The Covenant...grrrr

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Storm

Post by Storm »

LOL

Imagine if I had had that kind of rant rather than merely mentioning that misrepresentation of an actual spiritual path (as opposed to an entirely fictional one) quite annoyed me.

PS, I feel honoured that you would put that much time and effort into a piss-take.... just for me? Awww. You're sweet.
:wink:
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

excellent contrast
Butterfly1984

Post by Butterfly1984 »

Well Im with Sobek. There is no harm in these films, their just films so why not jut watch an be entertained or don´t watch and do something else. I just watched the trailer and Ill prob go see it jus cos i like horror/thrillers like that. I know what I am capable of as a witch so it wont effect that. If wannabes see it and then want to become a witch like u say they will b disappointed or they will actually agree with what Witchcraft stands for and we´ll have another person in the world who is a Pagan/Wiccan and our ´religeon´will carry on growing as it should.

Blessed Be
Butterflies are the most free life on this planet and i aspire to be that free spirited. Love and Light to all.
Blessed Be
Butterfly1984

Post by Butterfly1984 »

and OMG!!!! What a crazy post!!! LMAO!!!!!
Butterflies are the most free life on this planet and i aspire to be that free spirited. Love and Light to all.
Blessed Be
Storm

Post by Storm »

Which post is crazy?
Butterfly1984

Post by Butterfly1984 »

The star wars post. That took some thinking about lol!
Blessed Be
Lucine

Post by Lucine »

Funny, I was just thinking about Star Wars a couple of days ago. It got really confusing who the good guys and the bad guys were. Of course killing younglings is evil and destroying a planet yada yada yada. But, what kind of whacked out religion tells you feelings are bad and to be contained at all times? Oh, and that forbidden love thing.

Anyways, back to the rant. I don't particularly like the cheesy way Hollyweird portrays magic. But, then looking at the real life of witches would be kind of a snooze. Unless you all are keeping something from me, like you really can fly.

Oh, James you aren't crazy. At least I don't get that vibe at all. As a matter of fact you seem unusually centered.
Reason is out to lunch. How may I help you?
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

"what kind of whacked out religion tells you feelings are bad and to be contained at all times?"

they were allowed to feel, but they werent allowed to let the feelings control and take them over, thats why the rest seem very apathetic at times. if you take notice they all feel a wide range of emotion, but only anakin and luke let thier anger and other emotions control them...

OFF TOPIC LOL

"I don't particularly like the cheesy way Hollyweird portrays magic"

i love it, if i made a movie it would be like that(but i reckon my movie would be way better)
BabyGirl131519

Post by BabyGirl131519 »

I personally did not have a problem with the Covenant or The Craft.

Wicker Man though kinda pissed me off.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

I got confused watching The Wicker Man. (However it was half-way over when I started watching it!)

Off Topic: What exactly is it about????

Ahh, that Star Wars rant was quite funny. My friend and I had a good laugh about that one! :D
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

That_Guy: your star wars post was hysterical! It's even better than most things that get forwarded on the Internet in the name of humor! If I had more time to practice, I'd do a live reading of it at the pagan con I'm going to. Only with your permission, of course. (and forward all the tomatoes to you! :-) x :-) )

Geez. As for the actual topic, I go back and forth on weather it's cool to have movies like that. For one thing, I really like them. I especially like movies about kicking Satanist butt, even though I KNOW Satanists, none of who are anything like that. Suffice to say it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

I also love M. R. Sellars, and he also does go overboard a bit. Granted, it is a bit more believable overboard than you see generally on film, but still highly entertaining never the less.

It reminds me of a comment that my sweetie made to me when we were watching an episode of Law and Order about Fen: "You could complain that the show depicts fen as murders, but it's a cop show. To have anyone in there besides cops, there have to be murderers!"

In order to have a movie about metaphysical mayhem, there have to be people *doing* the metaphysical mayhem. I mean, I suppose you could so something like a witchy ghost-busters, but you have the same problem by portraying spirits as the purveyors of all mayhem. (Thus we get something Buffy-like) Also, if your bad guys don't use magic, then you have a problem with a lack of balance.
Sum1Got2

Post by Sum1Got2 »

:shock: I only saw it because the actors of the male variety. Was a crap movie, though.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

the movie i thought wasnt too bad nothing i'd watch more than once, and the actors were nothing special either.
though i did like the beginning of the fight scene, it got a bit too repetitive for my liking.
Shadow27

Post by Shadow27 »

Craft is yet somewhat realistic , just slightly exagurated. The Covennat is just rubish , Harry Potter makes more sense .

In my oppinion ( and I dont exactly stand alone ) it is very insultive for any serious pagan , or witch or eclectic , ocultist est.

So the girl that started thread has a verrrrry good point.

CASE CLOSED :P
Imiko
Banned Member

Post by Imiko »

Sercee wrote:roflmao!!!
Case may be closed, But I am inclined to ask that you PLEASE try to at least spell it out and put a point into your post. It makes us look bad. :/ So please, can you like.... type something in your posts instead of just randomly posting Chat speak? THANK YOU!

P.s. Not trying to be mean, however, it's just a HUGE pet peeve of mine when people don't actually write in their posts.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”