For Everyone in Ireland and the UK Tonight

If you'd like to share a spell or ritual or start your own online Book of Shadows, feel free to do so here.
DesktopHippie

For Everyone in Ireland and the UK Tonight

Post by DesktopHippie »

A chant to help protect from storms. Stay safe tonight!

Lord of Thunder and Sky
Be kind to us, Be kind to us
Let no harm come of this storm

Lady of Darkness and Rain
Be kind to us, Be kind to us
Let no harm come of this storm
Solitary_Wiccan

Post by Solitary_Wiccan »

Thanks for the chant, we definitely need that lately... :)
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Storms wash away the old and bring change.Metaphorically and physically.I know this must seem harsh if you are in the South,but we get Gales at this time of year,here,it's not unusual for us.Why seek to change the forces of nature? Isn't that a little 'arrogant',not in keeping with Earth based religion?[If you're not Wiccan or 'Earth'based, I guess that won't apply] I'm curious.What if you divert' harm from where you are and it smacks down worse somewhere else,dosen't that also violate certain ethics?Have you thought this through?
DesktopHippie

Post by DesktopHippie »

I've nothing against storms, and I understand they're part of the natural cycle.

However, tonight one of the biggest storms in history, an absolutely massive, explosive storm, is going to bring strong gales and flooding to large parts of Ireland and the UK. This isn't a normal storm for this part of the world. It's a weather event that is likely to cause property damage and loss of life.

Letting it roar on through without asking the forces of nature to look kindly on anyone caught in the maelstrom seems pretty stupid to me. Heck, requesting that the forces of nature be kind to us with *any* storm doesn't seem like stretch. It *is* up to them if they decide to be cruel to be kind :P

How would you modify it to fit with your beliefs? Change the bit about no harm maybe? Storms do kinda have to be destructive... but then I don't see destruction as the same as harmful. Harm has a different context in my mind. Is that where we differ maybe?
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

The difference is I don't try to interfere with weather at all.Asking a storm to do 'no harm' is like asking the Sun not to shine.I don't believe it is possible to 'do no harm',actions have consquences,what benefits one person is often to the detriment of someone else,somewhere else.The forecast is 80 mph winds,that is not absolutely massive.It is gale force but again that is not unusual for March in the UK.Perhaps those government approved house builders in England should have not built on flood plains after all,it seems that is why the home counties are panicking now.Don't you think it's more than a little 'nanny state' madness,to issue warnings for folk not to go to the seaside to watch 'waves crashing' - in case they get 'swept away' ? - that seems like a 'no shit Sherlock' moment to me.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Desktophippie's intent was well meant.
:wink:

I'm sure there are plenty of our UK members who appreciated her thoughts.
It certainly wasn't interfering with weather.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Casting a chant or spell on a storm is attempting to interfere with the weather.Personally, I think it's a waste of energy doing that,anyway,it's unlikely to succeed unless a lot of power gets raised.But,If such a spell was to be successful, it may well worsen effects elsewhere.I feel the point I made on this is valid.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Eretik wrote:Casting a chant or spell on a storm is attempting to interfere with the weather.
The chant that desktophippie posted was just that - a chant.
If someone could control the weather, and I don't for one minute believe any human can, then a chant would not be enough to do so.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Chanting

The continuous recitation of mantras. It is used in meditation and religious or ritual ceremonies. Some call chanting a primitive way of altering the consciousness and raising psychic power or energy. Others claim it connects them with the Divine. The derived psychical powers may be used for purposes of magic, exorcism and healing.

Chanting, which is an ancient and universal practice, is usually done in accompaniment of drumming, hand-clapping, rattles and sometimes the use of other musical instruments. Such activities provide the emotional excitation to increase psychic power to a very intense level. This is especially true when chanting is done within a group. Sometimes the excitement builds so high that frenzied states of consciousness occur.

