Venting - Religion.

General discussion/questions about life, death, sexuality, love, teen concerns, lifestyle, & work.
WolfWitch

Post by WolfWitch »

They did it because when it was only the clergy and the very learned, they had all of the power and they liked it. If suddenly, every man was able to read and study the Bible, their power would greatly deminish. So, things where edited and changed. A God Fearing man still looked to the church, because the Bible told him to. And that's the word of God so it must be right, right?

Power, in the wrong hands. It's just one more reason I like Wicca. The power of faith is in my hands. As a solitary practitioner, I make the rules and govern the methodology of my worship. And the best part, there isn't a wrong way. If I hold the Rede true to myself and follow the good path, the specifics of wording and ritual are entirly up to me.

That freedom made me cry when I first figured it out.

WW.
The greatest advice I was ever given: It matters not what you believe. Only that you believe it wholeheartedly.
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

I have herd many things that where taken out and added to the bible.One thing i herd was it use to say "wemon had no souls" and then wemon started haveing more power and things and thay had to change it. Just stupid things like that.

I also reameber being told the reson the chatholis pray to saints was because when the church started thay wanted the pagans to convert and told them to pray to there saints, that way it was just like thay where praying to there old gods. Because arnt there femail saints? Why whould a church that wont even alow people to close to the prist because its unholy have female saints?( yes i know thay dont have the cage/bars up anymore ) if it wasnt to take the place of a goddess.

Also whent the original 10 commandment broken? and thay where differnt than the 10 thay have now? I dont remeber well but arnt bouth sets sposta be in the arc of the covanet? I wonder what the first set says, i also wonder if god acculy gave him a secent set or he didnt like the way the first was and made up one he liked better?

I see that we all prety much agree with eitchother here, and infact we have kinda, deffended christianity, how can we get christions to see this? And understand that we arnt evil, and that we still love them even though thay hate us? I understand that thay act this way because there told to. But how can we change there minds? Why is it*almost* evey religion in the world prety much gets along but christianity act like there better and look down on us, untell we become one? I think we need to find ways to get them to atlest tollerat us. I was always told in church not to tollerat or accept, its evil and therefor shouldnt be bothered with. I have also been told that Christion have started to tollerat us, but thay havent at all.

I pray one day thay, just get over it.
Merry Part
~Addalaide
[GeekyPagan]

Post by [GeekyPagan] »

I rejected Christianity for a mulititude of reasons. I tried to be a Christain, realized that kinda sucked, and I didn't really believe it. Then I tried to go Unitarian Universalist, the most accepting and open minded Christian Sect. The can be very cool, and amazing.

As a historian, or at the very least - a student historian, I came to realize the cycle of abuse women have taken over the centuries because of the re inforced partriarchical system that Christianity is. I say reinforced because Rome and certain parts of Greece were extremely Patriarchical. Except....their religions involved women. Made it a point to involve women. They knew that spirituality needed a female force. I mean...helloooo....the Greeks named a city for a Goddess, Athena. Roman women had some rights, socially and politically. In Athens, not so much. In other Greek city-states women had varying degrees of power. In the Ancient Middle East (this is where my scholarship gets fuzzy) certain places had different rules governing women and thier involvement in society - yet there was a place for women in religion.

In Ancient Egypt, there were even Women Pharohs, but even though the top of politcal and spirtual heap was often a man - he had numerous wives and his extremely influential Great Wife (eh, sometimes not so much). But Pharohs were constantly doleing out fantastic religious titles to his female relatives that carried great power. In fact, even common women were the most "free" women of the Ancient World.

Women in the Northren tribes (what is now Europe) carried great power, spiritually and sometimes politically. These tribes tended to be more egalitarian due to thier nomadic nature (ie everyone had to work). But these women had a place in spirituality, and were not spurrned for thier sexuality.

When the men who wrote/edited the Bible, they royally screwed women over and they did it intentionally. Did we know that it was MARY MAGALENE whom Christ charged with keeping the faith? Think of how different Christianity would be if that was kept and followed? All the way from the Middle Ages to the Victorian Age (and don't get me started on THAT) the doctine and dogma evolved and started to place women at the bottom, deeming them not good enough to commune with God, but must do it through men. Our sexuality and our right to have pleasure and joy in it was robbed from us. Our Goddess, our Mother was cruelly taken away. Our arts of healing, or magick was deemed wrong and evil.

