Stinging Nettle

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Stinging Nettle

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

I know there is a nettle thread already, this is a different kind of nettle.

Stinging Nettle;

Description
Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica L., Urticaceae) is a perennial herb that grows up to 2 m tall from a creeping rootstock. The stem is square, the leaves are opposite and sharply toothed, and both are covered with stinging hairs. The small greenish flowers are found in clusters in the leaf axils, with male and female flowers on separate plants.

History and Uses
Stinging nettle was used by the North American First Nations people as a treatment for acne and eczema, for diarrhea, intestinal worms, and urinary tract infections. The tender tops were cooked for food and are an excellent source of chlorophyll, carotene and Vitamin C. The long fibres were used for cord, fishing line and sailcloth in Germany, Scotland and Norway during World War I. Nettle fabric has been found in burial sites dating from the Bronze Age. Today, stinging nettle is in demand as a treatment for non-cancerous prostate enlargement, for high blood pressure and urinary tract infections. It is used to treat skin eruptions and eczema, and freeze-dried as a treatment for hay fever.

Area of Adaptation
Stinging nettle is common around sloughs, along stream banks, in waste places and moist woods. It prefers damp, rich soil, pH 6 - 7, in full sun or partial shade, and lots of moisture. Extra nitrogen will increase yields. Nettle is said to increase the oil content of valerian, sage, marjoram, mint and angelica if planted 1 nettle:10 of the other plant, and will activate decomposition in compost piles. It is distributed from central Alaska west across most of Canada and south into South America. In Manitoba it is found throughout most of the province.

Cultivation and Processing
Seeds of nettle are hard to germinate. Root divisions in the fall are the best method of propagation, using 4 in. (10 cm) pieces of root. The plants are harvested before they flower, while still tender, so the whole plant can be used. If the plants are larger and woody, only the leaves can be used. Two or three harvests are possible in a year. The plants should be kept in a dark place after drying (they are non-stinging after they are dried). Fresh yields of about 400 lbs/1000 ft2 (17,400 lbs/acre or 20,000 kg/ha) are expected.

Marketing
1998 prices for nettle leaf were US$4.00/lb for non-medicinal use and US$9.80 - $27.15/lb for organically grown. Worldwide demand for nettle was estimated at 100 tons in 1996. Nettle is gaining popularity as a specialty tea for weight loss and maintenance. Clairol uses more than 40 tons/year as a hair conditioner. Health Canada has registered several "Herb and Natural Product" and homeopathic products containing stinging nettle.

Taken from;

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/ ... 00s07.html
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

One of my favourite plants.
I adore Nettles and all her qualities.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I tagged this from my blog.I journeyed with the spirit of Nettles and I have a lot of information on them,there.In Northern Europe the Nettle is seen as a plant belonging to Thor and to Hel.

I REMEMBERED.............stinging nettles are cool and useful for magick. They make a powerful general ward and are good for deflection of negativity -they are the astral [posting] equivalent of 'return to sender unopened' if you can get plantain leaves to go with it,even better...........I hang these up at main entrance/exit doorways in threes ,After I have dispersed smoke/layed nettles thoroughly. You can put them over window frames too,if desired.The Nettles can be quick dried and crumbled, then sprinkled round boundary doors/windows.They can be burned,carefully , you don't need much if they were picked in flowering,it's slightly bitter but not too bad a scent, waft the smoke through the living space -like a Northern European smudge. I did it.It works.Use sparingly - it runs for a month, so go by Moon phases,for timing. Incantation can be used according to personal preferences. Should you want to add to the returning,burn a little Rue with the nettles it is the herb of grace [under fire,grace in defeat etc.] and repentance.Shhhhhhhh....did I say that..

If you burn nettles before retiring to bed,focusing for a minute or two on your woes/troubles. you will be able to see your enemy,clearly, in your dreams. Another gift of the Nettle.

--------------------------------------------------

Here's Distribution information and general info on Nettles,good old Wiki............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

and here is the Scienctific/Medical information............