The practice is recorded to have occurred in Greece. Female sorcerers are said to have howled their chants. Like others they believed strong vibrations enhanced the power of their chants. This beliefs was continued by early and medieval sorcerers and magicians who sang their chants in very forceful voices. The belief was continued into the 20th century by men like Aleister Crowley who believed the chanting sound can profoundly affect both man and the universe.

When chanting is used in meditation is frequently accompanied by the use of rosary beads which are employed in Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, and Christianity.

Chants are composed of names, words and syllables, including nonsensical ones. The name of God, and the gods, are almost universally considered to make the strongest chants. This was true among the Hebrew mystics and magicians who used the secret names of God such as Yahweh, Adonai and Elohim. (See: Law of Names)

According to the Vedic scriptures the chanting of the name of the Lord is the one way to increase spiritual progress in the Kali Yuga age of quarrel and hypocrisy that begun five thousand years ago and is suppose to continue for 432,000 years.

Various chants in Hinduism and Buddhism use Om, which represent the Brahman.

Followers of Islam chant the ninety-nine names of Allah called "the Beautiful Names."

Diadochus of Photice recommended the chanting of the name of Jesus in prayer for Christians during the fifth century. John Climacus followed this in the seventh century. Their contributions became the "Jesus Prayer," or "Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me."

Included in Christian chants are four Western forms, the Gregorian, Gallican, Mozarabic, and Ambrosian; three Eastern forms, the Byzantine (see: Hesychasm), Syrian, and Armenian; and the Coptic and Ethiopian chants of northern Africa. Jewish chants are composed of Biblical texts.

Chants of modern witches and many Neo-pagans consist of names of the Goddess and Horned God plus names of other pagan deities. The objective of these chants is to achieved an altered state of consciousness and create psychic energy as in the cone of power. Chants also are done for magical purposes.

Chants or mantras are greatly revered in shamanism.

Native Americans also observe chanting in preparation for activities and ceremonies such as healing, hunting, battles, controlling weather, rites of initiations and funerals.

The Navajos put great emphasis on curative chants which are interwoven with myths telling how the deities or supernatural beings first performed the chants which exemplify how the chants still should be performed. The chanters must chant the prescribed texts correctly, else they will be stricken will the disease which the chant was to nullify. Chants can continue for many days. A chanter is assisted by helpers who are paid for their work. If a chanter of reputation makes no mistakes, but fails to cure the diseased person or persons, then witchcraft is usually blamed. The disease is said to have been caused be a witch's spell, and only the Evil Way chants can eliminate it. Also the Navajo chanter are careful not to use any chant more than three times a year, or they might get the illness which they cure. A.G.H.

----------------------------------------

Taken from TheMystica, I Rune sing [Galdr] it is powerful chanting incantation/intonation and not 'just' a chant.Christians certainly believed in it's efficacy, so much so that the wealthy paid for monks to chant 'in perpetuum' for the repose of their souls.paying for the privelege with lots of gold.If enough people participate with strong intent chanting is a powerful way to raise an energy spiral/cone of power.
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

hummm you both make good points, but I read the "chant" as more of a protective prayer rather than to control the weather.
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

It is my opinion,that a protective prayer should be worded on personal/local terms.Akin to 'let the storm do no harm here/to me/to my family/home' Wording as well as intent are very important in definition,magickally/ritually.Note I said my opinion,but it is something which I feel is a very important distinction/consideration.I chant Galdr,it is an active magickal practice in my tradition and it is more than prayer alone,much more.

"An incantation is the words spoken during a ritual, either a hymn or prayer invoking or praising a deity, or in magic, occultism, witchcraft with the intention of casting a spell or an object or a person. The term derives from Latin incantare (tr.), meaning "to chant (a magical spell) upon," from in- "into, upon" and cantare "to sing".

Enchant

Enchantment
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Chanting in itself isn't enough to bring about change in conformity to will. That is ludicrous. If that was the case you'd have every child in the playground playing skipping and clapping games causing great calamities.

