Don't eat it Snow White! Poisonous herbs

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Yes, belladonna is used at eye doctors to make the pupil expand to see into the eye itself, to inspect the health of the cornea and such. So women using it to make the pupils larger is a fact.
aillilek

Re: Don't eat it Snow White! Poisonous herbs

Post by aillilek »

I have a couple of certificates in 'herb magik', so feel free to ask away or request any further info ::coolglasses::

Aconite
Apple (blossom)
Apple (bitter)
Baneberry
Belladonna (deadly nightshade)
Black Cohosh
Bloodroot
Byrony (european white, white, and black)
Cabbage Tree
Calabar Bean
Calotropis (cherry Laurel)
Clematis
Coco, bolivian
Cocculus, indicus
Dropwort, Hemlock water
Foxglove
Gelsemium
Hellbore (black, false,green, white hemlock)
Hemlock, water
Hemp, Indian
Henbane
Ignatius Beans
Ivy, Poison
Laburnum
Laurel, mountain
Lovage, water
Mescal buttons
Mandrake
Mugwort
Nightshade, black
Nightshade, deadly, nux vomica
Paris Herb
Poppy, white
Saffron, meadow
Spurges
Stavesacre
Strophanthus
Thornapple
Wake Robin, American
Wormwood
Yew

Poisonous ingredients were probably added in the dark side of the trade in ancient times to harm, banish or ward off. We, of course, don't want to do this in this day and age! What about Tobacco? It is a great substite for those plants such as belldonna, nightshade, hemlock, cowbane or hellebor, it is still poisonous but you aren't going to die from inhaling a bit of tobacco leaf. Nettle is another one you can use, it isn't poisonous but you can get a 'sting' from it if you touch it. Also, you will find that a spell that ask for a poisonous herb is not for consuming, so don't panic about finding something 'edible' for your substitution!

Magikal substitutions are not dangerous, nor do they make your spells/recipes powerless. As long as you think about their uses and follow these basic guidelines - as well as your intuition - then you will have no problems at all.

So, think about the ingredient you are wanting to use, but don't have. It doesn't mean you simply put away a recipe because the ingredient is hard to get or you simply don't have it laying around - or it is a poisonuous herb. Think of the herbs properties, its energies and elements - and its scent. You should always keep woods with woods, flowers with flowers, gums with gums, oil with oils and never think for one minute that something else can not be used instead of.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Black Nightshade has medicinal purposes. Its just when used in excess its poisonous. Same with wormwood.
MoonKatt

Post by MoonKatt »

I need herbal advice I'm trying to make my own dream necklace and I'm not sure what would be bad and good to put in it. Sorry i'm new. Thank you for any and all help you give me.
MoonKatt
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

MoonKatt, you should post your question in herbs and herbalism. And describe a little bit what kind of dreams your looking for. Do you want psychic dreams or pleasant dreams? Just post it in herbs and herbalism, please :D
Netalula

Re:

Post by Netalula »

astral wrote:it's pretty though!
the prettiest herbs are usually the worse.
TaylorS

Re:

Post by TaylorS »

Ravencry wrote:Yes, belladonna is used at eye doctors to make the pupil expand to see into the eye itself, to inspect the health of the cornea and such. So women using it to make the pupils larger is a fact.
The stuff they use to dilate your eyes is Atropine? I did not know that!!! :shock:
TaylorS

Post by TaylorS »

All members of the Tomato family (Solanaceae), which also includes nightshade, potatoes, peppers, and chilies, has at least some parts of the plant that are poisonous, even the leaves and stems of tomato and pepper plants are poisonous. Tomatoes were for a long time after their introduction into Europe around 1500 thought to be poisonous because they are related to nightshade.
Tylluan

A Collection of Poisonous Plants 2

Post by Tylluan »

Wow thats an amazing collection thanks for posting.

We call Belladonna 'Deadly Nightshade' here.

The Clematis is an interesting one. Its known as Old Man's Beard round here as the fluffy fruit looks like a beard. Its also known as Travellers Joy. It is associated with Witches because it strangles other plants around it (charming). Beggars would rub it on their skin because it would cause a reaction with the skin and cause lumpy swelling. This helped the Beggars as they would appear to be in terrible condition and people would give them money out of pity.