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/stin ... 000275.htm

More from the Nettle appreciation society...............

Nettles in textile/land cleaning applications -ecologically beneficial.

http://www.biomatnet.org/secure/Fair/S905.htm

Nettles are vital to wildlife/ecosystems

http://www.nettles.org.uk/nettles/wildlife.asp

Wise Old Spirit of Nettles.

Post by thatguy »

I'm fond of nettle too, I use it mainly for it's nutritional qualities; it's
packed full of nutrients.

I make an herbal tea with it using 2 parts nettle, 1 part peppermint (by
volume of ground plant matter). It's as much nettle as I can put in
without it's relatively chlorophyll-y taste (although not really unpleasant)
dominating. I use those iron sealable paper tea bags and put 1 1/4
teaspoons in each bag.

Unfortunately, my regular supplier was out of nettle last time I made an
order :(.

Eretik, thanks for the additional info about nettle, I had no idea it had so
many magical properties. In fact, up to this point I hadn't even
considered that nettle might have important mystical properties. :oops:

You've prompted me to look into this plant more deeply.

cheers,

T. Guy.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Thanks for the great post Eretik, I'm going to visit that site and update my personal notes on Nettles,

T.Guy, could I write down your nettle recipe? If I were, and you wanted to name it, what you you call it?
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

Good for tea, bad for campers. :)
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I think you can tell I'm a big nettle fan.lol.Thatguy,I eat them too.They are chock full of vit C and iron,good for me,I have Porphyria.

I talk about 'the sting that heals' in regard to nettles.I do this because:
I had an allergic/irritant reaction to Amazon Lily sap.It took the skin off my left hand.Ooyah! The doctor gave me a strong steroid cream,stronger than the usual [ I get scaly skin from photosensitivity,get creams for it] but it burned the injured parts more.I got lesions,it was a mess.I was at high risk of infection but the doctor was bamboozled a bit.He gave me another cream and my hand was bandaged up,with ointment etc.It itched and hurt.I was not risking more steroids, but was at a loss what to do.Then I had a lightbulb moment,[ a vision, I believe or a sign, however you interpret it] 'the sting that heals' the words singing in my head.I plunged my hand [unbandaged it first, of course] into a stand of nettles - near my home,expecting it to nip - it didn't,I felt warmth and then tingling and then - joy! no itch, it seemed numbed.This lasted for hours.I knew then how I was to heal my hand.I picked me a lot of nettles.Two weeks later my hand was healed,still a little pink but the lesions healed over in the first three days.I'm not joking,I usually heal slowly [lack of iron etc.].No scarring either. Six months later or so now.This story could have been written better,but I was trying to keep it short.I ramble.
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Shaman Of Bliss wrote:Thanks for the great post Eretik, I'm going to visit that site and update my personal notes on Nettles,

T.Guy, could I write down your nettle recipe? If I were, and you wanted to name it, what you you call it?
Hi Shaman,

Well, my nettle recipes are sadly undeveloped, in fact, I've only come up
with two, neither are complex and neither were special enough to warrant
a particular name (your mileage may very).

One I already mentioned:

2 Parts Nettle , 1 Part Peppermint (by volume of ground dried plant
matter)

This mixture stimulates the appetite somewhat (due to the peppermint)
but is mainly nutritious with little effect on state of mind. I mainly
composed this to have a pleasant tasting drink from which I could benefit
from nettle's many nutrients.

The other is:

3 Parts Nettle, 1 Part Anise Seed

Again I mainly chose this combination for flavour. The taste is very good.
The anise really balances off the nettle's algae-like flavour. In this ratio
the anise flavour is neither overpowering nor absent.

This mixture (drank as an infusion) is a little stimulating (due to the
anise), is slightly diaphoretic (seems to cause perspiration mainly on the
forehead and somewhat on the chest area). I've also found it generally
inspires a good mood.