In fact chanting's not even a prerequisite to spell casting. I know many witches who don't even chant when performing magick.

I'm not saying I don't comprehend and recognise the importance of the power of chanting - I do.
What I'm saying is this; desktophippies original post was meant as a well intentioned kind thought. I took it as that.
Solitary_Wiccan

Post by Solitary_Wiccan »

As did I, she was merely concerned for the wellbeing of others and posted her chant to "protect from storms" and to "Stay safe tonight!" not to "command the weather and turn it on others!"

Ludicrous.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

"Chanting in itself isn't enough to bring about change in conformity to will. That is ludicrous. If that was the case you'd have every child in the playground playing skipping and clapping games causing great calamities."

It is if performed properly.The playground reference is out of context here,on a Witchcraft board where magick is discussed.It is a ludicrous example.

I bet I know just as many witches who do chant,chanting is one of, if not THE oldest forms of magickal energy raising and spell empowerment.

If this is so useless and not a 'spell' why post it as one,in the spells section?It is in fact ludicrous to chant for a storm to do no harm.I asked questions and I challenged the chant. That is not ludicrous.By the way,nice piggybacking Solitary Wiccan,but can you come up with an insult all on your ownsome next time? [ where did I say command the weather and turn it on others,I challenged the ill thought out nature of this chant and asked about possible deflection and consequences thereof, particularly in regard to ethics.There is a difference.Reread and perhaps gain a better understanding,or not,as you will ,but refrain from putting words in my mouth,I can do that all on my own.]
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Gee, eretik, I usually don't disagree with you, but I've seen a few bits of weather magick that were really quite effective. I haven't DONE them, since I have no idea what the repercussions of interacting with a storm in that way would be., and don't especially want to plan for that. heh heh.

Where I lived in Las Cruces, NM when I was a kid, we had a folk magick worker in our neighborhood. She caused a storm to cleve in half(!) to prevent a storm from harming/flooding our neighborhood.
How the heck did she do this?

She pushed a big hefty (and very solidly built) knife into the ground with it's sharp edge pointing towards the direction the storm would be approaching.

I saw her out on that windy night, putting that knife in the ground. She wore a red and black dress and had said some things (I couldn't hear her) into the raging storm.

That night, we saw the weather report and the meteorologists were freaked that the storm suddenly cleaved in half not far from our neighborhood against all reason and logic.

Now, I have to explain that Las Cruces is in a very strange area weather speaking, since it's protected on all sides (save for a narrow passage) from oncoming storms. However, a jet stream of sorts runs through that channel between mountians, so when a storm is lined up properly, it goes down that valley with a vengence and they tend to be very strong. Our nighborhood was sort of in that passage. There's nothing in that area that will break up a storm, and conditions are perfect for strengthening it. In fact, our neighborhood was sometimes spared if the storm wasn't strong enough to begin with and would gather strength later on... But that's NOT what happened this time. It was a very strong storm that suddenly went poof by cleaving in half at our particular area but lost energy doing this.
Very, very odd.

I instinctively picked up this blade, since the area she used was the bus stop to our school. It was also right in front of our house, and you could see the channel where the storms come through, as well as some of the mountians that blocked these storms. I still have that knife, and it has a very powerful and strangely firey energy, plus it feels like it was struck by lightening. It was my first experience with magick to handle this knife, and I some times think I became a witch because this was passed to me. Other people cannot touch this blade for it's strange vibes...

I also think that she was working with Chango... red and black... lightening and storms... and you really need the Gods on your side to Will-work weather. Don't do it as a dare, a challenge or to show off. You WILL get burned. I don't consider myself skilled enough to successfully handle weather magick, to be honest.

I've been known to ask a storm to pretty-please not hurt my garden, and that does work. But I don't demand or try to throw my weight around.

Return to “Post a Spell or Ritual”