What's Your (Chinese) sign?

General questions and conversations about astrology.
Blazewind

Post by Blazewind »

I am a dog, but what is all this about the elements in front of signs. How can a person tell what thewre element is. Sorry, I have not read about chinese astrology.
Blazewind

The only truely stupid question is the one that no one had the nerve to ask.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

The Chinese Zodiac changes in 60 year cycles. The 12 signs (monkey, boar, dog, dragon etc) cycle 5 times in this period. I don't remember if it's based on the 5 elements or 5 metals, but this is currently the year of the Golden Boar. And I'm a Metal Monkey.

I find that the general 'monkey' horoscope doesn't fit me, just as the standard 'pisces' one doesn't either, not quite. But as soon as I add in 'metal' or my rising sign 'leo' then it's almost right on.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I'm a Water Dog
Orion

Post by Orion »

Blazewind wrote:I am a dog, but what is all this about the elements in front of signs. How can a person tell what thewre element is. Sorry, I have not read about chinese astrology.
Go to the beginning of the thread and read the first post. I have a link to a site that has the list. You can find yours there. Though I'd venture a guess, if you already know you fall under the Dog, that you are a Water Dog like Shadow.

Sercee, the one I'm using just the five elements (one being metal). This is the zodiac itself. The year naming falls under something similar, I'll have to check it out later... piqued my curiosity lol. ( Though a note from a quick overview of trying to find out more: '07 being the year of the Golden Boar is very rare. A one in sixty year thing neat).

One random thing that I am reminded of with the mention of the 60 year cycles is the fact we are currently in the 78th cycle. '84 was the start (February I think).
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I'm a wood rabbit. And an Aquari-ces.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

metal horse :wink:
Malvok

Post by Malvok »

I'm just a wraskly wabbit over here. I don't know what element part i would be. how would i find that out?

although i am kinda boarder line on the dragon i was born in 88 but it was before the chinease new year.
Bob: "I'm board"

Malvok: "So go on an adventure!"

Bob: "What adventure?"

Malvok: "Make your own own adventure then."

Bob: "Make my own? You can't just make up an adventure!"

Malvok: "Sure you can!"
**Malvok Steals Bob's Cloths starts running away**
Malvok: "THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!!!!!!!!!!"
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

Malvok wrote:I'm just a wraskly wabbit over here. I don't know what element part i would be. how would i find that out?

although i am kinda boarder line on the dragon i was born in 88 but it was before the chinease new year.

earth rabbit you are
WillowMoon

Chinese horoscopes

Post by WillowMoon »

I'm a wood horse.

Stella
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Orion, thank you for that post! I love the Chinese Zodiac. It seems to have a much clearer vision of who I am and how I feel, etc... much more than what I have experienced with the Western 12-month zodiac.

With that said, I feel so ignorant at not knowing it went even further and accounted for the elements. This is great!

Now I know that my husband is more than a dragon, he is a Water Dragon, I am not just a sheep (or goat, depending on the resource), I am a Fire Lamb, and my baby daughter is a Fire Pig.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
brokenxdreams

Post by brokenxdreams »

Water monkey.
Malvok

Post by Malvok »

so i take it the element is decided by what time of the year you were born?
Bob: "I'm board"

Malvok: "So go on an adventure!"

Bob: "What adventure?"

Malvok: "Make your own own adventure then."

Bob: "Make my own? You can't just make up an adventure!"

Malvok: "Sure you can!"
**Malvok Steals Bob's Cloths starts running away**
Malvok: "THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!!!!!!!!!!"
Courtney

Post by Courtney »

I'm an earth snake. :D
brokenxdreams

Post by brokenxdreams »

The animal comes from what year you were born; the element [I'm 99% sure] comes from what zodiac sign you are.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

brokenxdreams wrote:
The animal comes from what year you were born; the element [I'm 99% sure] comes from what zodiac sign you are.
uhm,, its not like that.. the elements of the chinese zodiac is far diffrent from zodiac that you are pertaining to.. we have 5 elements for chinese zodiac namely fire water earth wood and metal.

When trying to calculate the relevant year, an easy rule to follow is that years that end in an even number are yang, those that end with an odd number are yin. The cycle proceeds as follows:

If the year ends in 0 it is Yang Metal.
If the year ends in 1 it is Yin Metal.
If the year ends in 2 it is Yang Water.
If the year ends in 3 it is Yin Water.
If the year ends in 4 it is Yang Wood.
If the year ends in 5 it is Yin Wood.
If the year ends in 6 it is Yang Fire.
If the year ends in 7 it is Yin Fire.
If the year ends in 8 it is Yang Earth.
If the year ends in 9 it is Yin Earth.

that's how it is... hope this help...

by the way i got this from wikipedia, and if you want to learn more... type in your queries there regarding this matter :wink:

Return to “Astrology and Zodiac”