Teenage Frustration!!!!!

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Hollerdoller

Teenage Frustration!!!!!

Post by Hollerdoller »

More of a rant than anything else, but maybe some young person will read this and maybe take a second to think on it.

I have been a practicing hearth witch for just about 2 decades, and while I believe that one never stops learning, I am also confident in my ideals and beliefs. My family is also aware of my practices and for the most part are accepting and even inclusive and curious.
This summer my niece (16) decided that she was going to become a wiccan/pagan/witch, partly because her bff is, and partly to tick off her conservative christian mom.
she came to me and started asking me questions. That was great! till she started telling me that I was WRONG. That my way wasn't the RIGHT way. Lets just say I was less than impressed.

This isn't the first time I have run into this either! I have had quite a few new/young practitioners ask me for advice, then tell me I'm wrong because my ideals didn't line up with theirs. They don't realize that IT DOESN'T BLOODY HAVE TO!!!!!!!!! My beliefs and practices are just that, MINE! and I would understand it if I was giving unsolicited advice, but these are people who have come to ME asking. As far as my niece goes, we had a good loooooooong talk about how to not judge or critique someone when you have no idea what end of the book to start at, and they have 17+ years of study and practice under their belt.
You don't have to agree with them, but you damned well can't tell them they're wrong, especially after asking them about it!!! What is right for one person can be wrong for another and we all have to find that path ourselves.

Moral of the Rant:
If you ask someone about something, and don't get the answer you want/expect, you don't have to do it their way, but just don't be a dick!
Do no harm, but take no shit :evilwitch:
JahaRa

Re: Teenage Frustration!!!!!

Post by JahaRa »

I totally get your rant. I have had a similar one when I was working in a company that hired a bunch of young programmers that thought their degree made them more knowledgable than those of us who had been working as programmers for 30+ years. I can't say it is something new, though, as I remember in college having to waste time listening to students argue with the professor about things they didn't know but thought they did. Your neice is lucky to have you explain to her about attitudes.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

It kinda cracks me up the young ones who have been practicing like "forever" and suddenly they're an expert.
Try not to let it frazzle you, and simply tell her to refrain from telling you that you are wrong, but rather "different" than what she might be reading or practicing. We all have our ways and what works is what works.
Next time she comes sniffing for advice, give her some sort of magical riddle and tell her to report back in a year and a day, or a season with the answer, then we'll see how really serious she is.
bb. F.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
supremz

Post by supremz »

Cast blame aside lest ye suffer the same fate in turn...

From my experience, it is all age groups that have that ego attitude like they know better, as every stage in life has its wisdoms. I think it's just a personality quirk that some refuse to iron out through maturity, but the sectarian nonsense is definitely more common among the young (they think they've stumbled onto some forbidden secret), while the old believe their mileage gives them a bit of authority, which sounds more like what you're wrestling with.

I think in the end, it is an erroneous attitude, but as humans and creations of Nature, we can't help but make mistakes every now and then. That's the mentality you should have, if you can achieve it. Blessed be!!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

supremz wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:15 pm I think in the end, it is an erroneous attitude, but as humans and creations of Nature, we can't help but make mistakes every now and then.
It's true, we all make mistakes, but everyone is entitled to their feelings and attitudes, whatever they are.
As part of our journey, we discover what attitudes serve us and which ones may cause ourselves or others emotional turmoil. We all have wisdom; we just need to know when and where and how the best ways to use it is.
bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
creativemind243

Post by creativemind243 »

I think with the rise of things like ‘witchtok’ (aka the witchcraft side of Tiktok) and ‘witchstagram’ (witchy side of instagram), there is so much misinformation that is being spread. Did you hear about how they ‘cursed the moon’? 🤦🏼‍♀️ I agree with you though, I don’t believe there’s a right or wrong way to practice; the problem lies with all the misinformation the young ones are being fed in these online spaces. The best we can do is try to correct it, and when the time comes, let them figure things out for themselves. I am sorry you are frustrated though!
There is a battle of two wolves inside us; one is evil, It is jealousy, greed, and lies. The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, kindness, and truth. The one that wins?
The one you feed.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Why on Earth would anyone want to curse the Moon?
wtf, people are just unglued anymore.
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Anubisa
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by Anubisa »

What the hell? Curse the moon? Are they on drugs? Some people are just stupid.
Anubisa

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”