This is what I find wrong in Christiantity, though the wheels of history and transpiring of events.... European Women lost thier divinity for centuries.

I thank the Goddess and God that I live in this time, where I can feel, know and LOVE both of them. Equally.

Disclaimer - I am not a fully trained historian. I am just a student. And my scholarship is so erratic, I have dabbled in a little of everything. If I got a fact wrong, forgive me, it's late and I am just a Pagan feminist with a big mouth and a computer lol :P
Rein

Post by Rein »

The fact is, the modern bible just can't be trusted because of translating, misinterpretations, and no-good morons that just wanted more power.
[Epothes]

Post by [Epothes] »

Kayako wrote:The fact is, the modern bible just can't be trusted because of translating, misinterpretations, and no-good morons that just wanted more power.
Good explanation! :lol:

I mainly don't talk about religious beliefs with others since hipocrits, morons, and ignorant fools always end up asking me if I'm Athiest even though it has nothing in common with my beliefs. Then the next day I'm always recruited by the school devil worshipers (I'm told not all Satanists worship Satan...who'd have thunk it?) bringing me over to summon demons. Idiots.

So rather than trouble myself I say, "School isn't the right place to talk about religion. A teacher might hear us." XP
~Epothes~
Rein

Post by Rein »

Oh yes, school is the worst, just another reason I switched to an online school. Now I am free to draw pentagrams on my folders without the constant onslaught of "Hey, are you a satanist?", and weird looks from teachers.
[GeekyPagan]

Post by [GeekyPagan] »

this is why I like college. Yeah you sometimes still get dumb ass frat boys who think they are being clever and asking you if you're a satanist, but for the most part, I am left alone. and I like it like that.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

its quite tragic how people associate almost everything with satanism(although the pentagram does appear oft in satanism)

as i was saying i was in scripture in year 10 and the teacher who i quite despised saw me drawing all sorts of symbols(most of my own creation) on my book cover and she asked if i worshipped "satan" and that all his followers go to hell. so i decided to have a bit of fun with the old idiot and i said "The most loyal dont suffer the torture of the regular sinner" and then in latin i said "hell be your final destination" knowing that she spoke latin and then she sent me to the principals office, they called in the parents, recommended a few psychiatrists and therapists, suspended me for two weeks and called it a day. not the best of experiences but still pretty funny in my eyes.

-Sobek
Doe

Post by Doe »

OK,I have to put in my 2 cens worth here,,,,,,,,,
The closest to religion I had growing up was Babtist,my husbands was Catholic.Both of us taught to believe in God ,Jesus and the written word of the Bible.To have Faith and not to question why.
As I get older I have more and more questions,( I guess the brainwashing did'nt stick,lol) So many questions that I now spend more time thinking about and studying the written word and the more I do so the more questions I have and, you know what? It just doesnt add up.I have come to the opinion that the Bible is based on heresay and urban legend and what a few people who wanted the masses to think what they think and believe what they wanted us to believe and twisted what might have been true events.I'm not saying thats how feel about the whole Bible.
I recently came across a chapter in an e-book my husband bought for me that has a 100 contradictions in the Bible.Very interesting facts.Its not just what this person believes are contradictionds but gives you script and verse to each so you can compare them yourself.

Pagan is my Heart,Wiccan is my Faith,
Blessed Be,
Doe
) O (
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

Ok sence you brought up the contridictions this is a list of ones i have come across, i couldnt resist posting them now.

Horrid FACTS for you proud Bible people!

Some 'interesting' facts :

GE 1:3-5 On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness.
GE 1:14-19 The sun (which separates night and day) wasn't created until the fourth day.

GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created.

GE 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created.

GE 1:24-27 Animals were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before animals were created.

GE 1:26-27 Man and woman were created at the same time.
GE 2:7, 21-22 Man was created first, woman sometime later.

GE 1:28 God encourages reproduction.
LE 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.)