Preparation of the mixture (both recipes):

I recommend starting from organic or wildcrafted dried herbs in whole or
'cut and sift' format. Grind the plant matter into a powder only just before
preparing a batch of herbal tea. Once the dried plant matter is mixed
together, I recommend putting 1 to 1.25 teaspoons of the mixture in
separate tea bags. Keep them in a sealed container in a dark place. In
general will stay 'fresh' for about 2-3 weeks (although try to consume
withim 1.5-2 weeks). Will probably last 2-3 months, but after this much
time, most of the nutrients will have decomposed and the volatile oils
sublimated.

Preparation for drinking (both recipes):

Bring some water to boil. Pour 'just boiled' water directly over you tea
bag (or tea ball) in a *closed* container. For a single tea-cup or mug,
place a small plate inverted over the top of the cup while steeping. Let
steep for 10 minutes. Each portion/bag will make about 1-1.5 cups of tea.

cheers,

T. Guy
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

>,> Thanks T guy, ill record those.

blessed be.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Killer exorcism tea; for those really bad "I'm cursed" days

Ok, I know some people are going to think this is silly, but sometimes you REALLY need to kick that energy in the arse before you can get it moving. So
this is what I do. Some people use many of the same ingredients for a hang-over cure... I even take it when a cold is just coming on and it often works. It does NOT work if you catch it too late.

Warning: if you have sensitive skin, you may want to knock this down a notch. I love hot food, so it's perfect for me. It can cause stomach upset, burning mouth, and diarhea for the uninitiated.

Note: This makes more than one cup of tea. IT makes three cups of tea or something like 20 oz of it. Serve warm or cold. One serving is one shotglass full, or one cup if it's not too hot.

3 cloves of garlic (one for those sensitive types
1 teaspoon of hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of nettles
3 pinches of cayenne pepper
3 pinches of black pepper
1 teaspoon of lemon juice, freshly squeezed best.
1 teaspoon of ginger, turmeric, or paprika depending on what you like (optional)
1 teaspoon of anise seed

Hot water

Plain yoghurt just in case (NOT fat free!!!) Full fat for best effect. Make sure it has it's full compliment of live active cultures. This does not go into the tea, but you wait 20 minutes after you drink the tea, and eat the yoghurt. This is in case of stomach ache, or the excessive killing of intestinal flora which can cause great discomfort later on. Also, if the heat is too much for you, it works well to quench the fire without removing the cleansing.

Don't complain to me if you skip the yoghurt step.

Technique:

To make the tea, you cut up the garlic first. Use fresh. Cut up into tiny cubes. If you use fresh ginger, do the same with that. Set it at the bottom of your tea steeper (a bowl with a towel or a brown betty work... aka a ceramic tea pot to the rest of yall). Now add the lemon juice. Let it set for about a minute. Now, pour a small ammount of hot water over the garlic, just enough to cover. Let it rest for a while, say, 3 minutes.
Mush with a pessle if you are feeling ambitious.

Now, add the rest of the dry ingredients, add about 20 oz of water, and let steep for 10 minutes. By then it should still be warm. If you want to serve cold, let steep for 20 minutes. Strain through cheese cloth or a strainer. Sip a tip a tiny amount to find out how strong it is. If it's too strong, dilute it with more water. If it's strong, get a shot glass and chug it. No, NOT all of it, but from a single shot glass to a full measured cup if need be. ( a small decorative tea cup is idea for measurement)
Jar up the rest and put it in your fridge. LABEL CLEARLY. I like putting a (flaming) skull and crossbones and a warning label on this one.
While you are waiting for the tea to steep, dole out a cup's worth of yoghurt, in a bowl. You can use vanilla or plain, full fat, or low fat, but be warned, the low fat won't help the heat as much.

So, if you have heat problems, you can eat the yoghurt, and have the rest 20 minutes later.

The anise seed is there to prevent stomach cramps from doing this.

Like I said, this is serious stuff.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”