negotiate the kitchen buffet, signaling to others for scoop of this or a spoonful of that or to cut a slice of the beast and pass it this way. And with one collision that shot a chicken leg across the room. Once setted in for dinner, it was sort of akward, as it can be ...one is so tempted to speak. Clinking glasses and smiling a lot was the main interaction in this world, the but after the silence was broken it was fun to recount the messages received from beyond. Also a few of us noticed a distinct energy in the southwest side of the room, and I wondered about the woman who I knew had passed away in that very area in 2001.

The ritual was real nice too and the weather Gods provided us with fine weather and drifty clouds.
As part of the journey I had set up a large black skrying mirror in our life sized coffin, and a hut all covered in black cloth to represent an underground cave. Folks were ferryed over to the coffin and then blindfolded to go into the hut. There one could release (or bury) the issue that prevented them from living their true life. Upon exit one was presented with an orange rose with a blessing for the new you and the New Year. A friend played the guitar and we sang All Among the Barley (modified to work for October!) and Shaking of the sheets.
After we hung out around the firepit outside, it was actually rather humid which is highy unusal for this time of year.
Today a couple of us went down to the creek and did a ceremony. Tomorrow we will hike out to the sacred hill for and ancestor ritual.

Many blessings for a transformative Hallows,
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

The mirror was removed and the corpse now resides
Hunter and hunted are but one
Hunter and hunted are but one
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Star_Priestess

Post by Star_Priestess »

This year, I made a really nice beef stew, then left it on the patio along with a burning black votive candle in a lantern, an apple and burning sage for the ghosts that roam after sunset. Along with the standard dressing up and giving out candy to kids.

I like the idea of a Dumb Supper. I don't have the room for something like that, but when I do I'll try that.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

About time for me to get started on my Yule post!!
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

It's almost here!
What will you all be doing for Samhain?

― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Apple n cinnamon.

Got so many ghosts around.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

ummm, yummy :)
I had a grand amount of fun scaring the little children. We had about 150 trick or treaters this year, that was great considering last year there was like 2, maybe 3. But it's down from other years which is usually around 350. It was getting to the point candy was nearly 50 bucks worth. I guess I could get crappy candy, but chocolates are better!
Now for a tarot reading :flyingwitch:
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

This year 10/31/2021 gives 10 which is wheel of fortune or Sun+Pluto numbers. How would you interpret tarot card like that? I guess the stage of interpretation lasts until Imbolc?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I would think it would represent the dark quarter,? which we just stepped into at Samhain. So the sun return ay Imbolc sounds right.
Blessed New Year!
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Ay, Imbolc sounding right
Time is dark,hold on tight!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Checking in on all you witches!
Are you geared up for the Holiday? :flyingwitch:
Have your Dumbsupper table set?, have you visited the cemetery yet?. got all the decor you can get?
Our members have some good stuff here read on through for your Halloween pleasure. Smoogies first post in this thread is great. viewtopic.php?p=255654#p255654
Elsewhere in the forum we have Samhain related goodies, use the search tool and get acquainted with the many topics on the Samhain season.

Here's a few for fun:
FOOD RELATED: viewtopic.php?t=31568 (Pumpkin season is coming)
VIDEOS to get you in the MOOD! viewtopic.php?p=298807&hilit=samhain#p298807 (Halloween 2022) (much thanks to Nerys for putting together :fairy: )
A SPELL for the Season viewtopic.php?p=297886#p297886 (ANCESTOR CONNECTION SPELL/AND READING) stirred up for you by forum members.
and
Some comedy? viewtopic.php?t=39479 photo of Ossium

May your Samhain Blessed Be
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Samhain is a time for Storytelling?

Summers End (Written 30/10/2016)

Jenny sat below the shadows of the old bluff, beyond the scrub, lying hidden by the dunes and settled in, mutely watching Lily; watching the sea. It was a warm night with the gentlest of breezes and the common coastal fog, usually deep and rich at night, rolled off the sea, a little mistier … less opaque.

Lily was like a big sister to Jenny, delightful and kind, yet she had always had a mystery to her. A quiet calm. She had secrets.