GE 1:31 God was pleased with his creation.
GE 6:5-6 God was not pleased with his creation.
(Note: That God should be displeased is inconsistent with the concept of omniscience.)

GE 2:4, 4:26, 12:8, 22:14-16, 26:25 God was already known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah) much earlier than the time of Moses.
EX 6:2-3 God was first known as "the Lord" (Jahveh or Jehovah) at the time of the Egyptian Bondage, during the life of Moses.

GE 2:17 Adam was to die the very day that he ate the forbidden fruit.
GE 5:5 Adam lived 930 years.

GE 2:15-17, 3:4-6 It is wrong to want to be able to tell good from evil.
HE 5:13-14 It is immature to be unable to tell good from evil.

GE 4:4-5 God prefers Abel's offering and has no regard for Cain's.
2CH 19:7, AC 10:34, RO 2:11 God shows no partiality. He treats all alike.

GE 4:9 God asks Cain where his brother Able is.
PR 15:3, JE 16:17, 23:24-25, HE 4:13 God is everywhere. He sees everything. Nothing is hidden from his view.

GE 4:15, DT 32:4, IS 34:8 God is a vengeful god.
EX 15:3, IS 42:13, HE 12:29 God is a warrior. God is a consuming fire.
EX 20:5, 34:14, DT 4:24, 5:9, 6:15, 29:20, 32:21 God is a jealous god.
LE 26:7-8, NU 31:17-18, DT 20:16-17, JS 10:40, JG 14:19, EZ 9:5-7 The Spirit of God is (sometimes) murder and killing.
NU 25:3-4, DT 6:15, 9:7-8, 29:20, 32:21, PS 7:11, 78:49, JE 4:8, 17:4, 32:30-31, ZP 2:2 God is angry. His anger is sometimes fierce.
2SA 22:7-8 (KJV) "I called to the Lord; ... he heard my voice; ... The earth trembled and quaked, ... because he was angry. Smoke came from his nostrils. Consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it."
EZ 6:12, NA 1:2, 6 God is jealous and furious. He reserves wrath for, and takes revenge on, his enemies. "... who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? His fury is poured out like fire, and rocks are thrown down by him."
2CO 13:11, 14, 1JN 4:8, 16 God is love.
GA 5:22-23 The fruit of the Spirit of God is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

GE 4:16 Cain went away (or out) from the presence of the Lord.
JE 23:23-24 A man cannot hide from God. God fills heaven and earth.

GE 6:4 There were Nephilim (giants) before the Flood.
GE 7:21 All creatures other than Noah and his clan were annihilated by the Flood.
NU 13:33 There were Nephilim after the Flood.
Merry Part
~Addalaide
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i knew the bible was a bunch of hipocritical dribble but even i didnt think anything could contradict it's self so much!
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

I havent gotten to look into it much so i donno if thay used evey bible vertion or not, cause some of them do say things differnt than the other, so where one bible might not contridict itsend at all in the same book, if you take a passage from a differnt bible and compare it to the other bible, it will say something completly differnt....wow dont you love this book?

I dont remeber where i got that at, so i dont know how much of it is even true, the thing about how god is vengfull, but still a loveing god is so true though, from eveything i have read atlest.
Merry Part
~Addalaide
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

speaking of i was in religion class today.

some denominations dont believe in hell because God is loving and merciful so as such he wouldnt create hell.
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

Hurm, what ones? Thats prety intresting.

One of the churches here in tn took a "vote" to change one of there "laws" about if a man devorsed his wife and got remaried, it was considered adultry, but the law/rule is if a man devorces his wife and gets remarried depending on the circumstances it might be adultry.

Well thats how i understood it.
Merry Part
~Addalaide
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i find it wrong how they decide they can/want to change the laws of thier respective religion. like the catholic church decided that the original sin doesnt apply anymore. for those who dont know the original sin is in everyone born and is erased with baptism. the original sin is because Adam and Eve took the damn apple so in every child born in thier line(so everyone lol) is born with this sin and the baptism negates it. so yeah that doesnt matter anymore.

Return to “Life, Death, and Love”