making your own deck?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
[AmberRose13]

making your own deck?

Post by [AmberRose13] »

I have been using the same Tarot deck for years. Its a copy of the Radiant Rider-Waite Tarot. It was wonderful when I was just starting out, but now I want something more.
I've been searching for a deck, but just haven't connected with one.
Now I am toying with the idea of making my own deck. I am a very artistic person, and I really want to sketch out my own version of the Rider-Waite.
Has anyone else done this before?

- Amberrose
"Sometimes the measure of friendship isn't your ability to not harm but your capacity to forgive the things done to you and ask forgiveness for your own mistakes."
- R.K. Milholland
sunstoneleo

Post by sunstoneleo »

No, but someone in my class has talked anout making her own deck. I am taking these wicca seeker classes. I think it would be really cool to make your own deck though!
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

I've made my own augury deck and found the process very rewarding.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

You can buy blank tarot cards... they even come with extras so you can make a mistake.

Oh, and if you don't want to draw it yourself, you can use cut out images (printed from on line or from National Geographic magazines) and paste them on with Mod Podge. Or use Mod Podge to paint over colored pencil drawing to glaze it against wear and use.

I *should* do my own...

I have some rune cards (see my blog) but I haven't printed them yet.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

You can buy blank tarot cards... they even come with extras so you can make a mistake.

Oh, and if you don't want to draw it yourself, you can use cut out images (printed from on line or from National Geographic magazines) and paste them on with Mod Podge. Or use Mod Podge to paint over colored pencil drawing to glaze it against wear and use.

I *should* do my own...

I have some rune cards (see my blog) but I haven't printed them yet.
[AmberRose13]

Post by [AmberRose13] »

[quote="jcrowfoot"]You can buy blank tarot cards... they even come with extras so you can make a mistake. [ /quote]
That sounds pretty good. I think I am going to design them, and then have staples shrink and copy them onto cards. I want them to be able to withstand a lot, but lamanating them would be going to far, right?

- Amberrose
"Sometimes the measure of friendship isn't your ability to not harm but your capacity to forgive the things done to you and ask forgiveness for your own mistakes."
- R.K. Milholland
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I think it's a great idea to make your own. Before I was ever really into Tarot or wicca I made some "fortune telling" cards. I simply put images of things on them that symbolized different things to me.

For instance one picture would be a feather which to me would mean peace, health, guidance and such. I used them quite often and freaked a few people out with how accurate I was.

I highly reccomend it. Hmm I think I shall go try and find those cards now...
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
AkanaAnash

Post by AkanaAnash »

I did!

Photoshop, some photo-paper and a lamination machine are your best friends!!!

(I still like Rohrig)

Thet
"The Prince Of Darkness is a gentleman"
W. Shakespeare
[Obsidian]

Post by [Obsidian] »

Making your own cards could be really good. That way the symbolism will speak to you and you might not even drag a book around with you.

Harry

Return to “Tarot Talk”