I'm slowly learning the plants in our local hedgerows, its amazing what a witchy wealth of greenery and foraging opportunties there are when you can identify plants. There is a stretch of land near my house that has been closed to walkers because Hemlock is growing there and they can't get rid of it quick enough.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
Twine
Banned Member

Re: A Collection of Poisonous Plants

Post by Twine »

Cora wrote:We call Belladonna 'Deadly Nightshade' here.
I've always know it as both. I find Deadly Nightshade to be a bit more menacing, so usually use the term Belladonna, as to not frighten anyone. ;)
Cora wrote:The Clematis is an interesting one. Its known as Old Man's Beard round here as the fluffy fruit looks like a beard. Its also known as Travellers Joy. It is associated with Witches because it strangles other plants around it (charming). Beggars would rub it on their skin because it would cause a reaction with the skin and cause lumpy swelling. This helped the Beggars as they would appear to be in terrible condition and people would give them money out of pity.
What a lovely (if you want to call it that, even being slightly disturbing -- my favorite) story! I often find folklore about plants much more interesting than the plants themselves. I do love myself some biology, but human nature always makes me chuckle. Some of the things people have done and said in olden times just make me giggle. Then again, I'm sure people hundreds of years from now will look back and say the same thing about us... especially Popular Music.
Cora wrote:I'm slowly learning the plants in our local hedgerows, its amazing what a witchy wealth of greenery and foraging opportunties there are when you can identify plants. There is a stretch of land near my house that has been closed to walkers because Hemlock is growing there and they can't get rid of it quick enough.
I am lucky enough to live in the Shawnee National Forest and have a wealth of vegetation to pick from, myself. I agree, it really is a wonder how many things right in front of you can go unnoticed. When I first began studying, I searched EVERYWHERE for a mulberry bush. I asked around, searched stores, even went foraging through the woods and came up with nothing. Finally, having given up completely, I walked into my backyard and there, of course, almost as if to mock me, stands a mulberry bush. That whole 'backyard' saying is remarkably true, after all. ;)
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

That is so typical that you had a mulberry bush out the back lol reminds me of the time I ordered a pack of dried nettle off ebay only to find a whole bush of it hiding behind a broken fence in the back garden, we had just moved in and I hadn't gotten round to clearing it up yet.

Shamed to admit I've not heard of the Shawnee National Forest so I just googled it and WOW I am jealous, it looks stunning.

I love folklore and the beliefs people held like wearing a daisy chain would protect children from being swapped with a Changeling :)

This year I'm going to make elderflower wine for the first time. The flowers are just starting to form so not long now till I can get out and pick them :)
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
Twine
Banned Member

Post by Twine »

Cora wrote:That is so typical that you had a mulberry bush out the back lol reminds me of the time I ordered a pack of dried nettle off ebay only to find a whole bush of it hiding behind a broken fence in the back garden, we had just moved in and I hadn't gotten round to clearing it up yet.

Shamed to admit I've not heard of the Shawnee National Forest so I just googled it and WOW I am jealous, it looks stunning.

I love folklore and the beliefs people held like wearing a daisy chain would protect children from being swapped with a Changeling :)

This year I'm going to make elderflower wine for the first time. The flowers are just starting to form so not long now till I can get out and pick them :)
Isn't that always how it goes? >.<

I agree with you there. :) And garlic chains and vampires! I always wondered why Italy was so short of Vampires. ;D

I've never had it, though it sounds lovely. Tell me how it turns out!
Victoria Mnemosyne

Post by Victoria Mnemosyne »

Anyone know about jimsonweed? I've read of a voodoo potion that involves drinking jimsonweed sulfur and honey together, but I also heard jimsonweed is poisonous and that it causes hallucinations. Is there a safe dosage?
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

I've heard of it being used as a recreational drug to cause hallucinations. Some hedge witches use it to ride the hedge. There are serious safety concerns with it though and no safe doseage as it depends on health, lifestyle, age etc.
Bellatrix_Ramos

Post by Bellatrix_Ramos »

weird but people have said that I am like a deadly nightshade....
And I know that in Italy belladonna means beatiful woman!

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”