finally starting to garden (suggestions pls)

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
líriobranco

finally starting to garden (suggestions pls)

Post by líriobranco »

Finally, I have gathered the time, space, and tools over the past month to begin my garden. I'm so excited!😊😊🌱

So far we (I live with my parents and they are also interested in cultivating) have quite a variety. The herbs so far consist of basil, mint, thyme, sage, oregano, and chive. I've also planted broccoli, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, and zucchini.
For this month I plan on planting some flowers besides herbs and vegetables, as my uncle gifted my parents with bees!
We already have a couple of flowers around, more for their aesthetic, but I want to plant a bigger variety that this particular species like.

I must confess that I'm a little lost over what I should prioritize, and what plants and herbs are more essential or versatile. I am reading posts here but for further insight If anyone has any suggestions I would absolutely love to receive them!🥰

obs: It's summer right now here where I live, and my region is very sunny and rainy.
love as always, líriobranco :flyingwitch:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: finally starting to garden (suggestions pls)

Post by Firebird »

Hi! how exciting!
One flower that is helpful in the garden is marigolds (spp. Tagetes) they nourish the earth and are good companion plants for tomatoes. Lavendar is great for attracting the bees. Monarda is also good for bees, but I personally wasn't successful at growing it. Sunflowers are fun, especially the heirloom varieties. Artichokes make great flowers that you can dry for floral decorations in the fall, they take a lot of room so make sure you make plenty of space between the plants.
This year I had an unexpected field of cosmos, which were really pretty, and the bees were all over them, but these plants were escapees that sort of took over the garden because I wasn't able to tend it this year.
As far as essential I would say lavendar, sunflowers and marigolds (Tagetes).
Pot marigold (Calendula) is good too and can be used for treatment of skin issues.
Marigold (tagetes) and marigold (calendula) are often confused for each other, but they look quite different, and smell completly different, and to tell you the truth I'm not even sure tagetes have a medicinal application, but they are fantastic for the earth!
Let us know what you end up planting!
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
líriobranco

Post by líriobranco »

Thank you so so much for the recommendations! Ando for sharing all the knowledge as well! 😊☺️
I'll definitely try to get them all this month or next!!
Marigolds (tegentes) are tricky since my mom dislikes their smell.
I wasn't familiar with monarda, but I loved the way they look, especially the red ones. The bees will be very happy, I will also try to get some jasmine!
Lavender (how could I forget) is such a must, so versatile and I would love to experiment with it in the kitchen and candle making.
I tried to care for a sunflower that I got for my birthday one year, but I wasn't very successful 😅... but maybe this time around I'll do better.
Artichokes would be ready just in time for fall, but I don't think I'll be able to find them, they are not very popular around here unfortunately.
A field of cosmos, despite the troubles of taking over your garden I can picture how pretty it was! Cosmos are stunning, they have such beautiful colors.
I'll update once I have gathered and planted them for sure! 💛
love as always, líriobranco :flyingwitch:
RavenClaw

Post by RavenClaw »

I don't know if you want rosehips. If you do, any rugosa rose shrub produces good size ones and bees love the flowers. The only thing about the rose is that a bug gets into the flower buds and wreck the flowers. That means to cut off all the flowers and flower buds. Do not compost it as that can encourage those bugs. The rose reblooms then I let it make rosehips which can be dried or make jam out of it.
Knowledge without understanding is not wisdom. (An excerpt from a message I channeled from a Deity.)

Return to “Gardening”