Jenny strained to see what Lily was looking for, out to the lapping black sea and then she saw them and stifled a gasp. Little boats. Many of them, lit by the wan moonlight among the panorama of gentle crests. All sailing past. Not an oar stroke among them yet she could make out figures …. People … and almost imperceptible at first, the muted sound of anguish. Something about Its stifling almost made it more tragic; an oppressive lament. Yet while some wept, some stood and stared out desperately, in all directions yet seemingly blind to the safety of the coastal bay. Jenny watched as Lily lit her lantern and held it before her, watched as the tiny flickered light wavered vainly.

Nobody saw it; nobody came.

-------------------

Jenny couldn’t stay away after that night. Alone she visited the shoreline but assuredly the fog was too heavy for the tiny light she brought with her to make even a dint in it. No wood for a fire to hand ... yet they were there … these sad forlorn castaways, she knew, she could feel them, feel their pain carried on the waves.

Why did they suffer so? Why were they blind to the light? Why could she not reach them?

She sat there, so wrapped up in those heavy thoughts she didn’t notice Lily settle down on the dune beside her, and cock her head enquiringly with the ghost of a smile on her lips, concerned affection in her eyes.

“It’s hard isn’t it? Just knowing they suffer”.

With moist eyes, Jenny replied “Who are they Lily? Why do they suffer? I shout out but they can’t hear me?”

“They are the lost my darling … they can’t find their way”

“Their way?”

“Onward … because their grief holds them … because they can’t see the light”.

Jenny smiled through her tears “but you still keep trying?”.

“Yes my dove, always”.

That was so like Lily, never the quitter, her compassion would never allow it.

So each night, careless of the lateness, the two would wander down to light their little lanterns in the dark, though the fog conspired against them, two lanterns shone out in the darkness. People began to remark on it; it was a remarkable thing.

But nobody saw it; nobody came.

----------------------

The festival of Summer's end was always popular. People would gather together as a community from all over and celebrate the passing of the old and the birth of the new. Far too much fine food and spirit was consumed, the dancing a little too raucous, the music wild like a ragged heartbeat … carrying with it a joy from the old times, far too undiluted to be stoppered. Jenny and Lily enjoyed it immensely, yet as the night grew on and the festivity became more languid … settled in … Lily and Jenny, hand in hand, slipped away to the coast, as they did every night.

Yet such a night! The mist was but a wisp and a bright moon! The boats were so clear that Jenny could make out faces … Daughters, mothers, fathers and sons … and some of the weeping was more drawn; hushed whispers … the yearning searching seemingly more hopeful, more keen.

Recognising this, the girls lanterns were frantically lit and waved desperately, with such hope! Voices raised “We are here!”, “Come in!” … “You have found us!”

But still, nobody saw the light … nobody came.

Jenny and Lily felt crushed and slumped, dropped to the ground, holding each other tightly on the grainy sand ... feeling so very tired, so very defeated.

What was the point?

Yet as they wept on the shoreline they became aware of a presence, then they noticed them, the revellers, the festival crowd. They had followed them, with unlit lanterns, some with tallow candles and oiled torches, some grasping handfuls of kindling and wood.

They saw the boats. They began too to yell and greet, lighting their candles, lanterns, torches … building a fire … leaping and hollering in the light, creating shifting spectacles of light and shadow, far too bright to be extinguished, far too bright to be mistaken or missed.

Among the boats little lights began to appear, desperate replies carried on the wind. Many of the boats began to turn toward them, yet some others seemed to fade away into the darkness. Not in a dramatic way; one minute they were there, the next they were gone.

With tears in her eyes, of both joy and sadness, Jenny turned to Lily and said “They’re coming in! The lost. But some have vanished Lily! Oh where have they gone?”

“Calm sister, they’ve gone back to their lives … the lives we left behind .... they have taken our light back with them. They found us”.

As the boats turned towards the coast, kindly winds obliged them and carried them forth. Toward the light.

Daughters, mothers, fathers and sons.

For they saw it; and they came.

------------------

This Samhain, however you should mark it, honour the dead by reaching out to the living. To those left behind who suffer, those whose grief holds them lost yet among us.

Samhain Blessings x
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh, thank you Corbin, that was really good, grief is so weird, my half bro is suffering terribly.

Getting ready for tonight!
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
supremz

Post by supremz »

Happy Samhain, everyone!!!

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”